Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Occassional Hallucinations

So I have the occasional experience with hallucinations when sleeping. I usually wake up after a bit, and see small things that look like some bug in my room.

It's getting to feel more real each time a hallucination comes up after the last one. At first, I didn't really know I was awake and it was kind of like half-half between being conscious and unconscious. But the last one, which was yesterday, I clearly reaffirmed with myself that I was awake. Right after waking up, I could see it crawling on my ceiling, so I pinched myself and it did hurt, and it was still there. I got up and went to the light, looked before I flipped the switch, still there.

Only after I had flipped the switch did the shadow/hallucination finally go away. I don't take any substances. Just went back to sleep though.

What's up with that?

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be speaking to a doctor about this.

I might just add one thing. Even though I really worry about people getting medical advice for the internet.

Do you drink enough water? I've found that when I've been on a bit of a bender I can hallucinate (I'm thinking due to dehydration).
    Last edited by Feral Camel; 2013-10-27 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Camel View Post
    I'd be speaking to a doctor about this.
    I agree with this. From what I understand hallucinations can occur just after waking (happens commonly in cases of sleep paralysis), however I am not a doctor.

You have nothing to worry about, it's probably just real bugs crawling around your room while you sleep.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

The same thing has happened to me a few times over the years, I'd wake up and see what looks to be some big spider crawling up my wall no matter how many times I blinked or rubbed my eyes. It'd eventually just stop after a minute or two. It hasn't happened to me in a while though, and it wouldn't be because I was on any substances either.

Hallucinations of all kinds (auditory, visual etc.) aren't too uncommon in the borderline state between wakefulness and sleep.

Also, are you absolutely certain you were awake? Because dreaming that you've woken up, or a "false awakening," is a very common phenomenon. And pinching yourself isn't actually a reliable test at all - a dream can simulate pain if you're expecting to feel it, just as well as it can perfectly simulate the room you're expecting to see when you wake up. If you want a more reliable test, try one or more of the following "reality checks":

• Look at a clock or something with numbers or text on it, look away from it, and look back - such details will almost always change in dreams
    • Try to push the fingers of one hand through the palm of your other - in a dream, it may well work
    • Pinch your nose shut and try breathing through it - it's an odd feeling, but in a dream you may well still be able to

Dreams are funny old things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is what happens when I'm drunk. Usually wake up on the floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by bandcamp16 View Post
    OT: I think it's disgusting as hell to spit so ofc I always swallow. Spitters are quitters, after all.

I've had this, even after 24+ plus hours after tipping off ketamine. I just acknowledge it as a signal as a hint from The Great Black Demon, it's a signal that he's been there. That he knows, that he's with you. Don't worry, The Black Demon can sometimes be helpful, he knows that your emotions desires.

This sounds like nonsense but it's real, trust me. I've seen it. The Black Demon is real (sometimes seen as a completely pitch black baby looking figure with red glowing eyes) and it's presence it unknown by most.

It could possibly be a kind of sleep paralysis. People who experience it often have crazy visual and auditory halluscinations.

Asking for medical advice is against forum rules, go to a doctor /thread.

About 5-15% of the general population experience hallucinations throughout their lives - this can be completely normal. In addition, what you describe may be part of hypnopompic and/or hypagogic phenomena, which the former describes a shifting of consciousness from a wake to sleeping state, and the latter the opposite. During these periods of transition one may experience a variety of things, among them muscular jerks and hallucinations.

If you are hearing voices, especially two or more voices speaking to one another, or alternatively when the voices speak directly to you - I would suggest seeing a doctor. Otherwise, observe and see if these phenomena persist.

Maybe you live in a haunted house

But yea I would probably go to a doctor/sleep labs, they can check that out.

Umm, it could actually just be real bugs in your room. Cockroaches tend to hide when a light goes on and they move really fucking fast.

that reminds me i should look up some creepy pastas this thursday

Deleted
    I suffer from auditory hallucinations, when in a waking state I often here people calling my name, knocking my door or saying things that involve me, they are rarely true.

The latest incident was a few days ago when I heard my 7 year old niece shouting through my bedroom door that she wanted to play with my rats, I got dressed and went downstairs to get her, it turned out she had not visited the house that day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have type one diabetes. When I was younger and had a low blood sugar I'd often hallucinate and see horrific things. I still sometimes do.

You should really see a doctor if they continue. People don't hallucinate without reason most of the time.

It is a common thing for some ppl to have these kinds of awake dreams, I have a friend that has had odd things like this for years, the brain after just waking can take some time to realise what is not real and what is , the only time you should be worried about this imo (im not a doctor) is if they occur during a normal day not right after waking up, like if you are just going about your normal day doing some shopping and you start seeing things that arent there then it could be a break down.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I suffer from auditory hallucinations, when in a waking state I often here people calling my name, knocking my door or saying things that involve me, they are rarely true.

The latest incident was a few days ago when I heard my 7 year old niece shouting through my bedroom door that she wanted to play with my rats, I got dressed and went downstairs to get her, it turned out she had not visited the house that day.
    Thats a bit creepy... Do you have a diagnosis for this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Thats a bit creepy... Do you have a diagnosis for this?
    Yeah, its called waking up drowsy. Not a problem though apart from me shouting to people to come in, my partner thinks its funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was you able to move during the hallucinations? If not, could possibly be sleep paralysis; if you could move, I have no idea to be honest
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!