Poll: your favorite log in screen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Aww darn, I saw this on the Recent Forum Posts and immediately thought it was covering Operating Systems.
    (Really liked Ubuntu's default log in screen. Something about the pattern of the little dots and dark window transparency fascinates me.)

Anyways, on topic. I liked the WoTLK log in.

Deleted
    I like how there is a "They all suck" option but not a "They're all good" option.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    It just seemed like WOTLK pointlessly broke the "spirit" of the login screen and replaced it with something that looked really generic and lame. To be fair, though, MoP kind of got back into the spirit with the "gateway framing login" theme.

Hopefully TDB will keep it clean and appealing again instead of a random angle shot of the sea floor with a roaring kraken that swoops in.
    agree 100% the gateway log in screens seemed more WOWish.
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

10+ Year Old Account
    BC is the best hands down, the best. No argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    WotLK was the best expansion, but nothing beats a molten dragon staring at you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic one for me, with TBC a close second. Both are pretty much the same, being the dark portal and all.
    Both felt like you where entering a portal (shocking), which to me fits perfectly with logging in to a fantasy game.

I wish they were static images. My favorite was a black background that lasted for a patch or two during a beta test, not sure if it was MoP or Cataclysm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diabl0 View Post
    I wish they were static images. My favorite was a black background that lasted for a patch or two during a beta test, not sure if it was MoP or Cataclysm.

Like this?
    That's just boring. I like the TBC and WotLk screens the most. WotLk was always fun chasing Sindragosa.

Deleted
    Classic one. It took my login screen virginity.

Not only that but it was simple, and amazing with the darker atmosphere and the "you can see a nice landscape inside the portal, where is this place?!" feel.

And the music... So damn awesome.

I miss the BC login screen, it was not too modest and not too flashy either.

I personally didn't really like any of them, but if I had to pick, then it would probably be the Vanilla one - if only for pure nostalgia. They had some great concepts for Cataclysm loading screens, it's a shame they never used them. It would be kind of cool if they added the option to choose what loading screen you want to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    Nilla / TBC, choosing TBC because it was a clever flip of the Nilla one we were all used to already, and because I spent more time with the game during BC.

Then WOTLK was like: "HEY LOOK A RANDOM DRAGON OMG!"... and Cata was like "LOOK, STORMWIND + A RANDOM DRAGON OMG" ... and MoP was like "LOOK, RANDOM STATUES". It just seemed like WOTLK pointlessly broke the "spirit" of the login screen and replaced it with something that looked really generic and lame. To be fair, though, MoP kind of got back into the spirit with the "gateway framing login" theme.

Hopefully TDB will keep it clean and appealing again instead of a random angle shot of the sea floor with a roaring kraken that swoops in.
    How on earth are the WotLK, Cata, and MoP login screens more generic than the dark portal opening onto a generic landscape?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    How on earth are the WotLK, Cata, and MoP login screens more generic than the dark portal opening onto a generic landscape?
    Because the Dark Portal is a distinct and iconic part of WoW's in-game history, essentially the root source of almost everything the players experience, and represents an in-lore gateway linking different worlds, making it a clever frame for your login box. It's subtle, referencing both the game's lore and the MMO conceit.

Whereas a random landscape with a roaring dragon is "Every fantasy setting, ever." Sure, Icecrown, ICC, and to a minor degree Sindragosa are part of WoW's lore, but it took away the distinctiveness and "Warcraft-ness" of the portal screens and didn't have that "Big world looming over you" sense of staring up at the Dark Portal.

For Cata, Deathwing smashing Stormwind is like a funny meme image — a few times is great, but every day for 2 years and it's like "OK, stop posting the Chuck Testa image." It was just too particular — rather than leaving the imagination to wander (as in Nilla, TBC, MoP), it trapped you in a 5-minute event from Stormwind's history for an entire expansion cycle.

All the screens have looked gorgeous and been technically-accomplished, so if people love them, I understand. But I feel the "gateway" theme is much more iconic and distinctive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy nostalgia, the wotlk was so incredibly annoying the poll results are absolutely hilarious. It's amazing how rose-colored glasses can ruin everything.

On topic: MoP > TBC > Vanilla > Cata >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wrath

Mop for music and because I think vale is really pretty.
    TBC because HFP and the black portal was always pretty awesome, and the song was good
    Vanilla for nostalgia, but I didn't like the music.
    Cata, it showed stormwind, but it had the worst song of any login screen
    Wrath, no, just no.
    Last edited by Arkenaw; 2013-08-29 at 03:23 AM.

Deleted
    TBC by a long shot. I wish you could switch login screens around based on your preference.

15+ Year Old Account
    Burning Crusade! Although the music for the cata screen was quite nice because it was like...an homage to all the past log-in music.

Quote Originally Posted by Keristrasza View Post
    My love was Classic's log in screen too, I miss it so much and it's music. I wish we had the choice to pick which log in we saw. I'd say my second would be Wrath of the Lich King. Sindragosa might have gotten annoying after a while but I still liked it.
    I do wish blizzard would implement this. Ive said it in similar threads in the past. There should be a tick box option on the login screen to select your version of the screen you want to login with. It should default to the current expac but you can freely choose.

vanillas log in screen is definitely the best. it was beautiful, it blended well, the music was nice, and it really gave off this feel of "welcome to the world, step in"

bcs log in screen didnt really mesh and was kind of IN YO FACE @_@ with the colours

wraths was beautiful but yeah RAWR WANNNA PLAY SUM WARCRAFTZ

cata was awful, i remember counting down the days until that face was off my screen.

mists of pandarias was nice but i didnt like how it was 2d and not 3d like all the other screens

- - - Updated - - -

so beautiful O_O
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Vanilla or TBC were my favourite for sure.

I like them all but Wotlk is my favourite.