Poll: Do you run LFR for gear despite not enjoying the content?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    before my guild fragmented into nothing i did LFR only to maximize my chances of getting legendary quest items each week, due to my guild not being all that quick to progress.

Over the past two months i could count our raid nights on 1 hand, so i expect i'll be running LFR for SoO just to see the content a few times before i go on an extended break till the next xpac. Or maybe the promised server mergers will do wonders for recruitment, or i'll find my cojones and finally leave the guild i've been part of for what seams like forever.

I personally havent used LFR as a tool to gain gear on my main. Dont get me wrong though, i appreciate the opportunity to maybe get the odd upgrade and dont wish to see this feature changed in a radical way.

Normal raider, rarely ever get into HC in any meaningful way.
    Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong.

Deleted
    Am I the only one finding the results of this poll to be quite alarming?

It does line up perfectly with my in-game surveys done on the matter though.

Deleted
    No I don't.
    I raid Normal or Heroic almost every week, and even when we are extending tags, I usually don't raid LFR because I don't like to.
    I don't care if that meant delaying my legendary cloak by a week or two. This is no race, so I leave LFR for people who don't have time to raid Normal or heroic.

This is a game, I don't want to feel forced to do something I don't like.
    Last edited by mmoc0899dd50c7; 2013-08-27 at 12:36 AM.

I afk through lfr frequently to gear my worst alts and get the legendary cloak.

I doubt I will continue to run LFR once flex raids come out. I was an avid raider during BC and WotLK but had less time as Cata went on. A lot of my former raiding friends have either quit playing or had moved on to other guilds. I really don't have the time or the desire to rebuild a big time raid guild so flex should be nice to allow me to still raid and see all content with a more relaxed approach.

Nope. This from a heroic 10m raider.

I ran LFR a few times for laughs, but not since the beginning of MoP have I run it with the intent of getting gear. By the fourth week we're typically DE'ing stuff. Maybe if we were hardcore enough to race for server firsts it would matter, but otherwise I don't see the mandatory need for LFR that some people claim. Not that I don't believe some people are in that situation, but while I've had bad RNG streaks I've personally never been so bad off that I felt the need to hit LFR to make up for it.

Yes I feel I need to to help myself and my raid by gearing ASAP, and LFR had upgrades. It has made me hate ToT

Quote Originally Posted by Geodew View Post
    Yep! In the same way that flasking is completely optional because the fight can be done without it. Everyone should just stop flasking because there is really no point. Farming the gold for flasks is a waste of time. It's not necessary to kill the boss, so why would you do it?

(The above paragraph was complete sarcasm.)

Point being that players will run content that they don't enjoy for advantages while raiding N/H to be maximally competitive. Some advantages, like Flasks, are easily accessible and promote MMO economy. Some, like LFR, are just a grindy time sink for most players. If players are doing things they don't enjoy because they feel compelled to do so (by other aspects of that game that they do enjoy), I think that is a glaring game design flaw and I don't see why anyone would reasonably disagree.
    Explain how it is a flaw for someone that will never have a chance to run normal raids. That is the main audience. As for flasks....our guild works as a team to farm the mats needed so there is never a shortage. Farming gold takes what....30 minutes? How is that an issue?

I run LFR as well to be better geared....does it distract me from normal raids? Not at all, they are 2 separate things to me.

13/13h main, 2-3/13h alt#1, 12/12 alt#2.

I hate it, but vp capping / cloak quest for alts is required - and since my alts aren't on the same server, I don't get the 100% extra vp after my main caps.

Deleted
    Yes, I run LFR for as long as it takes to get:

New weapon
    New Trinket
    Tier/set bonuses

Do I have to? No... I just feel I should to get those little bonuses before drops on normal/hc mode.

This tier I'll likely replace LFR with flex and be done with it.

I ran it on my main when I needed secrets / whatever and we weren't clearing because we chose to progress on bosses.

I can't really bring myself to do it on alts on a regular basis unless I queue with friends. Then the only entertainment is laughing amongst ourselves at how bad people can be. I've not been mean in lfr yet but I regularly leap of faith guildies into the path of snails or the spirits on the horridon bridge on alt runs.

The poll result isn't alarming at all, well, perhaps its alarming but it's not surprising. I've long since held the belief that people will put gear over enjoyment and lfr is the only realistic gear progression path (or was for a good while) I made the remark once that if Blizz's chosen method to gear people up was to make them sift thru a massive pile of shit they would do it.

I'm looking forward to flex. It will hopefully mean I don't have to touch lfr again.

Yes. I will run anything that gives me even a 0,1% progression on my main.

