Thread: Job at Subway.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Job at Subway.

Hello!

I am thinking of applying for a job at Subway because they are hiring. I only have one question about it and hopefully some people know or some people have worked at a Subway before.

How do you know what to charge the customer at the end of making his sub, do you have to memorize it? And what if there is a massive line, how do you know what that sub is and what was put on it in order to charge them correctly? Seems difficult or maybe I am over thinking it.

Deleted
    there is a guy with down syndrome in subway near me.. if he can do it i am sure u can

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure they'll start you out with cleaning, cutting up food, and making subs first; then teach you how to use the til. I work in a supermarket, and have been trained on checkouts; they don't just stick you on there by yourself, they have someone teaching you and helping you serve until you can actually do it by yourself. I'm sure its the same for any other place.

And from what I've heard them say when I was at the til waiting to pay, they usually stamp the paper that the sub is on to indicate something, and the person who goes along making the sub, and then wraps it up usually tells the til person what the sub is (6 or 12 inch, normal or double meat, extras or no extras, salad or no salad, sauce or no sauce). I think the Salt and Pepper is free. I've usually heard them say "6 inch, double classic chicken" and go from there, so don't take my word for it.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

you are over thinking it. if i go in and buy a BMT. a BMT is always the same price. and when you punch it in on the computer its going to be that price (most likely a button that says either BMT then you choose 12" or 6" or seperate buttons for each) the only additional things would be like extra meat, but im sure all that stuff has buttons in its POS system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    you are over thinking it. if i go in and buy a BMT. a BMT is always the same price. and when you punch it in on the computer its going to be that price (most likely a button that says either BMT then you choose 12" or 6" or seperate buttons for each) the only additional things would be like extra meat, but im sure all that stuff has buttons in its POS system.
    Would I have to mesmerize these to put into the system or would someone tell me?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quirin View Post
    Would I have to mesmerize these to put into the system or would someone tell me?
    The cash registers just have buttons for each of the items on the menu. So if you get handed a 12" Chicken Melt, there's a button for that, that automatically puts the price in. There's also buttons for the double meat, double cheese, meals, etc. All of it is handled by the register. You don't have to do any math, other than figuring out change. Idk how currency is in NZ, but in the US you'd have to figure out the dollar amount, plus however many quarters, nickels, dimes, and pennies you'd have to give them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vouksh89 View Post
    . You don't have to do any math, other than figuring out change. Idk how currency is in NZ, but in the US you'd have to figure out the dollar amount, plus however many quarters, nickels, dimes, and pennies you'd have to give them.
    Pretty sure the till even tells you the change ... atleast it does here in Denmark.

OP: stop overthinking the Job, if you can get up in the morning and show up sober im sure they will teach you the rest.

Good luck with the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cash registers just have buttons for each of the items on the menu. So if you get handed a 12" Chicken Melt, there's a button for that, that automatically puts the price in. There's also buttons for the double meat, double cheese, meals, etc. All of it is handled by the register. You don't have to do any math, other than figuring out change. Idk how currency is in NZ, but in the US you'd have to figure out the dollar amount, plus however many quarters, nickels, dimes, and pennies you'd have to give them.
    I see =) but how do I know what type of sub it is, that is being handed to me, I have to remember it I assume?

10+ Year Old Account
    Either the person that's handing it to you, or the customer. General rule here is, if you don't know, look at the customer and hesitate for a second, and they'll generally tell you what they ordered. You're really over-thinking it.

The only hard part about service jobs like that, is dealing with the occasional irate customer. And if you can shrug off the idiocy of people, then you're good. Remember, you're a person, they're a person. Don't be stupid, and try not to assume they're stupid. And don't take anything anyone says personally. They're assholes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, thanks for the help =). Only job I've had is on a farm and cows don't talk haha.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    Pretty sure the till even tells you the change ... atleast it does here in Denmark.

OP: stop overthinking the Job, if you can get up in the morning and show up sober im sure they will teach you the rest.

Good luck with the job.
    This, good luck man.

15+ Year Old Account
    Either the person that's handing it to you, or the customer. General rule here is, if you don't know, look at the customer and hesitate for a second, and they'll generally tell you what they ordered. You're really over-thinking it.

The only hard part about service jobs like that, is dealing with the occasional irate customer. And if you can shrug off the idiocy of people, then you're good. Remember, you're a person, they're a person. Don't be stupid, and try not to assume they're stupid. And don't take anything anyone says personally. They're assholes.
    Why should you hesitate, just ask them

Quote Originally Posted by Quirin View Post
    Alright, thanks for the help =). Only job I've had is on a farm and cows don't talk haha.
    well i dont know how people in NZ are but yes, here in the US you will run into assholes daily. best to just take a deep breath and get them the hell out as fast as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here they charge you a tax if you have them toast the bread, do they do this in other countries?

10+ Year Old Account
    at the subway i live near usually 2 people up front, one does meat/cheese/toasting(if person wants it toasted)
    other person does toppings and checkout.
    i'm sure after a while you notice what meats are on there(so know which button to press on register)
    as well how much cheese, (one layer or thinly sliced godliness or two) and meat. so you get an idea if you need to press the button for extra cheese or not
    after a bit i'm sure that becomes second nature/easy, also if it isn't to loud i'm sure you could hear what ppl are getting on it.

but yeah starting i don't think they'd put you on the till instantly, some minor training, cleaning/prepping(tomato's don't slice themselves) maybe cookie baking/bread baking(it's all on timers w/preset temps anyway)

and if you can prove you have enough competence not to let stuff burn, and ability to keep stuff clean(as well as personal hygiene) then i think they'd put you on the front line(as soon as another stooge gets hired to do the dirty work*joking*)

*edit* i've noticed sometimes they actually have 1 person per customer, from pulling bread out putting stuff on to paying, while the other employee(depends on how late at night i've seen only 1 person up front at 4am) so that would make it easier as well,
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

i dont know sometimes depending on staffing you get thrown on the front lines right away. i got a sandwhich once and the guys making it asked me what was supposed to go on it...

I used to work at Subway. And though I haven't worked there in over 10 years, I can still wrap a sub like a pro. It's instilled in you like a cult to wrap that damn thing the right way from the first day. You will never forget it.

Deleted
    Craving a BMT right now...

I love Welcome to Night Vale...

10+ Year Old Account
    Foot long spicy italian on italian herbs and cheese. Provolone, lettuce, tomato, olive, green pepper, red onion, salt, pepper, italian dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.