Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Looking for a fool proof DA 10m N tactic.

Or basically: how often does he cast siphon anima?

I'd like to try the following:
    Get 6 of the small golems into the inactive medium ones, then activate boss and zerg it down.
    This would give a buffer of 4 siphon anima casts to just zerging from the start, is this enough to kill him before he reaches 100, and how much dps would it take?

Quite a bit of DPS, as he siphons on activation and every ~20 seconds IIRC.

The easiest strat is dumping smalls into inactives, then filling one massive, activating boss and nuking.

You're going to have to have 6-10 people learning how to do golems no matter what strat you do and that's going to be the hardest part of the fight.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Both tanks take 2 small golems, the rest (including healers) take a small one each.. Start by dumping the 2 on Tank A into an inactive large, then proceed to dump the 2 on Tank B into a massive.. Massive activates, proceed to dump all the small golems (aside from a single one) into it.. Use the last small golem to activate the boss.

we zerged DA week 1 in last tiers gear, what's your ilvl?

The only fool proof strat for DA is removing the fools from your raid comp sadly lol

Quote Originally Posted by Llyth View Post
    we zerged DA week 1 in last tiers gear, what's your ilvl?
    If he's looking for a "zerg strat" for normal now chances are his players can't deal enough damage to zerg it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eronath View Post
    Both tanks take 2 small golems, the rest (including healers) take a small one each.. Start by dumping the 2 on Tank A into an inactive large, then proceed to dump the 2 on Tank B into a massive.. Massive activates, proceed to dump all the small golems (aside from a single one) into it.. Use the last small golem to activate the boss.
    That still leaves too many golems up. If their raid is doing averagely, then they would still run into the fact that they will hit 100 anima. Our strat drags the fight out longer, but in the end gives you more room to DPS DA.

I would do what you said in your OP: get rid of 6 small golems by dumping those into broken large golems. Then would dump all the active small golems into one Massive golem. Mop up some other broken golems with the Massive golem until it has full Anima, pull boss and be done with it.

In general it might drag the fight out longer, but in the end gives you more room to DPS DA itself.

Looking at logs, it's a siphon every 6 seconds on normal, the first coming shortly after he activates. JUST filling up inactive larges as you describe in the OP would give you about 20 seconds to the first jolt, and about 50 seconds total to kill the boss. That'd require about 1.6M DPS. Not excessively high since you have bloodlust for most of it, but still pretty high.

I'd really recommend doing it the normal way. A single massive isn't too difficult to deal with, and is going to give you much more time to kill the boss: You won't even get your first jolt until a good 10-15seconds after he would have gone berserk the "zerg" way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    That still leaves too many golems up. If their raid is doing averagely, then they would still run into the fact that they will hit 100 anima. Our strat drags the fight out longer, but in the end gives you more room to DPS DA.
    What you quoted completely fills up a massive (12 to start, 2 into large, 9 into massive, 1 into boss), which would give them 36 siphons until 100 anima... I really hope everyone can manage to kill him before that if they got up to that fight. Personally I'd recommend both tanks putting their 2 golems into an inactive large and just using 2 inactives for convenience's sake, but what you quoted would work and would be a very simple, good way for a first normal kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Eronath View Post
    This is what we do, very easy strategy. Except we have our Disc Priest, Boomkin, and Enh Shaman kill the 2 golems on Tank A into the inactive, while the rest of our DPS kill the adds on Tank B into massive so they happen at around the same time. Found that to be easiest because Matter Swap almost always effects one of the tanks, at least in the way we stand.

Really simple overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post

I would do what you said in your OP: get rid of 6 small golems by dumping those into broken large golems. Then would dump all the active small golems into one Massive golem. Mop up some other broken golems with the Massive golem until it has full Anima, pull boss and be done with it.

In general it might drag the fight out longer, but in the end gives you more room to DPS DA itself.
    You appear confused about the mechanics of the fight. The boss will get the same amount of anima after 10 draws doing this strat as he would with the strat you quoted. As a matter of fact, absolutely nothing changes that fact except activating a second massive, or killing golems into a massive after some draws have been done (a common strategy for heroic that I will ignore here.) All you have done is delay how long before the anima font comes, which may have been your intent, but your post indicates you believe you are increasing the duration of the fight. You are mistaken. Here's why:

Each draw anima takes away 1 anima from any golem that has anima in it. Large anima golems hold 8, anima golems hold 4, and the massive 36. Now, if you use your strat, you've dumped 6 into larges, and then filled up a massive, plus killed one into Dark Animus to activate him. This means you've eliminated (6 + 9 + 1) = 16. Nine remain in the room that are inactive and will provide anima for the boss on draws. On those inactives is 4 anima a pop, so after 4 draws, he will have taken all their anima for a total of 36, + the 4 he started with for forty.

