Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Will they get the Free to play right in Heroes of the Storm?

I want to start this by saying that this is merely a thread to get peoples opinions based on what they have seen in blizzards Hearthstone and how they handle the f2p model there. I occasionally play LoL and I played hearthstone while it was in closed beta. Hearthstone is free to play, but it is punishing for those who don't pay. Not so much in the fact that you can get everything just by playing, but in the face of how long it'd take you to get everything. Also with how long it takes you to unlock the most interesting (imo) game play feature, the arena. Given this model of their first f2p game, do you think they can manage a good f2p model for Heroes of the Storm? Yes I realize the alpha only came out, but I want peoples opinions on what they think on the matter. We already have one f2p game from blizzard, so we can get a feel for how they wish to operate as far as their f2p games are concerned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Video Games Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Moved to Video Games Discussion
    Thank you. Wasn't sure where to post it. Only knew its a blizzard game XD

Deleted
    If they follow LoL's f2p mode regarding champions, then that will be shitty, but it'll still be f2p regardless of how long people take to unlock heroes.

My only concern right now is how long it takes someone to unlock a hero. Hopefully, it wont be nearly as long as it is in LoL otherwise, that'll be really lame.

Deleted
    It's two completely different games you are trying to compare, not going to work..

Hearthstone is a card game, just like magic the gathering, those who have money get the better card and the better decks.
    The same is for Hearthstone and any other card game, that's how it is and always will be.

Heroes of the Storm is a MOBA game not anything near Hearthstone and thus you should compare it to HoN, Dota 2, LoL and Smite. There is no way to buy power in any of these games, and that is how it will mostly be.

All you can get is skins for heroes and mounts etc. while in hearthstone you get cards that impact the game. Blizzard also have different teams for different games thus their model for f2p / p2p may vary.

In LoL you have to unlock champion by playing but that does not mean that those who pay get the better champs, the game is supposed to be balances to that no champion is more powerful than anyone else, some are better against others while some arent
    Last edited by mmocc06943eaac; 2014-02-14 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    If they follow LoL's f2p mode regarding champions, then that will be shitty, but it'll still be f2p regardless of how long people take to unlock heroes.

My only concern right now is how long it takes someone to unlock a hero. Hopefully, it wont be nearly as long as it is in LoL otherwise, that'll be really lame.
    Yeah. Right now it does take a long time to unlock one. I managed one that cost quite a few points. It kinda sucks also since you need runes too but the same currency is used for champions if you dont use real money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    Heroes of the Storm is a MOBA game not anything near Hearthstone and thus you should compare it to HoN, Dota 2, LoL and Smite. There is no way to buy power in any of these games, and that is how it will always be.

All you can get is skins for heroes and mounts etc. while in hearthstone you get cards that impact the game. Blizzard also have different teams for different games thus their model for f2p / p2p may vary
    True, but I don't think it would be right to compare Heroes to the other moba games. More or less im trying to get peoples opinions on blizzards mind set and what they seem to think like with their f2p games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Valve have the best F2P model in Dota 2 - all heroes / champions / client free - optional cosmetic store where they make the money. I hope Blizzard take this path but I can see them charging for the game & then having a cash store on top.
    (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง ᴛʜɪs ɪs ᴏᴜʀ ᴛᴏwɴ sᴄʀᴜʙ (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง - (ง •̀_•́)ง ʏᴇᴀʜ ʙᴇᴀᴛ ɪᴛ! (ง •̀_•́)ง

Deleted
    They're not going to charge you for the game. It's completely f2p, as far as we are aware.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ujio View Post
    Valve have the best F2P model in Dota 2 - all heroes / champions / client free - optional cosmetic store where they make the money. I hope Blizzard take this path but I can see them charging for the game & then having a cash store on top.
    I'm sure they will follow closer to the LoL F2P Model, Heroes of the storm will be free to play but there will be a store to buy skins for the different heroes/mounts

Still too far away from release to tell if you have to buy the heroes (in-game currency you get from playing) or have em all unlocked and if you can get skins from playing or not

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    They're not going to charge you for the game. It's completely f2p, as far as we are aware.
    Awesome! In that case I hope they do follow the valve model and not LoL's
    (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง ᴛʜɪs ɪs ᴏᴜʀ ᴛᴏwɴ sᴄʀᴜʙ (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง - (ง •̀_•́)ง ʏᴇᴀʜ ʙᴇᴀᴛ ɪᴛ! (ง •̀_•́)ง

I hope they have some kind of Collectors Edition for this game, it'd be awesome.
    i5 3570k
    WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
    16GB DDR3 1600 Ram
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD

I really dunno why I got this strange error when I want to log in

http://imageshack.com/a/img62/8199/7ao8.jpg
    Last edited by Stiven; 2014-02-14 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiven View Post

I just get that battle.net is down message.
    i5 3570k
    WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
    16GB DDR3 1600 Ram
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ujio View Post
    Awesome! In that case I hope they do follow the valve model and not LoL's
    They will most likely go with a mix of the 2 models

They'll use the LoL model given its success. DotA model can be very overwhelming for new players and everything about their presentations was about going for the casual market.

Deleted
    Hopefully it will be F2P with buyable skins/visuals and perks, and not items that impact the outcome of the matches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loribo View Post
    Hopefully it will be F2P with buyable skins/visuals and perks, and not items that impact the outcome of the matches.
    Like League of Legends, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Like League of Legends, right?
    You can buy heroes in LoL. 3800 posts and no clue about gaming wow

Deleted
    I bet that it will be like LoL, every week or so a free rotation of heroes , you can get them for money or ingame currency, skins will be awarded by playing owned heroes and new skins will be buyable with real money.

I hope they speak a little about their plans in the next Q&A...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiven View Post

That could most likely just be an error since you are not supposed to have the game yet ;p Just wait untill they release the beta.