Poll: How many missed meals are we from anarchy/revolution?

Thread: Nine or Three?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Nine or Three?

I was reminded today of a saying that's been around for a while.

"Three meals from anarchy, nine meals from revolution."

There are a number of variations and the three meals one seems to date all the back to Ancient Rome.

So, with all the talk lately of big government and SNAP and, well, everything. I pondered, how many missed meals do you think we are from anarchy/revolution? Three, Nine, another number or not applicable anymore?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Depends when my last big shop was, I usually buy a months worth in bulk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure Anarchy/Revolution is a long way off. People generally aren't even hungry.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Pretty sure Anarchy/Revolution is a long way off. People generally aren't even hungry.
    greece comes to mind
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    greece comes to mind
    Greece didn't descend into revolution. But even if it had, Greece and the US are fundamentally different. Greece's tax base sucked ass, while the US has the largest tax base in the world. People in the US don't go hungry, unless they obstinately decide to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    greece comes to mind
    Greece had a few riots, but they didn't, and wouldn't, descend into anarchy.

...unless someone ruins the kelftiko, then, panayia mou, that's not even worth thinking about.

For all the wrong in the world I still have faith in humanity. Any ones life will only measure .005% of human existence where that is only what, 3% of estimated earths existence? In these short lots of time, oddballs surface and blow our minds with the level of cruelty they take pleasure in but we as a whole better understand our self as we stomp these worms out. Overall we as a people don't wish to harm one another. We feel more now than ever, you can call it metro-sexual but it's really more about evolving empathy and the disregard of fear. Seeing no need for a title or idea as we continue to reevaluate. Of course others look to profit or control but overall we move in the same general direction of seeking comfort and avoiding tragedy.

Ozymandias failed to see with his peoples eyes, so miss Breaking Bad...

15+ Year Old Account
    Greece didn't descend into revolution. But even if it had, Greece and the US are fundamentally different. Greece's tax base sucked ass, while the US has the largest tax base in the world. People in the US don't go hungry, unless they obstinately decide to do so.
    well true, but i don´t think you need a large base, if a few percent see no future anymore and find one that leads them it´s on

i do wonder at times how americans are able to defend their situation while knowing how other countries are doing

for example, i have less work days than days free per year

now, i do work 11 hours per day, but only 4 days a week, and as i should only have to work 40 hours per week i get 4 hours per week to replace work hours, with the 3 day weekend, 200 hours/5 week holiday and the 4 hours per week i have to be less than 150 days per year at work

i don´t live to work, i work to make a living, yes i´m lucky and no not everyone has to be that few days at work, i´m able to make my own duty roster, though i have to be on demand, so if i´m on a free day at home i could be called anytime and have to work (but that´s compensated even better, either with money or 1.5 times in free time)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Greece had a few riots, but they didn't, and wouldn't, descend into anarchy.

...unless someone ruins the kelftiko, then, panayia mou, that's not even worth thinking about.
    well i was thinking about revolution in the first place not about anarchy
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only way you'd get enough Greeks to rise up in revolution is if you banned their traditional breakfast...

10+ Year Old Account
    Other; Lots

The revolution will not be televised.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The only way you'd get enough Greeks to rise up in revolution is if you banned their traditional breakfast...

lool

that´s probably the easiest way yes *ggg*

well true, but i don´t think you need a large base, if a few percent see no future anymore and find one that leads them it´s on

i do wonder at times how americans are able to defend their situation while knowing how other countries are doing

for example, i have less work days than days free per year

now, i do work 11 hours per day, but only 4 days a week, and as i should only have to work 40 hours per week i get 4 hours per week to replace work hours, with the 3 day weekend, 200 hours/5 week holiday and the 4 hours per week i have to be less than 150 days per year at work

i don´t live to work, i work to make a living, yes i´m lucky and no not everyone has to be that few days at work, i´m able to make my own duty roster, though i have to be on demand, so if i´m on a free day at home i could be called anytime and have to work (but that´s compensated even better, either with money or 1.5 times in free time)

- - - Updated - - -

What exactly is our situation? We work 5 days a week opposed to 4? REVOLUTION!We have a different philosophical outlook on work then Europe. Your way is not right. Our way is not right. They both just simply, are the way it is. Most people here don't try to defend their situation because, well we don't feel like we are in a "situation."
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    What exactly is our situation?
    probably the "you have to work hard" mentality that answers every idea of helping their own communities and the big no to holidays

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ave_by_country

probably the "you have to work hard" mentality that answers every idea of helping their own communities and the big no to holidays

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ave_by_country
    ok. Neat. So do you see that chart and tihnk that we don't get ANY time off? Or that we don't have paid vacation and holidays?

15+ Year Old Account
    ok. Neat. So do you see that chart and tihnk that we don't get ANY time off? Or that we don't have paid vacation and holidays?
    no i think that some have and some don´t

no i think that some have and some don´t
    I won't argue that we don't work far more days then you guys...or even if that is a good thing (don't see it as good or bad, or certainly anything that needs defense). I will say I've had some pretty crummy jobs, and everyone of them (excluding part time) have offered paid vacation, holidays off (or 1.5 pay on holidays), or Paid time off to be used when the employee needs it. We are HARDLY toiling away in the camps over here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I won't argue that we don't work far more days then you guys...or even if that is a good thing (don't see it as good or bad, or certainly anything that needs defense). I will say I've had some pretty crummy jobs, and everyone of them (excluding part time) have offered paid vacation, holidays off (or 1.5 pay on holidays), or Paid time off to be used when the employee needs it. We are HARDLY toiling away in the camps over here.
    Hmm, I don't think I had a job that paid time off until after I graduated from college. Every hourly job I ever had didn't pay time off for anything. That's one coffee shop in Barnes and Noble, one ice cream store, and one family owned restaurant.

Of course now I get 20 paid leave days a year including sick days and vacation. 30 if you count holidays. More if someone dies and I get bereavement, or I have a baby and need some new daddy time.

Hmm, I don't think I had a job that paid time off until after I graduated from college. Every hourly job I ever had didn't pay time off for anything. That's one coffee shop in Barnes and Noble, one ice cream store, and one family owned restaurant.
    were those mostly part time jobs? I know it was anecdotal, and there certainly are exceptions. Just pointing out that we are not slave labor.

10+ Year Old Account
    were those mostly part time jobs? I know it was anecdotal, and there certainly are exceptions. Just pointing out that we are not slave labor.
    Well they were all hourly. The restaurant one I worked 40 hours/week for 8 months straight at one point, and 30-35 hours/week the rest of the time. Does that qualify as full time?

Well they were all hourly. The restaurant one I worked 40 hours/week for 8 months straight at one point, and 30-35 hours/week the rest of the time. Does that qualify as full time?
    lol yes it does. Like I said there are exceptions.