Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    For so many people the answer is 'yes' and it's just stupid. I get that it's cool to have and use something rare but when people won't use something because it's common there's a problem.
    Why is it a problem?

Personally, I tend to get attracted to more rare things. It's because things lose beauty to me when I "get used to it", which happens rather fast when something is frequently used. It happens to mounts, it happens to babynames. It even happens to the colour on peoples walls. I've chosen a completely different colour than 90% of the people I know, because I am simply fed up with the colour I see everywhere else.

That said, my favourite mount isn't that rare(Swift Zulian Tiger), but I kinda like any mount at this point. People use so many different ones, that I don't get a chance to get fed up with it.
    Last edited by Duridi; 2014-01-29 at 08:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use the frost wyrm as my flyer and crimson death charger as my ground mount for all characters. They aren't particularly rare or common, and they are my favorite visually

While riding a mount just because it's rare isn't really my thing, some of the rarer mounts have very nice models/skins. If I ever won the Astral Cloud Serpent it would be my default mount, because it looks amazing. It being rare is just a bonus. I ride Clutch of Ji-Kun mostly now because it matches my warrior's xmog (challenge mode). Mounts like the Pureblood Firehawk or Mimiron's Head are very cool looking and I want them, but others like Invincible and Experiment 12-B look like utter crap.

For me I am not a mount collector although the last few months I have done more mount collecting than the last 7 years combined. However, the way the mount looks still trumps which ones I ride. Ashes of Al'ar is my favorite mount but haven't gotten it yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    i cant agree with the sell this model once then never again concept. thats the base argument for all the stuff that has been removed or made unavailable in game, RNG is cruel. i can agree with selling mounts only at special times, as long as the sales happen at the very least, yearly. gives people a chance to get the mount if they missed the first sale for some bad luck reason.
    I completely disagree with this if you're also applying it to mounts found in raids from achievements or bosses. There is a reason Invincible and Mimiron's head were 100% drops level-appropriate and are now 1%.

My guild did a Baron run back in Vanilla with a terrible pug rogue. The server first baron's mount dropped and the rogue won the roll. We let him have it, but we also recruited him to the guild just to have the horse. Eight years later he's our raid leader and I've stayed at his house.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Given how people would gush over the mere sight of that horribly garish pink/orange monstrosity back in BC, I would have to give a resounding "YES!" as my answer.

it's funny to me, because one of my favorite mounts is the celestial steed. However i don't use it much because of how many people have it.

Yep.

Its fun to show off. Even if I don't use it I also like to have it for bragging rights.

I'm obsessed with aesthetics, so rarity isn't really a factor for me. I want Rivendare's Deathcharger A:Because it is one of the best looking Skeletal Warhorses, and B:Because it can be used on both Factions.

I agree with the sense of rarity that few people use it, not that it is hard to obtain.
    ( ; , , ; )

It's nice to have rare things, but I don't choose which mount I use based on rarity, I choose it on what I like, if I like the look of it, couldn't care less if I like a mount that a million other people also like and use, I get enjoyment out of it.

I have a spectral Tiger and love it, not because of its rarity but because I love sabers (the nelf faction ones are also my fav) , but I also love my Talbuks, not that rare either, but I looove them so much cause they look so elegant.

Have over 200 mounts and the ones I tend to use most are ones that mean something to me, maybe a gift, or maybe a really long grind, or just because I love how it looks etc.

Even if it's 1% now, doesn't make it "rare" though. Alot of people have it, just use one of their 200 other mounts.

But yes there is something with it, the more rare the more "awesome". I remember the first store-mount Celestial Steed (people thought Algalon would drop it and it was *so* amazing, then everyone bought it from shop, and it was *shit mount* suddenly).
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Well, as someone who has Invincible, the Pureblood Firehawk and the Flametalon (and other stuff), yes, I have to say riding around on those feels alot better than riding around on the Celestial Steed or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    For so many people the answer is 'yes' and it's just stupid. I get that it's cool to have and use something rare but when people won't use something because it's common there's a problem.
    No this is called humanity. It's ingrained in who we are, and is very instinctual. Wanna know what I drive? I drive a 1987 Chevy Impala SS, looks a whole lot nicer than the cookie cutter cars out and about.

You wouldn't show up to work in anything less than a suit. I think you think it is "Stupid" simply because you dont have the privilege to obtain a mount.

If people didn't do things for "Status" we would all be living as monks in grey houses

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    Even if it's 1% now, doesn't make it "rare" though. Alot of people have it, just use one of their 200 other mounts.

But yes there is something with it, the more rare the more "awesome". I remember the first store-mount Celestial Steed (people thought Algalon would drop it and it was *so* amazing, then everyone bought it from shop, and it was *shit mount* suddenly).
    It's really kind of like, supply and demand.

If everyone in the world owned a ferrari. Ferrari's wouldnt be very cool. They would be average
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    It's really kind of like, supply and demand.

If everyone in the world owned a ferrari. Ferrari's wouldnt be very cool. They would be average
    Ofc, Mimiron's head and Invincible is starting to loose their glory now that account-wide mounts + BMAH came out, as you see them all the time.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

It's a bit of both I think. I doubt many people would ride around on a super ugly mount just cause it was super rare (though I may be wrong) - I know I wouldn't. But I do consider a very nice looking rare mount better than a very nice looking common mount. Both attributes have value and when you combine them (appearance AND rarity) it makes them that little bit better. That's just my view though.

I should also add that regardless how good something looks, it always gets boring and bland if you see it all the time. Common mounts that have good models - by the very fact they are common - won't look as good as rare mounts with good models, cause you'll be bored of seeing the same common model everywhere. Unless you're the type to look up rare mount models and stare at them all the time.

I never said it was a problem for people to want to use rarer mounts. I said it was a problem that people won't use, or look down upon mounts because they are common even though the models are nice. Store mounts and some rep mounts are examples of this.
    Well, people hate store mounts for obvious, albeit stupid reasons.

Rep mounts, I think its more that people make allowances for mounts like Rivendare's deathcharger being ugly because people recognize they are rare. Most can't understand why people would think a Talbuk for instance looks good. Most can't see past the low quality. Doesn't mean they're right, just that's what I think on average most think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroleonShadowflower View Post
    Anyway, what'd you all think?
    For some people it does. I really don't care about how rare or non-rare my mount is.

Yes.

Obviously the model matters a bunch too, but I am much more interested in rarity.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest