Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    There is a HUGE jump from peace to full nuclear exchange.
    Not necessarily. Kennedy was going to go right to it during the missile crisis if the Soviets tried to stop an invasion of Cuba. The USA also holds a monopoly on MAD (should we act first) so if a serious conflict with the Russians were imminent we'd probably just take them out on the onset, rather than waiting for their possible launch.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'm aware. I'm also aware that the government should protect the rights of the minority since tyranny of the majority is just as reprehensible as tyranny from the top down.
    Gays in Russia enjoy all the rights Straights do.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Gays in Russia enjoy all the rights Straights do.
    Can't tell if serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Kennedy was going to go right to it during the missile crisis if the Soviets tried to stop an invasion of Cuba.

Kennedy wasn't as stupid as you make him out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not necessarily. Kennedy was going to go right to it during the missile crisis if the Soviets tried to stop an invasion of Cuba. The USA also holds a monopoly on MAD (should we act first) so if a serious conflict with the Russians were imminent we'd probably just take them out on the onset, rather than waiting for their possible launch.
    Cuban missile crisis was different in both the mind set of the winnability of nuclear war, and in the ability of Russia to respond in kind. Russia has maintained a credible ability to counter-strike via mobile launchers that are hard to ensure are destroyed. Conflict with Russia is always seen in classic Continental war, which both sides know is not viable.

And it is know that the first use of a nuclear weapon in the Cuban Missile Crisis would have most likely been Soviet nuclear torpedoes used against US Navy targets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Without the Euro they would have been able to deflate their currency and increase barrowing costs, but instead Germany forced them through painful Austerity that crippled their economies.
    I now you hate Germany and see Germany as root to all evil but think, What will happen if Spain will leave the Euro as yourself did point out the borrowing cost will go up... it will not only go up it will go crazy the same will happen to the inflation because Persident Cybran will devalue hard as the solution...

Now President Cybran what will you say to all normal people who have a bank account? Sorry but we was force to destroy half your saving because you did not move your money abroad as fast as the big player?

By how will you borrow money of to kick start the economy because you believe in spending your out of the recession? What will you do then old loan expires and must be renew?

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    I now you hate Germany and see Germany as root to all evil but think, What will happen if Spain will leave the Euro as yourself did point out the borrowing cost will go up... it will not only go up it will go crazy the same will happen to the inflation because Persident Cybran will devalue hard as the solution...

Now President Cybran what will you say to all normal people who have a bank account? Sorry but we was force to destroy half your saving because you did not move your money abroad as fast as the big player?

By how will you borrow money of to kick start the economy because you believe in spending your out of the recession? What will you do then old loan expires and must be renew?
    He''ll find somebody to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Check how country that COULD manipulate currency dealt with crisis:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2...nancial_crisis
    ...they already recovered by now, and can be seen as success story.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of banks... Meanwhile in Europe:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A4D05020140514
    Reuters: ECB readies negative deposit rate and target liquidity for June

Where “negative deposit rates” means that the banks will charge the customer for saving money and placing it in the bank. Looks like savings have to be destroyed either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Where “negative deposit rates” means that the banks will charge the customer for saving money and placing it in the bank. Looks like savings have to be destroyed either way.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...in-Sweden.html

8 countries in Europe are already caught in a deflation cycle just like Japan in the 90s. What this means is that there is no demand and prices decrease which causes investors to keep their money and wait for prices to drop before buying. This in turn drives demand down and causes more deflation until everyone is fucked.

The ECB ignored the warnings for months and now they are trying to do something desperate about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    How come you manage to read the same thing as everyone else and come to a wrong conclusion? The EURO is the root cause of the crisis. The way it works is turning the South into a periphery that has to rely on the North for it's survival and economic decissions.

