Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Eh, 21 reps isn't bad. He has really long arms which can sometimes make it a weak workout. This is coming from a guy who's always had a weak bench relative to the rest of his workouts =P
    It's legitimate. Aldon Smith, albeit a different player coming out of college, had 20 reps. Smith had 35 3/8" arms, and Clowney's at 34 1/2". Whether guys who knock Clowney want to acknowledge it or not, there is a correlation. For every Mario Williams who puts up 35 reps, there's a Von Miller who put up 20 - 21.

I'm looking at who runs the faster 40 tomorrow between Gilbert and Dennard, though. I'll bank on Dennard running in the mid 4.3's to low 4.4's. Gilbert might be a hair faster than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    God also told him he'd end up in Seattle.

lol
    the guy needs to focus, maybe somebody on the team can hook him up with some adderall

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=5925

He had an ok career playing in a system that only rushed 4 guys most of the time.
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunken View Post
    I think this is the longest I've gone without seeing an article about Peyton Manning.
    even more shocking is the lack of Tony Romo hype. Seriously with all the attention this guy gets you would think hes walking around with 3 rings. Does he even have a playoff win yet? I used to think Dale Earnhardt JR was the most over rated loser in Sports. But Im pretty sure Tony Romo has that honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    even more shocking is the lack of Tony Romo hype. Seriously with all the attention this guy gets you would think hes walking around with 3 rings. Does he even have a playoff win yet? I used to think Dale Earnhardt JR was the most over rated loser in Sports. But Im pretty sure Tony Romo has that honor.
    Romo has 1 playoff win.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Romo has 1 playoff win.
    oh yeah thats right. He has the same amount of playoff wins in the last 10 years as the Jacksonville Jaguars. Seriously someone tell me why he gets so much hype? Tom Brady has been to 5 superbowls in 10 years and you hear more about Tony Romo? Do people just feel sorry for Romo and maybe if they pay him attention he will feel better about himself?

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yeah but only 21 reps on the bench press. He lost weight too. Guy specifically trained to be fast today. It's impressive, but it's a show. If he were asked to actually play football in this shape he'd be less effective then he's been in the past.
    That's all the combine is anyway, a show. Just look at Jason Pierre-Paul. Granted, he's a great pass rusher, but his draft stock increased because he could do a shitload of backflips in a row at the combine. People put entirely too much stock in the combine.

Aldon Smith only put up 20 presses. I know he plays OLB in the NFL, but he was a DE in college. Clowney could easily slot into an OLB position.

http://www.sprayberryfootball.com/pa...ombine-records

who are 75% of those guys again? Combine is pretty meaningless. SR bowl and pro-days are where its at. Although it is pretty funny listening to Mayock and Eisen commentating.

http://www.sprayberryfootball.com/pa...ombine-records

who are 75% of those guys again? Combine is pretty meaningless. SR bowl and pro-days are where its at. Although it is pretty funny listening to Mayock and Eisen commentating.
    Honestly. I recognize a shitload of these players.

oh yeah thats right. He has the same amount of playoff wins in the last 10 years as the Jacksonville Jaguars. Seriously someone tell me why he gets so much hype? Tom Brady has been to 5 superbowls in 10 years and you hear more about Tony Romo? Do people just feel sorry for Romo and maybe if they pay him attention he will feel better about himself?
    Hype? Every time somebody mentions Romo they usually end up ripping him so not sure where this hype talk is comin from unless you maybe live in Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Hype? Every time somebody mentions Romo they usually end up ripping him so not sure where this hype talk is comin from unless you maybe live in Dallas
    They probably rip him in Dallas too. There are two instances when Tony Romo is over-hyped. During any game that Tony Romo is playing in. Anywhere that Jerry Jones is within earshot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Word on the twitter is Zach Miller and Chris Clemons will both be released.

That is pretty surprising... I could see one of them. Not both. Especially because the salary cap could exceed 132m now.

That is pretty surprising... I could see one of them. Not both. Especially because the salary cap could exceed 132m now.
    Zach Miller getting released would bad. Baldwin/Tate are great on the outside and Harvin is obviously a playmaker, but a fast defense can handle those three if they're good enough. Wilson needs a dude to dump the ball off in the middle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zach Miller getting released would bad. Baldwin/Tate are great on the outside and Harvin is obviously a playmaker, but a fast defense can handle those three if they're good enough. Wilson needs a dude to dump the ball off in the middle.
    Well, can always draft one. Don't think the free agent market is any good for TE's this year (not counting Jimmy Graham) I know, cause I looked at the list of free agents a while ago for the Patriots.

I'm sure Seattle will be able to do something, or at the worst re-sign Miller at a better price.

It's not that surprising. They don't want to pay Miller the $1M roster bonus and 200k workout bonus. Plus he frees up $5M in cap space. Clemons is the oldest player on the defense. Bryant's cap number is $1.1M less than Clemons and cutting Clemons would free up $2M more than if they cut Bryant. Even if the cap hits $132M, the Seahawks are still slightly over it. Clemons, Rice, and Miller will free up around $17M in space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Miller is pretty damn underrated. If you watch the games he was hurt this year, it was butt cheek clench fest. Least for me.

