Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    very interesting read, i use wireshark at work, just out of boredom sometimes to have a look at what my colleagues are doing while "working"

i never use public wifi or something like that because of these very reasons, but i was a bit confused about the part in the clip when his smartphone just downloaded something out of nowhere
    If he was using cellular, one *possible* method is that maybe the local Content Distribution Network's address was having its address spoofed by hackers to redirect people connecting to sites that download stuff. That could be pretty difficult I imagine, but who knows what IT infrastructure is like in Russia. Maybe it's less sophisticated and just having a local data network router IP being spoofed and it appropriatly redirecting. If I was a malicious type of person, I'd do that at Sochi for sure.

If he was using wifi, it's even easier, as I showed you.

More notable is that the two laptops he brought had been intruded and sysematically harvested within a day, just by connecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Ah, so it's a conspiracy against Russia? Yeah I've heard that one before, from russians, who probably heard it through their propaganda machine.
    This "report" just reeks of fearmongering. The same kind of "reports" were all the rage back in 2012 during the Euro Cup in Ukraine and Poland, when people were warned that packs of neo-nazies would lynch any foreigner who is a bit tanned.

When western media stops publishing such over the top bullshit reports people might stop calling them mud slinging, but for now that is what that is.

Its just FSB not wanting NSA to get all the attention

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Another Windows 7 moron with no clue.
    Another Mac moron with no Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Why would someone create malware for a mac? Is there a black market for photo albums of cats and half written novels?

Post of the year right there, hot dang.

On topic, I'm a little scared how these Olympics are going to go down. I mean EVERY Olympics, summer and winter, is always overbudget and generally speaking, even though they're always behind schedule, they still actually get everything in order for the games themselves.

But this time, the games are way, WAY overbudget, more than anything else ever before (40 BILLION dollars over budget... and it was a 10 billion dollar budget), and worse, the facilities still aren't finished, and the games are basically getting underway right now. Shaun White and other snowboards have pulled out because the slopestyle track is too dangerous and not properly finished, the hotels aren't even remotely close to being completed, drinking water - simple, basic drinking water! - is at a premium and mostly unavailable, and security threats abound everywhere.

While I really hope that the games simply end up as being laughable, I'm scared it's going to become an actual tragedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    More notable is that the two laptops he brought had been intruded and sysematically harvested within a day, just by connecting.
    or it's downloaded as an actual update by the content providers, i mean... every company has to follow the governments decisions in that country.
    but heh...i'm not headed out there so i don't care.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    This "report" just reeks of fearmongering. The same kind of "reports" were all the rage back in 2012 during the Euro Cup in Ukraine and Poland, when people were warned that packs of neo-nazies would lynch any foreigner who is a bit tanned.

When western media stops publishing such over the top bullshit reports people might stop calling them mud slinging, but for now that is what that is.
    You're from Malta right? So it would be mudslinging to talk about a country that is *literally* selling its citizenship to paying customers and would be EU citizens to the point the EU had to step in and put their foot down? It would be mudslinging to talk about how it was international opinion that the entire exercise was bullshit?

You mudsling while decrying mudslinging. That's hysterical.

By the way, if it's such "fear-mongering", why does Google, corporations governments and firms all practice "loaners" and "scrubbing" of hardware when going to China and Russia, as written in that New York Time article from two years ago? Do they do it because they're bored?

15+ Year Old Account
    If he was using cellular, one *possible* method is that maybe the local Content Distribution Network's address was having its address spoofed by hackers to redirect people connecting to sites that download stuff. That could be pretty difficult I imagine, but who knows what IT infrastructure is like in Russia. Maybe it's less sophisticated and just having a local data network router IP being spoofed and it appropriatly redirecting. If I was a malicious type of person, I'd do that at Sochi for sure.

If he was using wifi, it's even easier, as I showed you.

thanks for clearing up my confusion
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, Russia. 24 years since the end of the Cold War and very little has changed; George Kennan's words remain just as relevant now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resike View Post
    Another Mac moron with no Windows 7.
    Your right, I left Windows 7 in the trash can, its outdated, bloated shit.

I have a imac, iphone, ipad air and a Windows 8.1 Beast (see sig) and a windows tablet...so I do know the differences in them. And I am on the iMac typing this!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Your right, I left Windows 7 in the trash can, its outdated, bloated shit.

I have a imac, iphone, ipad air and a Windows 8.1 Beast (see sig) and a windows tablet...so I do know the differences in them. And I am on the iMac typing this!
    Another Apple Cultist, I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

So it would be mudslinging to talk about a country that is *literally* selling its citizenship to paying customers and would be EU citizens to the point the EU had to step in and put their foot down? It would be mudslinging to talk about how it was international opinion that the entire exercise was bullshit?
    Im not from Malta, but reporting on their citizenship scheme isn't mudslinging as long as it's done profeessionally and objectively. Like this: http://www.euractiv.com/justice/malt...ge-news-532846

Claiming that "EVERYONE at the olympics is hacked mere minutes after they arrive" is not journalism, it's mudslinging. That video wasn't journalism either, it was fearmongering.

That "report" looks fake as hell. Just more anti-russian propaganda, IMO.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

15+ Year Old Account
    By the way, if it's such "fear-mongering", why does Google, corporations governments and firms all practice "loaners" and "scrubbing" of hardware when going to China and Russia, as written in that New York Time article from two years ago? Do they do it because they're bored?
    i do think there is a difference between people from big corporations and average joe, that google employees are at risk of being targeted by hackers makes sense, now of course information is value and that there´s a big market only for email adresses is known as well, still i think there´s a difference

just imagine the amount of data they´d have to crawl through by "hacking" everyone in china... though it probably comes down to how sophisticated the search programs are

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    i think russia is best at anti-russian propaganda at the moment, the shit that´s going on is unbelievable
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it disturbing how many people just buying into that kind of bullshit. Not very much surprising considering the amount of laughable cliches present in fiction. I wonder if anybody claimed that as soon as you turn the phone on in Russia, you will get instant call, and if you reply you will get mind controlled and turn into commie. And no, this is not the reason why right now I'm putting on my valenki, telogreika and ushanka, so I will be ready to wander through below absolute zero siberian cold desert to smash some iron bars with sledgehammer until they will turn into nuclear weapons. *sings The Internationale*

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Another Apple Cultist, I see.
    yeah, that owns as much Windows as Apple...you figured me out!

