Question Mage Spec Question

Hi all, I have a doubt about the talent specialization for the mage. Currently use specialization Frost with Itlvl of 563 and an average of Damage per second close to 240k's.
    And I wonder if another setting "Full Haste" and not know if I could get more out with another Spec and whether it is better Fire or Arcane for a configuration of 10 players.

With your ilvl you could easily be doing well with Fire or Arcane spec if you wanted. Fire and Arcane are doing much better in 10mans at the moment. Not really sure what your question was though.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am new to mages, having just finally leveled my mage to 90. First time he's been at max since ICC. I am currently specced frost with 466 item level (just dinged yesterday). I've always like the fire play-style and would prefer to play that, but I am a hardcore raider so its hard for me to play one spec that's not optimal.

What point do the specs even out, pass one another, etc? Is there an item level, stat % or something when I could make a switch from Frost to Arcane or Fire?
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    I am new to mages, having just finally leveled my mage to 90. First time he's been at max since ICC. I am currently specced frost with 466 item level (just dinged yesterday). I've always like the fire play-style and would prefer to play that, but I am a hardcore raider so its hard for me to play one spec that's not optimal.

What point do the specs even out, pass one another, etc? Is there an item level, stat % or something when I could make a switch from Frost to Arcane or Fire?
    Fire you are going to want ~40% self buffed crit and 4P T16 if you want it to do better than the other specs, and that won't happen until at least 550 ilevel most likely.

Arcane won't be better until probably ~540 ish ilevel, and that is if it played well. I am a bit more fuzziesh with requirements, but I would try and reach the 9762 Haste Breakpoint while having 50% or higher mastery rating with Frost Armour, or at least be able to reach it. Or Voltaa/other arcane pros can correct me.

I'd first state, play the spec you enjoy the most, you'll get more DPS out of a spec you enjoy and play well than a spec you don't enjoy or don't play well.

As to Frost, if you have someone bringing Spell Haste (Boomkin, Shadow Priest...) shoot for 14242 haste rating raid buffed (AskMrRobot allows you to set that number) and put the rest into mastery. At your levels, you should have 50% haste and somewhere close to 70% mastery (depending on gear).

If you have gear for Frost, it would probably transition well to Arcane. Fire however is a different gearing, it is crit heavy with most people suggesting 45% crit before it plays well.

Edit - bad sentence structure!