10+ Year Old Account

Differences between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0

As far as the connections go, is there any actual difference between the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 cable or socket that would stop you (or make it pointless) simply plugging the USB connector from a case into a USB 3.0 header socket on the motherboard?

10+ Year Old Account
    yes, there are more data pins, USB3 is backwards compatible, but it is not the same as USB 2.0

- - - Updated - - -

there are adapters to convert the 3 header into dual 2 headers, but i haven't seen any that go the other way around, you could wire up a 2 header to fit in a 3 socket, but you will only get 2 speeds

10+ Year Old Account
    I see, ok, so the only way to make the USB 2.0 connections that are built into a case USB 3.0 is to replace the cable and header.

Sometimes you can find a conversion kit for the front panel that will give you the USB 3.0 ports that you need. That (or through a do-it-yourself wiring) is the only way you'll be able to get the front ports that have 3.0 speeds, due to the differences in the wiring/pins.

You could also find a bay that has 3.0 ports and such (either just USB or with card reader slots, a lot of times.) Or, if you don't care if they are front ports, you can get a PCI-E card that will give you more 3.0 ports on the back.

Here is a sample of something you could get. You might be able to find a way to make it go into your existing front ports, if you don't mind playing around with it and depending on your case. Note I have not used this product, but it seems like it would do what you might want.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1JM0GA3777

10+ Year Old Account
    there is this, if you don't have a 3.0 header on your board but still want to use the ports:
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...id=388&area=en

10+ Year Old Account
    That newegg one looks good. but not really what I was going for... I was looking at swapping out my case for one easier to work with and has dust covers on ALL fans...

Just that some of the ones I've noticed only have 1 USB 3.0 port and 2 or 3 USB 2.0 ports.