Meanwhile, he'll have gained 16 more during this time from drawing on your 3 large inactives + the massive (4 x 4.) That means he's at 56 after 4 draws. After 4 more draws, he'll have drained the larges and gathered 16 more, for a total of 72. Three draws later, 1 a pop from the only remaining mob (the massive) and he'll reach 75 and begin doing interrupting jolts. It will still take him another 25, for a total of 36, to enrage on normal mode.

Let us consider that number. 11. How many ways can you change the fight to make it so he doesn't reach interrupting jolt by 11? The only answers are to either put more anima into the massives at some point in the encounter, before the golems have all been drained, or activate the second massive. Absolutely nothing else can change that fact. Doing so will also extend the enrage, but realistically, I don't see how you can ever reach the enrage while activating and filling a massive on normal. You'd die to healers running OOM first.

If you do not use any large inactive golems at all (this would be silly, because you'd be holding on to 3 active golems or dumping them into the boss to trigger anima font earlier for no reason,) you will still reach interrupting jolt at 11 draws. Again, without killing golems into massives after draw has happened at least once, nothing you do will change that fact either.

10+ Year Old Account
    All you have done is delay how long before the anima font comes, which may have been your intent, but your post indicates you believe you are increasing the duration of the fight.
    I am saying that it takes time to collect golems, drag massive to dead golems. It just prolongs the first phase of DA. When you don't have the boss.

Deleted
    It's not that we couldn't kill him, i'm just tired of useless wipes on a boss that should be on farm since a long time ago.
    (usually to people getting killed by linked golems thanks to matter swap, or random deaths to combinations of matter swap and interrupting jolt)

What i did get out of this thread however, is that our tactic of 2 into inactive large, rest -1 into massive seems to offer no real advantage to filling up all the inactive golems first, then filling up the massive with inactive small ones, and THEN pull Animus.
    This would make for 4 less golems that potentially run across the room killing people while filling up the massive one.
    Combined with having 2 designated people (without small golems beating on them) spread out for matter swap, this shoul eliminate a lot of room for error and help getting more consistant kills on the first pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiah View Post
    Each draw anima takes away 1 anima from any golem that has anima in it. Large anima golems hold 8, anima golems hold 4, and the massive 36. Now, if you use your strat, you've dumped 6 into larges, and then filled up a massive, plus killed one into Dark Animus to activate him. This means you've eliminated (6 + 9 + 1) = 16. Nine remain in the room that are inactive and will provide anima for the boss on draws. On those inactives is 4 anima a pop, so after 4 draws, he will have taken all their anima for a total of 36, + the 4 he started with for forty.

Meanwhile, he'll have gained 16 more during this time from drawing on your 3 large inactives + the massive (4 x 4.) That means he's at 56 after 4 draws. After 4 more draws, he'll have drained the larges and gathered 16 more, for a total of 72. Three draws later, 1 a pop from the only remaining mob (the massive) and he'll reach 75 and begin doing interrupting jolts. It will still take him another 25, for a total of 36, to enrage on normal mode.

Let us consider that number. 11. How many ways can you change the fight to make it so he doesn't reach interrupting jolt by 11? The only answers are to either put more anima into the massives at some point in the encounter, before the golems have all been drained, or activate the second massive. Absolutely nothing else can change that fact. Doing so will also extend the enrage, but realistically, I don't see how you can ever reach the enrage while activating and filling a massive on normal. You'd die to healers running OOM first.

If you do not use any large inactive golems at all (this would be silly, because you'd be holding on to 3 active golems or dumping them into the boss to trigger anima font earlier for no reason,) you will still reach interrupting jolt at 11 draws. Again, without killing golems into massives after draw has happened at least once, nothing you do will change that fact either.
    If he's at 56 after 4 draws, killing a small inactive one into the massive at two should change that to 54 after 4 draws, with a massive at 34 and 3 large still at 4 for 4 anima total per draw.
    that would be 58 after 5, now allowing for an additional large golem (inactive) to be filled into the massive, reducing it to 3 targets.
    3 more and we're at 67 anima after the 8th siphon, resulting in first jolt at siphon 16. or in other words, half a minute later into the fight.

