Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Servers even with the perception of being better or more hardcore would flood with bad players hopping latch on to others. After awhile Blizzard would water down things to suit those people and we would be right back where we are now.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When the game is losing subs, and youre having to merge servers (connected realms) you dont FURTHER split the playerbase with new realm types.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by cyqu View Post
    It effects everyone, very few players have the mentality to properly raid anymore because of lfr. The facts are in the numbers and in simple in game interaction over the years. I'm quite a social person on any server I've played on and have made friends at all levels of progression and it's pretty easy to see the way views have changed in the more event years since lfr has popped up.
    Except the opposite. The player base continues to get better. Just because you have a higher visibility to idiots IN LFR doesn't mean there are more existing. Blizzard has even mentioned that they have to continue making more and more complicated raiding encounters to keep up with the skill(and addons)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Look at the 5 threads ongoing now for the answer. This is an option that is needed and would be popular. It wouldn't hurt you so why the concern?
    this is NOT needed at all.
    This is what people want, but if it's necessary? hell no.

And i heard blizzard already pays 500.000 dollar daily to keep the servers up, which also means that goes up if they get more servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

I suspected push back but I think you could all come to the realization that this would be beneficial, and you would not have to deal with us so-called elitist assholes. This would work, it would work very well. I do not see downsides, please state any concerns besides just ignore LFR.

- - - Updated - - -

No. Same instances. 5 mans re-tuned and LFR gone.

- - - Updated - - -

You forget, there is a pvp and pve option already on server option lists. That makes no sense.
    By your logic the pve servers would need to block off all pvp content and pvp server to block off all pve content. Hell, as a guy who plays on a pvp server who mainly pvp, I hate getting jibed by heroic pve player. I have no option but to do pve content if I want the best pvp gear. You on the other hand lose nothing from not doing the stuff you don't like. There are "hard" 5 mans (sorry I find it hard to take anyone seriously who thinks Cata or TBC short of a few trash pulls, hard), in the form of hardmodes. There is absolutely no need to do lfr to progress. I know you will hitch about the trinkets, but guess what.. Back in vanilla I wasted countless hours of my life grinding easy mind numbing and boring rep/resist/flask mats/scourge insignias to do raids. So doing a couple lfr's per week should feed your nostalgia, not hinder it.
    Last edited by alt-ithist; 2013-10-24 at 05:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Look at the 5 threads ongoing now for the answer. This is an option that is needed and would be popular. It wouldn't hurt you so why the concern?
    Let's do some happy math time here

Straight from the statistics at the bottom of MMO-Champion:
    Members
    Active Members

So let's assume we're working from the 7.7M subscriber number.

That means that the total membership of MMO-C amounts to 4.977377% of the subscribers.
    The active members computes to 0.397325% of the subscribers.

Let's go a step further and say that only about 10% of the active members actually post on threads involving game play. That now comes in at a whopping 0.03974% of the subscribers.

This, of course, is all assuming that 100% of the current members referenced above are still actively playing WoW, and 100% of those members completely support the idea being brought forward. Any statements claiming that "the players want this" based purely on the fact that it's posted on MMO-C are most likely not the case.

Saying, instead, that about 1500 players (we'll go for roughly half of the "10% of the active members") support this idea, and then taking that number to Blizzard as the basis for the immediate implementation of said idea is probably over-stating the number of players who would actually jump at something
    Last edited by Bleys; 2013-10-24 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragore View Post
    Because Heroic breeds elitist people who feel self entitled to everything, to the majority of the Heroic crowd they just want to feel special. They clear it in a couple hours week one an they are bored with the game then complain how boring the game is now and that they have nothing to do.
    A couple hours a week? I'm not sure what heroic progression groups you're looking at, but guilds like Method, Paragon, and Blood Legion run 15-hour days for the 1-2 weeks of each tier with only short breaks and maybe an hour for dinner. The lightest schedule for top-20 raid groups is probably Irradiated with about 20 hours/week, and Midwinter and ScrubBusters at about 30 hours/week for 3+ weeks while the very top are closer to 100 hours/week.

Paragon had 500+ wipes in 12 days on Heroic Ragnaros, which is a 15-minute fight.
    http://www.paragon.fi/news/ragnaros-25-man-heroic-dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltopperpete View Post
    A couple hours a week? I'm not sure what heroic progression groups you're looking at, but guilds like Method, Paragon, and Blood Legion run 15-hour days for the 1-2 weeks of each tier with only short breaks and maybe an hour for dinner. The lightest schedule for top-20 raid groups is probably Irradiated with about 20 hours/week, and Midwinter and ScrubBusters at about 30 hours/week for 3+ weeks while the very top are closer to 100 hours/week.

