Thread: Do you shield?

Do you shield?

I'm playing disc in a 25man raid.
    But I don't find myself using PW:S very much, other than on gem procs for free heals.

How much do you use PW:S during raids?
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Useful on Thok, Dark Shamans, saving a low health player, and any situation that requires movement. On 25m I'd even guess PWS spam is better than PoH healing spam when the raid isn't tightly stacked.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm Shadow and I use it all the time.

Deleted
    Generally I try to rely on healers. If it isn't a DPS loss, or a minor one, I'm more inclined to. Also depends if I use body and soul or feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Generally I try to rely on healers. If it isn't a DPS loss, or a minor one, I'm more inclined to. Also depends if I use body and soul or feathers.
    He's not dps he's disc

Anyway I do use it... it's pretty much always on the tanks. It's a tool we have and I choose to use it. I definitely like it with body & soul.

I certainly hope the shadow priest who uses it doesn't use it if there's a disc priest in the raid. Rage.

I haven't done anything more then LFR this Xpac but as Disc I use PW:S on the tanks and anyone else that is constantly tanking damage, like when they stand in the wrong place and my Life Grip in on CD. I have two level 90 priest...One is Disc/Shadow and the other is Holy /Shadow . So, I understand the frustration when another non disc priest uses PW:S on my target. That is why I usually refrain from using it as Holy especially if there's Disc in the raid. As shadow it's all about me UNLESS my sheild could save the tank or a healer, DPS is up to them to not be stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fefina View Post
    He's not dps he's disc
    I know, but his question wasn't specific to disc, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fefina View Post
    He's not dps he's disc
    Current PVE Disc feels closer to a DPS imo and I prefer it that way. Hopefully we may see an even more dps-like disc in WoD.

not much as holy but as disc (haven't played for a while) it gives borrowed time still?, that is what you want to have up for chaining PoH through spirit shell?. shield>poh>shield>poh etc etc. being holy though ill only use it on myself if i take damage or i need b&s.

Depends on encounter and co-healers really. If the tanks are fine just getting healed by atonement and my fellow healers then it's only used for free heals with rapture, to save a DPS or to BT a PoH. If a tank is under geared or isn't getting reliably healed then I'm going to talent into Divine Insight in order to be able to use it more, this happens way too often in pugs

Deleted
    Rapture (mostly tanks), ticking dots, movement, blanking the raid on constant aoe dmg (for example Thok), save people with low hp.
    I dont use it often enough on gem proc, need to remind myself to set a aura up for it...

Deleted
    It depends on the encounter. I track the LMG proc so during that I will either try and get out two or three shields or DS and some shields. Aside from that, it is typically my go to spell if I see someone take a sudden whack of damage. Adding that buffer generally allows myself or the other healer time to pull someone back up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    not much as holy but as disc (haven't played for a while) it gives borrowed time still?, that is what you want to have up for chaining PoH through spirit shell?. shield>poh>shield>poh etc etc. being holy though ill only use it on myself if i take damage or i need b&s.
    You're actually losing hps with a shield before each PoH, better to use shield, pop Spirit Shell then have the haste for the first PoH only, otherwise you're spending ~1second for only a 25% haste boost on the others.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally I save PW:S so that I have it available for lethal (such as iron prison) or sudden burst. In general I find it to be poor play to use it rotationally for things like rapture. It may produce less overall hps but it's the better way to heal most of the time.

I also don't get people who use Body and Soul, all it does is place limitations on you. The only reasonable explanations for using it imo is either that you're lazy or because you need to save a GCD and the sprint is always needed when the shield is anyway. Or that you just can't aim the feathers, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakobro View Post
    You're actually losing hps with a shield before each PoH, better to use shield, pop Spirit Shell then have the haste for the first PoH only, otherwise you're spending ~1second for only a 25% haste boost on the others.
    It's actually 15%, making it even less of a good idea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    It's actually 15%, making it even less of a good idea.
    Hehe yeah, used to be 25%, at least in wotlk, guess I still remembered it as that

Deleted
    It's still pretty viable to weave some PWS in with your PoH to stabilize people that are low and allow them to catch up in health.

And yeah, I use shields for all the purposes mentioned in previous posts :P

Generally you want to use it often to keep rapture up on CD. Meta procs + PW'S = free shields & free mana back from rapture.

We aren't spamming bubble shields like HLK anymore, but some fights like Thok where casting is limited you will find yourself PWS'ing more.
    Teegers - Disc/Holy Priest - Summit - 14/14H
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Teegers/simple
    http://www.twitch.tv/teegsx

You, at the least, should be entering Spirit Shell with BT active to provide a buffer in cast times while active when preparing the raid... and with enough haste (fairly low benchmark) you can get a 5th cast out.

And with 4pc, you can fill non POH casts with Mastery Buffed PWS's on viable targets.