Are lock dps very gear dependent?

Or am I doing something wrong...which could be possible. I have an ilvl of 487 and im only doing 35k on boss fights as affliction. Granted I have nothing geared or enchanted I still feel like this is impossibly low.

My opener is as follows:
    Curse of the Elements -> Dark Soul: Misery -> Haunt -> Soulburn: Soul Swap -> Malefic Grasp until all procs up -> Soulburn: Soul Swap -> Malefic Grasp spam

My priority is:
    Apply Agony Icon Agony and keep it up.
    Apply Corruption Icon Corruption and keep it up.
    Apply Unstable Affliction Icon Unstable Affliction and keep it up.
    Cast Haunt
    Cast MG

Yes, affliction is really gear depended, you will be way better off with destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqur View Post
    Yes, affliction is really gear depended, you will be way better off with destruction.
    I actually just tried destro and am doing 45k with no cds which is a bit better.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aff got raped destro is the way to go right now if you have terrible gear.

Deleted
    Just like every spec that gets nerfed patch after patch, the result is that at low gear levels the spec is shit. (fire mage would come to mind)

Deleted
    Affliction is especially so with its haste breakpoints for dot ticks, Destruction a little less due to only really requiring the right trinkets for chaos bolts. Demonology is the least gear dependent of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by I-NO View Post
    Destro has always been the way to go with lower gear, except when MoP was first released and non hit-capped Affliction was a thing that people did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I-NO View Post
    LOL affliction didn't get raped.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    LOL affliction didn't get raped.
    At lower gear levels it did get raped. Anyone that tries to argue that point should uninstall.

Sig made by Shyama. Click sig for current Warlock armory.

Affliction starts off weak at low ilvls, due to low base damage, but scales incredibly well when you get full set of normal SoO gear. Destruction starts off with higher base damage, so its good for lower ilvls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now destruction is pretty much the cookie cutter spec for low ilvls (like pre 560 i suppose), affliction and demonology (yes even demo) get really good once you get specific gear for them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gynshon View Post
    At lower gear levels it did get raped. Anyone that tries to argue that point should uninstall.
    this. it got nerfed every new content because it´s scaling way to good which means it sucks on low ilvl and is still very strong on the current contents ilvl.

though, 35k / 45k dps seems quite low even with 487 ilvl. Got no actual numbers here, but i was doing about 90k dps with an alt hunter pre 5.3 around the same ilvl. should be at least close to those numbers since destro got buffed all the way
    It would help alot if you would link your armory
    Last edited by mmocac301e9072; 2013-10-10 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyna View Post
    this. it got nerfed every new content because it´s scaling way to good which means it sucks on low ilvl and is still very strong on the current contents ilvl.

though, 35k / 45k dps seems quite low even with 487 ilvl. Got no actual numbers here, but i was doing about 90k dps with an alt hunter pre 5.3 around the same ilvl. should be at least close to those numbers since destro got buffed all the way
    It would help alot if you would link your armory
    I didnt think it mattered to link my armory, I just hit 90 and just ran around timeless getting chests and rare kills to get gear and got to 487. nothing is chanted or gemmed. Im doing 70k in the Raid Finder raids as destro so maybe its a mix of things i was doing wrong, and poor scaling.