Paragon had 500+ wipes in 12 days on Heroic Ragnaros, which is a 15-minute fight.
    http://www.paragon.fi/news/ragnaros-25-man-heroic-dead
    You missed the point in what I was trying to make.

or they could just make difficult heroics, that you cant lf for, next expansion that drop lfr loot.
    With that you solve both your problems: lack of challenging 5 mans and having to run lfr

Its like a new kind of server, just without the completely unecessary and unhelpfull division of the playerbase.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

10+ Year Old Account
    My god, another one of these anti-LFR posts? Five minutes passed by already?

Look, we get you elitists don't like LFR and want to make people stare at your 'hard earned' (lol) purples, but seriously... *sigh* I should just have a cut paste version of this by now.

1) Logistically, this is wrong. Creating new server types for special snowflakes AKA YOU, emphasis on Flake, is that you are a teeny tiny itty bitty insignificant part of the user base who, get this: DOESN'T PAY ANY MORE OR LESS THAN THE CASUALS YOU HATE.

2) See Stormreaver. EverQuest tried this elitist approach before there was a wow. And while it worked at first, there wasn't enough of a population to keep it afloat. It was full of spoiled pricks who complained everytime someone killed a boss they didn't think should be killed. Even though they get better items, more content and better GM services for an additional $15 a month, they still complained the rest of the community existed. It's impossible to please people like you, you are what we call in the retail industry a 'perpetual asshole'. You will always complain and find things to complain about until you get your way. And when you do, you will complain others get their way too. Furor. Tigole. Those were a couple of the whiniest ones out there, but they avoided it like the plague because of....

3) ... it's the exact oppisite of FTP, it's PTP. PTP is an evil that should never be mentioned into MMOs. Christ there's enough classism in real life I don't want it in my gaming. EVER.

My god man, avoid LFR and shut up about it. Do challenge modes. Try, I dunno, making friends instead of people that show up to raid with you. You want more challenge it's there. Too lazy to find it, you're no better than the casual people you hate. In fact, you're worse.

Deleted
    just dont run lfr ? enter 5 men dungeons naked or semi naked... no need for new servers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bleys View Post
    Let's do some happy math time here

Straight from the statistics at the bottom of MMO-Champion:
    Members
    Active Members

So let's assume we're working from the 7.7M subscriber number.

That means that the total membership of MMO-C amounts to 4.977377% of the subscribers.
    The active members computes to 0.397325% of the subscribers.

Let's go a step further and say that only about 10% of the active members actually post on threads involving game play. That now comes in at a whopping 0.03974% of the subscribers.

This, of course, is all assuming that 100% of the current members referenced above are still actively playing WoW, and 100% of those members completely support the idea being brought forward. Any statements claiming that "the players want this" based purely on the fact that it's posted on MMO-C are most likely not the case.

Saying, instead, that about 1500 players (we'll go for roughly half of the "10% of the active members") support this idea, and then taking that number to Blizzard as the basis for the immediate implementation of said idea is probably over-stating the number of players who would actually jump at something
    Maths, ruining childish dreams since time began.

If you want harder dungeons and raids just bring less people and have some fun nights, like topless raid nights, no one can wear chest armor! Lose a piece of gear can make fights a bit harder and to some funner.
    Sorry guys I was distracted by the naked blood elf to my right, I didn't know I was standing in fire.

Deleted
    You make the assumption that players who only want easy content do LFR, it's wrong. I thought challenge modes were so much more fun than standard heroics and I wished some of the mechanics from challenge modes were kept for heroic as well, albeit with some tweaking, it's perfectly reasonable to clear them within an hour with any old pug. Now comes LFR, they're more about convenience than difficulty for me, I like to log on, queue up and get in a raid group, I don't like attending scheduled raid times and I never have since Kara in TBC, while I do play for a large amount of time and through most common raid schedules, I don't want to tie myself down to such a strict schedule. With LFR it doesn't matter if I only have time for one boss, I can do it in the morning before I go to work if I'm up early and just go back and redo it later on, no skin off the raid's nose except clicking a button to find another player. I can't do that with Flex or Normal without letting down the group who I committed myself to and that's why I've never been regularly raiding and interested in PvE character progression until LFR's implementation.

There is a big divide in player philosophy, no use denying it. Many many posts here and on other MMO sites have posts discussing how bad or good LFR is. It is a prickly subject to many but many want to talk about it. it is a hot topic so to speak.