The Euro is broken and Italy is right to consider ditching it.
    The Euro is only broken because it lacks a centralized monetary authority to manage it to an acceptable degree. We saw the same problem in the US with Jackson's pet banks. You cannot have a shared currency and local administration, the two are incompatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

You cannot have a shared currency and local administration, the two are incompatible.
    Which is why the Euro needs to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Your statement clearly shows your lack of knowledge how laws are accepted in Russia. Just so you can understand the degree of how you are wrong, i'll tell this:
    USA could abolish Congress and nothing would change,literally.Whatever important current President says or does gets accepted without any resistance in there - something you dont see in Eastern countries where every law is scrutinized,every change from opposition or position meets massive resistance from either parties - a normal political process.
    No, that's actually bullshit and shows how little you know about American government.

Russia is in no way a paragon of democratic institutions. It's the land that the Enlightenment forgot.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is why the Euro needs to go.
    No, it's actually why Europe needs to be federalized more along US lines.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

No, it's actually why Europe needs to be federalized more along US lines.
    It's been terrible so far. The EU needs to be put out of it's misery.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been terrible so far. The EU needs to be put out of it's misery.
    Actually, no, it's been rather good for all countries involved thus far; the most developed countries get a healthy influx of labor and an expanded market, the less developed countries get funding to invest in infrastructure and make their markets more attractive for investment - one of the reasons firms like Microsoft are expanding into Eastern Europe due to a much higher level of education and infrastructural development in those regions as a result of their incorporation into Europe proper.

The issue is that they're essentially a confederated government which is not suitable in the long term (as evidenced in the US twice), and they need to shift to a federated model.

Actually, no, it's been rather good for all countries involved thus far; the most developed countries get a healthy influx of labor and an expanded market, the less developed countries get funding to invest in infrastructure and make their markets more attractive for investment - one of the reasons firms like Microsoft are expanding into Eastern Europe due to a much higher level of education and infrastructural development in those regions as a result of their incorporation into Europe proper.

The issue is that they're essentially a confederated government which is not suitable in the long term (as evidenced in the US twice), and they need to shift to a federated model.
    You are trying to tell Cybran why the EU is a good thing... it has less chances for success than teaching a stone how to swim.

the most developed countries get a healthy influx of labor and an expanded market
    They get wage slaves who they can exploit and underpay to keep their trade surplus artificially high.

a result of their incorporation into Europe proper.
    That region always had skilled and educated professionals. The EU has nothing to do with that.

It's a one sided relationship from which only a few select core members benefit while the rest are turned into provinces without a say in their own affairs.

Yeah, America is just like Russia. You must be ignorant to every single metric that we linked earlier.
    I'm not following the thread, but America's done plenty invading.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Check how country that COULD manipulate currency dealt with crisis:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2...nancial_crisis
    ...they already recovered by now, and can be seen as success story.
    Huuu did you read your own link?

They give the reason to the speedy recovery as Three main factors

1) emergency legislation to take over the domestic operations of the three largest banks.....
    2) painful austerity measures and significant tax hikes....
    3) feasibility of EU membership, this action has served to enhance the credibility of the country on international financial markets.

Nothing about hard devaluation.

You always louse money if you only have your money on a standard bank account, the interest rate are lower then the inflation in the long run, but now you see it clearly now because the inflation is almost zero. before inflation 2% deposit rate 1% Now Inflation 0,5% deposit rate -0,5%

So the customer will louse 0,5%/year of its saving but hard devaluation can be 20-50% loss in a instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollskalden View Post
    Americans are not as bad as Putin.
    True.

Based on kill count, comparing Putin to America is like comparing Bob the thug to Hitler.

10+ Year Old Account
    They get wage slaves who they can exploit and underpay to keep their trade surplus artificially high.
    I have yet to see any actual evidence of this beyond isolated incidents.

That region always had skilled and educated professionals. The EU has nothing to do with that.
    Yes. And until the Cold War ended they were all buggering off to America or Europe proper - EU funding has helped to cultivate a domestic market.

It's a one sided relationship from which only a few select core members benefit while the rest are turned into provinces without a say in their own affairs.
    First off, clearly they cannot manage their own affairs given their economic failures. I mean if Bulgaria was semi-competent at fiscal management then it wouldn't take more in EU funding than it contributes, right?

Secondly, I've heard this bitching before from the Southern states in the US despite the fact that they derive significant benefit from membership in the Union.