Thread: Why bash Cata?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I loved Cata specifically because of the Old World rebuild. Confessions of an altaholic...

I didn't raid in Cata and I have no idea why DS was hated so much. /shrug

Deleted
    Cata release was great in my opinion and the revamp of 1-60 was also great. I enjoyed the leveling, first tier of raiding and the dungeons. I also really enjoyed ZA/ZG. However Firelands was too small a raid and Dragon Soul was small and very bad, due to the last two fights being so boring, yet they were the fights that I spent by far the most time on in heroic.

People say it is so bad due to Dragon Soul, which is how they remember it. I guess also the people that pugged dungeons a lot at release and didn't raid would have found it bad as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    It was blatantly obvious that Blizz was cutting corners for almost all of the x-pac and trying to pass off rehash as new content.
    Then they introduced MoP, brand new content and people complained because its brand new...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragore View Post
    Then they introduced MoP, brand new content and people complained because its brand new...
    Some people complained because other people got what they've been asking for for 7 years.

Not sure where you are going with this because I never said anything negative about MoP....

And I am pretty sure if you asked people would they rather have new content for a major content patch compared to "hey lets just tune ZA to 85 and call it new" they would pick the former. ZG they at least changed the bosses (completely ruining the Hakkar fight), kept everything else the same, but threw in some new bosses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Some people complained because other people got what they've been asking for for 7 years.
    I love this answer because I read the forums all the time (well, I used to during Cata and previous x-pacs) and I dont recall those tons of threads where large groups of people were asking for a simply rehashed instance instead of one where they actually...you know...have to put some work into it.

Deleted
    why people may dislike cataclysm:
    - The nerfs made to the first tier of Cataclysm raiding, and its dungeons, due to the crying player base wanting a faceroll experience, ruining dungeons then onward for Mists of Pandaria.
    - Queuecraft, there was no reason to go back to any of the old zones, except Hyjal to do the firelands dailies. Simply stand in the city and queue.
    - Not sure about other realms, but the ones I played on began to die out, causing a large chunk of guilds to die.
    - Green jesus
    - In dragon soul, the extra mechanics on heroic mode were a joke.
    - Dragon soul consisted of recycled models and environments.
    - Underwhelming raid tiers, low amount of bosses.
    - The final boss is gimmicky and is arguably the easiest boss after Morchok (heroic)
    - Dragon soul boss #7 involved you fighting tentacles on deathwings back. Green jesus fires magic beam through Deathwing, despite armour on the belly not being removed. Is removing the armour on the back really needed to cut through Deathwings skin?
    - Dragon soul boss #8 involved you cutting away at Deathwings nails. Green jesus fires magic beam. Nothing more epic than swiping away at Deathwings fingernails whilst green jesus strikes down the main bad guy, before playing a fantastic cutscene about how the dragon aspect's "great purpose" was to kill one of their own who eventually goes insane.
    - Tol Barad
    - Firelands being a mass of red land.
    - ZA & ZG

If you think Cataclysm was the best expansion after BC, I'm not sure how to react The release was great, but then the crying hormonal "it's too hard!" players kicked in, causing Blizzard to go on a roller coaster ride of bad content for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the Forums do it.

The internet is a massive Sheep.

Deathwing had little presence other than showing up once in a while to one shot your alt while leveling. His demise was pretty boring. I mean, he's likely the most powerful dude we've been up against, but we ended up fighting his tentacle hands.

The old world revamp was cool, but it did take a lot away from other stuff. And let's not forget it had to follow WotLK, a fantastic expansion.

Also: talent revamp, class homogenization. Those are the biggest issues for me.

Because they introduced farming like chinese gameplay.

There were no mid rewards, no curve of progression to casual "softcore" player.

BY THE WAY, I LOST THE CHANGE FROM WARCRAFT TO RAIDCRAFT.

So CATA was the worst pvp experience, Warriors were free kill, ferals were autoplay, content was sad, justice points were pointless. MAGES WERE SEMIGODS.

This game don't have H Shattered Halls anymore, so you can play some cool 5 man with your bro's and get some decent gear, it's all about RAID.

They prefer to nerf a RAID to the ground then make some real H 5 man.

Blizz is obsessed by gear rewards with linear progression, well FUN is no LINEAR!

Just my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cata was downright BAD. The 'buildup' with Deathwing only to have it end with the dreadful Dragon Soulolololo.

Straight up worst expansion ever, even worse than the MoP theme.

