Page 14 of 96 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aggs View Post
    Wow if you haven't read the previous postings maybe you shouldn't put words in peoples mouths. If you care to go back and look, I simply said they should say what they mean "a pregnancy has no effect on a man" was the statement I quoted and I stick to the fact that it is a ridiculous statement.

But to play devils advocate on your leap lol, (though not recognized as a medical condition) take a peek at Couvade sydrome.
    Very droll. Women have an actual, real risk of permanent physical damage and even death from pregnancy. They have a -lot- more of a stake in bringing a kid to term than a man does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Wow if you haven't read the previous postings maybe you shouldn't put words in peoples mouths. If you care to go back and look, I simply said they should say what they mean "a pregnancy has no effect on a man" was the statement I quoted and I stick to the fact that it is a ridiculous statement.
    Men risks suffering preeclampsia during a pregnancy or other complications. Men risks suffering injuries during birth that can kill them. No, wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The fact that women have a chance of actually dying from the pregnancy.
    A woman has the right to choose to opt out of having a child if she fears such an outcome, since that is a factor in just about every pregnancy. This isn't part of the whats at stake since the phrase, and this thread, deals with matters after birth rather than before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they are allowed to donate, but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Very droll. Women have an actual, real risk of permanent physical damage and even death from pregnancy. They have a -lot- more of a stake in bringing a kid to term than a man does.
    Right and does that make the statement any more true? I'll post it again. "A pregnancy has no effect on a man"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vokal View Post
    A woman has the right to choose to opt out of having a child if she fears such an outcome, since that is a factor in just about every pregnancy. This isn't part of the whats at stake since the phrase, and this thread, deals with matters after birth rather than before.
    Then stop using "woman can have an abortion" as justification for that argument, because it's not relative at all.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by KNKA View Post
    She doesn't opt out of her obligations towards a child when she gets an abortion because there is no child.
    That is exactly my point.
    I dont care if they are allowed to donate, but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Right and does that make the statement any more true? I'll post it again. "A pregnancy has no effect on a man"
    Only effect it has on a man is a psychological impact which varies wildly from man to man and you cannot fall back on that because of that.

Men risks suffering preeclampsia during a pregnancy or other complications. Men risks suffering injuries during birth that can kill them. No, wait.
    Again this isn't what you said or what I took issue with.

I don't understand the title.
    If men can't why is there so much deadbeat dad dialog and drama over single mothers?
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Again this isn't what you said or what I took issue with.
    No, you take issue with something that varies so wildly from man to man that you can't even reliably tell how it will affect men.

"a pregnancy has no effect on a man" was the statement I quoted
    That's true. That is what you quoted. However, "Motherhood also means the woman is pregnant and her body is affected by it. A man is not affected by a pregnancy." is what was actually said. Unless you lack serious comprehension skills, the semantic meaning of that statement is obviously about the physiological effects of being pregnant, not the psychological effects of being involved in a pregnancy.

Then stop using "woman can have an abortion" as justification for that argument, because it's not relative at all.
    You're telling me that 'women have the option to terminate pregnancy' is not a satisfactory response to 'giving birth can prove fatal'?

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    That's true. That is what you quoted. However, "Motherhood also means the woman is pregnant and her body is affected by it. A man is not affected by a pregnancy." is what was actually said. Unless you lack serious comprehension skills, the semantic meaning of that statement is obviously about the physiological effects of being pregnant, not the psychological effects of being involved in a pregnancy.
    Are you denying that he can be effected? Obviously not to the same degree but to deny that they can be effected as was stated is absurd.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're telling me that 'women have the option to terminate pregnancy' is not a satisfactory response to 'giving birth can prove fatal'?
    I'm telling you that "women have the option to terminate pregnancy" is not relative to a man's financial responsibilities to raising the child, yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    now this topic wasn´t here for a long time... wohoo let the circle argumentation begin
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Are you denying that he can be effected? Obviously not to the same degree but to deny that they can be effected as was stated is absurd.
    I'm denying that he can get pregnant, which was the obvious meaning of that statement. Pedantry is not particularly cogent.

Deleted
    Nobody is denying the psychological impact it can have but it differs so wildly from man to man that you can't reliably tell how it will affect men. Which is in no way comparable to the physical aspects of a pregnancy anyways.

I'm telling you that "women have the option to terminate pregnancy" is not relative to a man's financial responsibilities to raising the child, yes.
    The thread isn't debating that however.

Deleted
    The thread isn't debating that however.
    You have no financial responsibility for a fetus that you can forfeit. So, logically, you want to be able to forfeit it for the child if you want men to be able to forfeit their responsibilities. Which women cannot.

Nobody is denying the psychological impact it can have but it differs so wildly from man to man that you can't reliably tell how it will affect men. Which is in no way comparable to the physical aspects of a pregnancy anyways.
    Maybe don't use a woman can die from it in any argument either then. I mean those effects from pregnancy can vary so widely, I don't think most die.