Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    For me personally, I just flat out never like the male models of any races in any RPG game, especially MMO's. I dislike bulkiness (AKA Buffed characters ect) and usually I never like the animations of male characters. When it comes down to aesthetics I just simply always prefer female models.

That and I seriously just prefer looking at a female over a male if I'm gunna be playing for long hours at a time(It's actually almost like an OCD for me, I played my friends character the other week to raid for him while he was on vacation, I literally couldn't wait to log off just because his character was a human male). That and I guess knowing my characters armor/casting animations ect ain't what I like just drives me nuts.
    Last edited by Burnick; 2013-12-07 at 02:01 PM.

I prefer the female models/animations of most races I play. What I don't understand is why people care. I don't identify with my toon. I don't view my toon as a reflection of myself. I had a friend who couldn't grasp that concept.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryva View Post
    Dodging much?
    Not really - I'm not the only 1 saying that reasoning is odd

People have different reasons to choose their characters races or genders in games. Just let it be. I dont associate my in-game characters with myself. Never ever (although I know that some people do and that is OK as well). I just want my characters to be as "cool" as possible. And quite frankly as a normal male I generally find female more "cool" than male. I have problems with finding good male role-models for me in life. But I certainly see or know a lot of great female around. That being said, I dont create virtual girls with purpose of jacking off to them (a stupid myth that circulates around here and there). Its simple. Girl is more "cool" from a dude. So for me a choice is obvious. Someone gets a different reason to create male/female characters. And they are fine as well. I dont even know why this subject is still debated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    The reason behind guys playing female characters is always 'I don't want to look at a guys bottom' but honestly I really don't understand the reasoning. I mean I am a gay guy and as such don't particularly enjoy ogling womens bottoms but that in no way transcends into virtual worlds and dictates my decision regarding character genders in video games. Saying 'I am uncomfortable looking at the pixelated bottom of a member of the same sex' just seems like sexual insecurity. Also why are you looking at your characters bum anyway?
    People make a bigger deal out of this issue than need be. Sexual insecurity though? I can see how you might think and come to that conclusion, and maybe there are a few young boys out there that play a female character to further reinforce their sexuality but for the most part I think its as simple as preferring to want to see the body of the sex you are attracted to all the time rather than the body of the sex you aren't attracted to... has nothing to do with actually looking at body parts of the opposite sex like tits/ass.

And even at that there are other reasons for creating female characters as a male that have nothing to do with sexuality at all. For example when I myself played WoW all my casters were female, because the casting animations from female models in my opinion were better than males (except for undead).

For example if someone told me all the rest of my college teachers could be women and they would offer the same info and teach the same ways as their male counterparts and I had a chance to let this happen, I wouldn't say no. Having a hot college professor is a pretty nice thing, and if I'm getting the same education as I would otherwise why would I say no?

EDIT: Furthermore, in the case of WoW (which I don't play anymore), people automatically assume the character you create is supposed to be a reflection of yourself... which couldn't be further from the truth, as many people create characters that don't resemble themselves or even resemble what they would want to be like. So this is a non-issue in the argument at hand.
    Last edited by Xl House lX; 2013-12-07 at 02:07 PM.
    Call me House.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just a cop-out response. Players use it because playing the opposite sex makes them feel insecure so they try to validate it by whichever means.

Nobody pays $15 a month to stare at a pixelated ass.

Deleted
    But this issue only occurs seemingly in MMORPGs... Nobody seemingly cares about bottoms when they're playing 3rd person games

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryva View Post
    I choose the gender of my chars by their animations mostly. So no, the reason is not always "I don't want to look at a guys bottom".

Maybe you are the one who is insecure and therefor are sensible to this subject? Maybe you are secretly hetero?
    That has nothing to do with what he said. You're saying that he's labeling everyone who plays the opposite sex as such, he's not. He's asking why people use the line is all.

At least, that's how I read it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Yes, all guys who play a female character do that because they don't want to look at a guy's ass!

Did it ever occur to you that some people just want to play the game and they think that the female gender fits the character better?
    Almost every single character I have is male, so now I want to make a female. That can also be a reason.

People create female characters for other reasons than "MALE ASS!".
    Did I say otherwise

Deleted
    i've never heard of anyone only playing female characters because they don't want to stare at a male butt all day. this thread is weird man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did I say otherwise
    I think people are taking your use of "always" too literally.

The reason behind guys playing female characters is always 'I don't want to look at a guys bottom'

But this issue only occurs seemingly in MMORPGs... Nobody seemingly cares about bottoms when they're playing 3rd person games
    MMORPG and 3rd person games aren't mutually exclusive.

I dunno, Ghostcrawler seems like a pretty laid back, sarcastic guy. I don't read far into the stuff he says, mostly just laugh at it.

My favorite is:
    Poster: I'm just waiting for the rage posts, "this happened because ghostcrawler left!"
    GC: Those tweets will come from me though, perhaps lessening the effect.

I read somewhere a long time ago (that source! ) that guys who play female characters in rpg type games are lonely, no idea how accurate that is but it something to wonder about.

Easier to just understand that different people have different tastes.

I play Alliance and female characters exclusively, only because every single one of them look better, and have better attack/casting animations than their male counterparts...
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    I read somewhere a long time ago (that source! ) that guys who play female characters in rpg type games are lonely, no idea how accurate that is but it something to wonder about.
    Some are but some are not. I know few married guys who still play mostly female characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I roll female characters, because boobs ...

There, I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Yes, all guys who play a female character do that because they don't want to look at a guy's ass!

Did it ever occur to you that some people just want to play the game and they think that the female gender fits the character better?
    Almost every single character I have is male, so now I want to make a female. That can also be a reason.

People create female characters for other reasons than "MALE ASS!".
    I think it probably came up because Ghostcrawler tweeted that as the reason he usually plays female characters... I also think it's weird. You're weird, Greg Street.

seriously you guys, he clearly put it out jokingly, why are you making such a fuss about it?