Or to simplify: just killing one inactive large at 4 draws should give us a solid 24 seconds of happy dps time at worst case.
    Now thats something to work with, should give us plenty of room to not experience jolt 3 or even jolt 2 before he's dead.
    Last edited by mmoc0c8f6d1d73; 2013-09-03 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Envar View Post
    Or basically: how often does he cast siphon anima?

I'd like to try the following:
    Get 6 of the small golems into the inactive medium ones, then activate boss and zerg it down.
    This would give a buffer of 4 siphon anima casts to just zerging from the start, is this enough to kill him before he reaches 100, and how much dps would it take?
    He casts Siphon anima every 6 seconds and, iirc, he start casting ass soon as he is awaken (contrary to HM where he waits 2min and then siphon every 30s).
    So, you have to kill it in 24s. I Don't know how much dps it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    He casts Siphon anima every 6 seconds and, iirc, he start casting ass soon as he is awaken (contrary to HM where he waits 2min and then siphon every 30s).
    So, you have to kill it in 24s. I Don't know how much dps it takes.
    I doubt it's every 6 seconds. We've done him by activating him at the start, and yes he gets full energy in 4 siphons but our kill was in 59 seconds and he just reached full energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
    I doubt it's every 6 seconds. We've done him by activating him at the start, and yes he gets full energy in 4 siphons but our kill was in 59 seconds and he just reached full energy.
    That means he doesn't start to drain immediatly. That was the part I wasn't sure about.

Some logs would be nice from these people claiming to have simply activated him and burned him down on normal mode. This is from a random log I found:

Code:
    [20:46:24.157] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:25.032] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:25.719] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:26.391] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:29.319] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:34.970] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:40.189] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:46.266] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:52.287] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:57.951] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    source

He casts it 4 times in ~4 seconds as soon as he activates to prevent that kind of strat (and every 5-6s after that). My guild tried this a few months ago during our normal mode achievement clear. He went Full Power almost immediately.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2013-09-03 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    Some logs would be nice from these people claiming to have simply activated him and burned him down on normal mode. This is from a random log I found:

Code:
    [20:46:24.157] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:25.032] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:25.719] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:26.391] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:29.319] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:34.970] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:40.189] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:46.266] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:52.287] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    [20:46:57.951] Dark Animus casts Siphon Anima
    source

He casts it 4 times in ~4 seconds as soon as he activates to prevent that kind of strat (and every 5-6s after that). My guild tried this a few months ago during our normal mode achievement clear. He went Full Power almost immediately.
    that would appear to be a broken log (maybe the logger lagged out for abit?) that is just part of this kill http://worldoflogs.com/reports/stzpk...=13653&e=13801
    in normal mode the dark animus cast his siphon anima once every 5-6 seconds from 5-6 seconds into the fight.
    Last edited by Peachpies; 2013-09-03 at 08:43 PM.

Looking at other random logs, it appears you're right. My bad; I should have checked a few others before posting.

I must be misremembering our failed normal zerg because we were surprised by how quickly he hit Full Power (that would be 25-30s) on the assumption that it was a 20s Siphon timer like heroic. Plus, it was months ago.

Doing the math, you need ~3m raid DPS to pull this off (80m HP / 25-30s). If you can live through Full Power for a bit (very reasonable with some raid CDs; it doesn't quite one-shot on normal), that number drops quickly. That definitely seems doable considering how high certain classes burst. You could also just fill inactive Larges before activating Animus and you'll buy more time without adding difficulty.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2013-09-03 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Envar View Post
    If he's at 56 after 4 draws, killing a small inactive one into the massive at two should change that to 54 after 4 draws, with a massive at 34 and 3 large still at 4 for 4 anima total per draw.
    that would be 58 after 5, now allowing for an additional large golem (inactive) to be filled into the massive, reducing it to 3 targets.
    3 more and we're at 67 anima after the 8th siphon, resulting in first jolt at siphon 16. or in other words, half a minute later into the fight.

Or to simplify: just killing one inactive large at 4 draws should give us a solid 24 seconds of happy dps time at worst case.
    Now thats something to work with, should give us plenty of room to not experience jolt 3 or even jolt 2 before he's dead.
    You are absolutely correct, and this is what I referred to when I said killing anima golems into the massive after draws. If you want simplicity, I'd avoid this (as especially with the larges, mistakes are quite possible.) On the other hand, you will not only avoid jolts, but be more prepared for heroic. Admittedly this last goal is rather moot, as I expect with the nerfs that this fight will be zerged on heroic by the vast majority of raids that even bother going back. If your team can manage doing this without any goofs, you'll definitely reduce the number of jolts drastically and take a major burden off the healers.