We need a new server option for players and it would bring back my business and I suspect many others. This option would be like the current options, you can join a PVP server, a PVE server and a role playing server. Why not a new option?

This option would change two things only which would enhance the game for many. Let's call this new server choice "enhanced".

On this enhanced server, this is what would change:

1) No LFR, that is gone. Flex could remain and would garner same gear levels as the old LFR.

2) Re-tune 5 man heroic dungeons to be harder as in Cata opening day difficulty.

Two changes. Open a server with this option, This gives the consumer who has been clamoring for this that option. There is already an option for servers. Just add that one server. I suspect people will flock to it and Blizzard would need more than one server dedicated for it.

I would definitely re-subscribe in a heart beat. This would be a great option for people. This would not separate the community, it is an option many would love to have.

I do not see a reason to oppose it, it is a a win-win scenario. If you want LFR, that would be great, have it. If you definitely want it gone, great, that server option would be for me and you. It totally takes away the sandpaper from both groups.
    So, challenge modes and not doing LFR, why do you need a special server for things that you can do on your normal server?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    And i heard blizzard already pays 500.000 dollar daily to keep the servers up, which also means that goes up if they get more servers.
    I'm going to guess that number is $500, which would be $182,500 a year. If you're speaking of just electricity/renting the warehouse, this sounds about right for 4 datacenters across the US ~45,000 a year for each datacenter. If you're saying 500,000 a day to keep the servers up and running, you're stating 182M a year. They have approximately 14 datacenters across US/EU. Unless this number includes rentals of all buildings, electricity, hardware, software licenses, staff (well paid ones at that), and let's throw in Asia and Blizzard's side of that including the amount they pay the Company out there to run WoW, this is still very high (by about 160%). With the newer technology and what looks like virtualization of their servers, this cost is only going to reduce as well. I do believe they list this under costs to the Company so we may actually be able to see this in their Profit Report (not sure what info is shared there).

Deleted
    Actually, I support this, as long as no one who transfers to one can ever transfer back. lol

Quote Originally Posted by cyqu View Post
    I want hard 5mans because I enjoy them more then running forward only casting spinning crane kick from boss to boss, and I can't alway have 10 players on to raid, if 5man were more of a challenge it would be a fun way to spend my time, and it also is a great teaching tool for crap players. inb4 qq about forced difficulty by forcing this difficulty it will increase the skill of the player base up even if by a very small margin making everyone's game play better.
    Do Challenge Mode then. You currently have hard 5 mans.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Why would any company go out of their way to create a special server for a few neurotics out there.
    But enough about RP servers.

On a more serious note, it always humors me how amazingly against people are against servers that wouldn't interest them. You think enhanced, or even vanilla / bc etc servers would be anything other than a sub gain?

There is a big divide in player philosophy, no use denying it. Many many posts here and on other MMO sites have posts discussing how bad or good LFR is. It is a prickly subject to many but many want to talk about it. it is a hot topic so to speak.

We need a new server option for players and it would bring back my business and I suspect many others. This option would be like the current options, you can join a PVP server, a PVE server and a role playing server. Why not a new option?

This option would change two things only which would enhance the game for many. Let's call this new server choice "enhanced".

On this enhanced server, this is what would change:

1) No LFR, that is gone. Flex could remain and would garner same gear levels as the old LFR.

2) Re-tune 5 man heroic dungeons to be harder as in Cata opening day difficulty.

Two changes. Open a server with this option, This gives the consumer who has been clamoring for this that option. There is already an option for servers. Just add that one server. I suspect people will flock to it and Blizzard would need more than one server dedicated for it.

I would definitely re-subscribe in a heart beat. This would be a great option for people. This would not separate the community, it is an option many would love to have.

I do not see a reason to oppose it, it is a a win-win scenario. If you want LFR, that would be great, have it. If you definitely want it gone, great, that server option would be for me and you. It totally takes away the sandpaper from both groups.
    Please post your armory so I can see your challenge mode stats.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Here is what you might consider an unexpected truth: The only place where I commonly see elitist assholes is here. I rarely encounter them in the game. The game as portrayed on forums is not the game that most people actually experience.
    Yes. Most people aren't elitist assholes, its a name that gets thrown around a lot here. In game not an issue, now douchebags in game? That is an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    You'd end up with about 50 people on the whole server.

Don't mistake the vocal fools on this site as actually knowing what the WoW playerbase wants.
    You think so? I say differently, in fact, they would need to open more than one I bet.