OT. time to go get a aluminum hat.

I really don't buy into stories like this on the news. Yes you do need to be safe on the net, but really? use a direct connect in the hotel and no wifi while your there and all will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    i do think there is a difference between people from big corporations and average joe, that google employees are at risk of being targeted by hackers makes sense, now of course information is value and that there´s a big market only for email adresses is known as well, still i think there´s a difference

just imagine the amount of data they´d have to crawl through by "hacking" everyone in china... though it probably comes down to how sophisticated the search programs are
    Well... it's pretty much Introduction to Programming 100 to be able to make a simple program that parses through files, looks for a 16 character string (i.e. a credit card number), and discards it if no such string is found.

When people get up infront of congress and testify about cybersecurity, they often mention "Criminals", which comes off as somewhat random. But it's entirely real. Central Asian (Russian, Ukranian particularly) organized crime has gotten fantastically wealthy off of Cybercrime. They're very smart, very capable and really only ever a few years behind state-of-the-art. They follow the money.

So while a visitor to Sochii's work documents may not be that interesting to them, the financial information of a person spending $1200 a day for a shitty hotel room certainly is. Sochii is actually the place to be if you think about it. If you're from the west, and you're going there, you're either (1) related to a competitor or (2) wealthy enough to be able to afford such an expensive trip.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well... it's pretty much Introduction to Programming 100 to be able to make a simple program that parses through files, looks for a 16 character string (i.e. a credit card number), and discards it if no such string is found.

When people get up infront of congress and testify about cybersecurity, they often mention "Criminals", which comes off as somewhat random. But it's entirely real. Central Asian (Russian, Ukranian particularly) organized crime has gotten fantastically wealthy off of Cybercrime. They're very smart, very capable and really only ever a few years behind state-of-the-art. They follow the money.

So while a visitor to Sochii's work documents may not be that interesting to them, the financial information of a person spending $1200 a day for a shitty hotel room certainly is. Sochii is actually the place to be if you think about it. If you're from the west, and you're going there, you're either (1) related to a competitor or (2) wealthy enough to be able to afford such an expensive trip.
    i don´t doubt it

How dare you! How dare you not buy into it!

I could do the same really, if you're foreigner coming to Russia, expect to be hacked, and if your name is Ahmed coming to the US expect to be strip searched every hour

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Precisely how? I can't tell you the methods they specifically used, but when a computer or a device tries to connect to a network, broadly speaking, there are multiple steps of handshaking involved and continuous acknowledgement that the connection is still active. Most information is transmitted in the clear.

If you want to do something fun, get the program called Wireshark, then go to a public place, like a mall for example and run it. It looks like this:

That may look like greek to you, but to me, I see what websites everyone in the room is looking at.

Wireshark is a packet sniffer, which means (pasted from it's definition

http://internet.wonderhowto.com/how-...eshark-424506/

Where do people learn how to do this? Well it's easy and on the internet, but I learned how to do it in a class room, in school, from a professor, in an academic setting. He actually did it to my class, years ago, to illustrate how packets work. Wireshark is hardly a hackers tool, but it goes to show how easy it is. You just have to run it and be in a room and traffic, mostly unencrypted, is easily intercepted and analyzed.

That's why people concerned about privacy come off as so utterly backwards. The above facts are shocking to them, but it's inherent to the technology and always has been. If you've been using Wifi the past decade and change it's been on the consumer market, you've been basically putting up a billboard saying "I'm here! This is what I am reading", wherever you are. You really wanna be stupid? Use airport wifi, hotel wifi or public wifi. When I go to a hotel, I use their wired connection, because of exactly this.

Wirless means information can broadly be intercepted, period. It always has and it always will. People truly concerned about privacy will use wired, and have air gaps between their device and the host when not using it. And also not use a cellphone. Or GPS. You say "how the hell could they?". The truth is, the correct statement is "That is utterly unsurprising."

Here's some info on Russia and China's hostile environment:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/te...ewanted=1&_r=0

That's actually very interesting! I should get educated on this.

- - - Updated - - -

No, Russia does that pretty well on their own.

You should get educated on what's happened around these olympics and you might realize how horrendously appauling it actually is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post

That's just media in general. They like to do that.
    But for people with no internet security understanding, this is a very important warning. Again, why didn't wear anything about stuff like this when we had the olympics in China? That place should be worse, but nothing like this was reported then.

You must realize, that Sochi, actually IS this bad. Do you know what they've done to their workers? Do you know the methods used to create the facilities for these olympics? Extortion, with-holding wages, bullying, death threats, torture, deportion. Entire workforces being told that they're gonna work for no pay.

Journalists have been very restricted, they're not allowed to ask questions to anyone but officials, they're not allowed to ask regualr people, workers, NO-ONE. They were given "tour guides", who avoided questiosn and just said what they'd been told to say, in a true North Korean fashion.

This goes far beyond internet security.

Then again, this is what that gives you.
    Here, read this, seriously. It's a collection of tweets and images from journalists in Sochi. The first image speaks for itself. "Here, worship the dear leader."
    http://cheezburger.com/179717
    Last edited by Noomz; 2014-02-06 at 01:20 PM.