Haters going to hate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    Because they left that shit to rot. Dragon Soul was trash.
    That the devs did. The expansion had potential despite the over spending of resources on 1-60 revamp the expansion could have gotten better. Instead Blizzard said fuck it and focused on MoP with a bigger team while letting Cata turn to shit. It is sad that despite subs being lower than Classic ended with that the development team has gotten two big growths an expansion after WotLK which held the most subs.
    How do you think Cata would have been received by the player base if it received the same level of attention and resources that MoP had? The complaints of brand new with MoP has to do with the story and not other aspects of content. There are those who also didnt like the story for Cata or at least how DW was handled.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2013-11-18 at 09:38 PM.

Why bash cata?

Because it deserves it.

Incremental 5 level expansion (at least they did the right thing by allowing multiple starter zones)
    Tol Barad was a big letdown after WG
    Chaos Orbs were a disaster (really, STOP with the bop mats. stop)
    Heavy use of rehash
    Unconnected, scattered zones.
    Vash felt unfinished
    Uldum was a huge letdown if one was expecting a grand followup to the Uldaman discs
    Twilight Highlands just seemed to be an afterthought
    Rehashed troll content being the only ones worth doing for months became beyond tiring
    Poorly built up main villian, overall story arc.
    D. Soul just wasn't the epic raid it was promised to be.

It wasn't a total disaster...starter heroics were actually quite good aside from the revamps, and I thought firelands was pretty fun for the most part.... but every other expansion has been significantly better for a variety of reasons.

Deleted
    Personally the best thing about Cataclysm was lvl 1-60

Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    I love this answer because I read the forums all the time (well, I used to during Cata and previous x-pacs) and I dont recall those tons of threads where large groups of people were asking for a simply rehashed instance instead of one where they actually...you know...have to put some work into it.
    Uh... what? Did you notice I had quoted someone?

They spent so much work revamping all the zones that end game content suffered. It is something they've flat out admitted and they were right. Because of flying mounts, you were able to hit max level easily within a week and afterward? There was literally nothing to do. Grind the dungeons. If you didn't raid, you were stuck sitting there bored out of your skull. Any content that was released was few and far between and when it was released, it was some rehashed junk.

The raiding was well done until the final raid, but as we all know, it was injected with the same thing as the rest of the expansion. Rehashed stuff with a very disappointing final boss.

A lot of potential, a lot of hype and it fell flat. Funny how that works because Mists didn't have much hype at all, it was bashed a lot for the kiddie style it came across as, and yet, it is one of the best expansions ever released. IMO, anyways.

The did amazings concepts art, but they didnt used it.

"Dinosaurs and dodos in Lost isles? nah, better outland raptors" "Volcanoth, amazing, new model with new animations and a badass aspect. Nah better remodeled turtle, with a minivolcano in the nose", "Sea Hags!!, Nah, Naga Sea Witch", Faceless remodeled with horrible texture (caster faceless), etc, etc.

AND the worst of all the things: Dragon Soul. The trailers is shit (blizzard delete it from youtube), no new models (only madness of Deathwing), 70% of the raid is in Dragonblight (so boring, anything new, eye of eternity? boring again), Ghost Bosses (blackhorn? vrykuls? hagara? who the fuck?!!), ultra nerfed and more. Worst final boss patch ever, with this crap, blizzard destroyed Cataclysm.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dragon. Soul. Worst raid of this entire game.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Cata was downright BAD. The 'buildup' with Deathwing only to have it end with the dreadful Dragon Soulolololo.

Straight up worst expansion ever, even worse than the MoP theme.
    All they had to do was have some bullshit crazy stupid epic fight vs DW and have half the raid defend off hordes of income dragonspawn and old god demons and barely survive until Thrall charged that shit, he would fuck up, we would pick it up and blast the shit out of Deathwing in his human form. He falls to his knees, defeated, then looks up with a mad glint in his eye, goes bitch do you know who I am, turns into Deathwing super dragon form, Dragon Aspects summon remaining dragonflight, wars jump on red dragons, mages jump on blue, heals jump on green, ranged dps jump on bronze, and they are the platforms we fuckin fight his ass all the way to the Maelstrom where the incredible energies go HAM, Dragon Aspects get crushed and give us their power and we jump on his bitchass chest stab him through the fucking planet GfuckingG. THen he comes back up with tentacles and Thrall splits the power of that Bullshitstone in each of us and we laser beam his bitchass to oblivion.

Instead we got whatever that shit was in Dragon Soul. For 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Uh... what? Did you notice I had quoted someone?
    Who quoted me. Or if I misunderstood your post, my apologies.

10+ Year Old Account
    It started out well, but when 4.3 hit everything went downhill, dungenons became faceroll, DS was a horrible raid, it took 2hr with a pug to clear it, not to mention how boring and dull it was, getting gear was too easy, you got 378 gear from 5 mans, wich was the same as FL gear, wich meant that you could skip all content and go straight to endgame, wich meant that there was alot of good geared noobs that could do DS.