It is a good TE draft, so we'll see. My friend has been hyping up us getting ASJ.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Well, can always draft one. Don't think the free agent market is any good for TE's this year (not counting Jimmy Graham) I know, cause I looked at the list of free agents a while ago for the Patriots.

I'm sure Seattle will be able to do something, or at the worst re-sign Miller at a better price.
    I do not want Graham. Would rather draft new talent if releasing Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    It's not that surprising. They don't want to pay Miller the $1M roster bonus and 200k workout bonus. Plus he frees up $5M in cap space. Clemons is the oldest player on the defense. Bryant's cap number is $1.1M less than Clemons and cutting Clemons would free up $2M more than if they cut Bryant. Even if the cap hits $132M, the Seahawks are still slightly over it. Clemons, Rice, and Miller will free up around $17M in space.
    I don't like it. Was really hoping he'd restructure. No doubt he'll have a new team pretty quickly after getting cut.

So as a foreigner I have some questions about the draft.

Do the draftees actually get a say in where they are going? Are all the contracts the same? I mean, why does a draftee need to pick a team if he can make a lot more at another one?
    And is there a set amount of years for the lenght of the contract? If a draftee is confident that he will shine in the NFL, then perhaps he wants a shorter contract so he can go for a big paying contract earlier (and reduce chances of injuries keeping him away from a big pay day). That would be 1 possible reason but I guess for some a longer contract would be better.

How about free agents etc.? Can a player be "bought" from a team like we do in our football across the pond or is it only possible to sign a free agent? For a free agent, is there anything going back to the old team as a "experience charge" or something like that?

And finally, how fixed are these contracts? I always get the idea that a player can get released from a team at any point in time right? That means the contract becomes voided, no more paycheck? So when they say a player signed a say "5 year, $100 million contract" that basically means nothing if they cut him after 6 months right? How about when he is injured? Is there no clause that they need to keep him for at least a year or so and try to get him fit again?

Anyways, a lot of questions sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post

Do the draftees actually get a say in where they are going? Are all the contracts the same? I mean, why does a draftee need to pick a team if he can make a lot more at another one?
    And is there a set amount of years for the lenght of the contract? If a draftee is confident that he will shine in the NFL, then perhaps he wants a shorter contract so he can go for a big paying contract earlier (and reduce chances of injuries keeping him away from a big pay day). That would be 1 possible reason but I guess for some a longer contract would be better.
    The player doesn't get a say, though they can hold out or maintain an unwillingness to play for a certain team in hopes they will be traded but this seldom happens. The contracts now are generally 3-4 years, with some having options beyond that.

How about free agents etc.? Can a player be "bought" from a team like we do in our football across the pond or is it only possible to sign a free agent? For a free agent, is there anything going back to the old team as a "experience charge" or something like that?
    When a contract expires the player is an unrestricted free agent and can sign anywhere, the NFL uses a "franchise tag" system to retain rights to a player, in using it a team must pay the average salary of the top 3 players* at the position on a one year contract. The franchise tag irks the player, they want a longer term deal, and they want to determine who with, but it can be useful if negotiations are stalling as a bridge to a longer contract.

And finally, how fixed are these contracts? I always get the idea that a player can get released from a team at any point in time right? That means the contract becomes voided, no more paycheck? So when they say a player signed a say "5 year, $100 million contract" that basically means nothing if they cut him after 6 months right? How about when he is injured? Is there no clause that they need to keep him for at least a year or so and try to get him fit again?
    Contracts are generally negotiated with a large bonus at signing so that some measure of security is gained. A contract is often judged by the amount of "guaranteed money" the players gets, not the $100 million figure, but the ~$40 million they will get even if they are released (See Albert Haynesworth).

*-I think it's the top 3, or, it is a 10% raise from the final year of the previous contract, whichever is higher, and if they try to use the franchise tag a second year in a row, its a further 10% raise, this is from memory and its 3am but I think it is accurate

No they dont
    No they arent
    They dont pick, they get drafted. Teams pick them
    Yes, all deals are 4 years minimum. No exceptions
    Only free agents are signable
    Not sure what an experience charge is, so cant say
    Contracts typically have guaranteed money and salary. Guaranteed you get no matter what (assuming you dont void the contract) and salary is based per year
    Most all deals have some sort of guaranteed money or signing bonus so a player would still get something even if cut. Typically teams will wait until those guaranteed portions of the contract are all taken care of before releasing.
    Injured players receive their contracts still

I think that about covers it

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Yes they do if they draftee is popular enough.

John Elway
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...for-30-special
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2776891
    http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/3...ecame-a-bronco

Eli Manning
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1537944
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...forgot-i-think

It is rare, but a draftee can dictate where he plays.
    You cared enough to post.