And I really do not like LFR. It's fun once every 3 months when you're bored and you're with guildies and on teamspeak and you're laughing at the amount of idiots, but that gets old very fast too.

Also, I run it on alts because it is really the only practical way to gear. And yes, I hate it on alts too.

The purpose of this poll is to try to disprove Ghostcrawler's statement that Heroic raiders wouldn't need to run LFR or Flex.

Unfortunately, like just about every poll on MMO-C, this one is too pointless and doesn't prove anything. This poll specifically because it's impossible to have only heroic raiders vote on the poll -- thus skewing the results.

Of course a normal raider, and a non raider all together would not enjoy running LFR for upgrades, if they felt forced. Nobody likes being "forced".

If you look at how little heroic raiders actually run LFR, you can see Ghostcrawler's statement holds true.
    Last edited by ablib; 2013-08-27 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarG View Post
    Explain how it is a flaw for someone that will never have a chance to run normal raids. That is the main audience. As for flasks....our guild works as a team to farm the mats needed so there is never a shortage. Farming gold takes what....30 minutes? How is that an issue?

I run LFR as well to be better geared....does it distract me from normal raids? Not at all, they are 2 separate things to me.
    Did you even read that post? First, the first half of his post was sarcasm. Second, he never said LFR itself is a design flaw, but he said it's a design flaw if people who have no interest in doing LFR feel compelled to do so anyway. And I have to agree. Like back when 25 and 10 were seperate lockouts - same situation really, you feel compelled to also do 10 if you were a 25man guild because it was stupid to pass up on the bonus. They scratched that, and replaced it with something that's even worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    The purpose of this poll is to try to disprove Ghostcrawler's statement that Heroic raiders wouldn't need to run LFR or Flex.

Unfortunately, like just about every poll on MMO-C, this one is too pointless and doesn't prove anything. This poll specifically because it's impossible to have only heroic raiders vote on the poll -- thus skewing the results.
    Of course, and people realize that. It's interesting to discuss it nonetheless, as I'm pretty sure you know as well as I do, and as well as Ghostcrawler does, that any heroic and even normal raider who's worth ANYTHING at all is doing LFR, even if s/he hates it, to prepare for his proper raids. Don't really need polls for that. But those kind of players are just such a small % of the playerbase that it really doesn't matter to their design choices anyway. Clearly the majority is happy logging in and doing dailies in ungemmed gear and it's for them that LFR is meant and it's them that bring in the money, so yeah. I sincerely doubt that whatever *we* do to maximize our progress is GC and co's main concern. =)
    Last edited by Cirque; 2013-08-27 at 03:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    Yes. I will run anything that gives me even a 0,1% progression on my main.
    Then you're taking the game too seriously.

I'm all for progression. Getting that piece of gear that's such a big upgrade and all that shit, but I'm not going to do something I hate just because it'll make what I like .1% easier.

The game is a lot more enjoyable when you treat the game less like a job and more like a game.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

For me all I do is LFR. I like being able to experience the content even if its easy on my own terms.

I don't have a schedule that goes well with organized raiding.

As a normal raider with a group that tends to take most of a tier's lifetime to clear normal mode...yeah. It was weekly LFRs for me until my legendary was done. For a little while there, I was doing 3 wings a week. :/ I'm glad at least some types of raiders aren't feeling like they have to do LFR...But it things still stink for those of us that want to do our best, but aren't DEing our drops within a month (or those of us that spend an entire tier without a 522+ weapon dropping for them, like a DK I know).

Nope. I don't do LFR, there's no need to if you raid normal/heroic, so I don't bother.

I try to run LFR but so far I haven't been able to make myself do it, think I've done TOT about 3-4 times, though some bosses I've only done 1-2 times due to the fact that I could not be bothered to go back in after LFR put me in a semi cleared save (which has happened every time, atleast 1/4 of the wings).

I hate LFR, I hate doing it, I hate the people that do it and the way they treat each other, I hate the noobs and the idiots and the trolls, I hate the afk people and I hate the guys pointing fingers to distract attention from themselves. It's easy and it sucks, I have always hated pugs and having to raid with them just makes it worse. But just as bad is how easy it is, it really just feels like a pointless waste of time. I enjoy challenge in my game and get nothing from doing LFR.

So nope I don't do it, my Warrior has an average of ilvl500 and is still using a bunch of gear he had in the first weeks of the expansion, I don't do real raiding either, well to be honest I dont even play, I log in once a week to kill Illidan for Warglaives, 6 years and counting I've only got a MH. Will probably try out flex raiding with my guild.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I ran the blue fuck outta LFR the first couple weeks each wing was open. Had to get a leg up on progression!