Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    We understand some people like flying.

What we're calling bullshit on is the notion that no-flying is gamebreaking. This is so unreasonable that it's difficult to see it as other than hysteria or mendacity.

So fucking what?! why, after the content is old and done (*Read either a patch or two into the expansion) should we HAVE to be carroted along to that one and done crapfest?

After getting full mythic gear, being a DK with a crapton of speedboosts, and having a slew of farming alts, should I have to ride through a pack of mobs?!

There is NO reason. at that point, it ain't entertaining, it isn't 'immersive'. it's an artificial, unneeded gate that is designed to do nothing but make things take too long.

Are you saying that hey! you've done loremaster?! cool! now go do that again and get no achievement, no title, and no gold for doing the quests at max level on your main?

Because that's what it essentially feels like to do crap without a reward or character progression perk.

Quote Originally Posted by cabyio View Post
    The bad part is where people on your side act like the fucking world is going to come to an end because blizzard removed flying. Especially because for all we know it might come right back in the first patch.
    Yeah I agree, extremism to the point of "No flying in WoD will destroy the world" is over the top, just the same as saying "Flying in WoD will destroy the world".

The sad part is, though, we don't know it is coming back, that is why this discussion on its possible non existence in WoD is still going.

2 scenarios. Indulge me for a sec.

Scenario A.

Blizz sticks to the flying back in 6.1 after an epic quest chain.

Scenario B.

Blizz goes back and forth for up to 12 months, playing its own community against itself for no good reason, to eventually just do what they said they would in the first place, or potentially not at all, at best creating an uneeded divide in its own playerbase and at worse making people STOP PLAYING to show their dislike of a design direction.

Which do you think will provide the best outcomes for a game Blizz is promoting?
    Last edited by CheeseSandwich; 2014-08-29 at 09:21 PM.
    "These so called speed humps are a joke. If anything, they slow you down. "

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSandwich View Post
    Yeah I agree, extremism to the point of "No flying in WoD will destroy the world" is over the top, just the same as saying "Flying in WoD will destroy the world".

The sad part is, though, we don't know it is coming back, that is why this discussion on its possible non existence in WoD is still going.

2 scenarios. Indulge me for a sec.

Scenario A.

Blizz sticks to the flying back in 6.1 after an epic quest chain.

Scenario B.

Blizz goes back and forth for up to 12 months, playing its own community against itself for no good reason, to eventually just do what they said they would in the first place, or potentially not at all, at best creating an uneeded divide in its own playerbase and at worse making people STOP PLAYING to show their dislike of a design direction.

Which do you think will provide the best outcomes for a game Blizz is promoting?
    Not sure which is best as I am kinda non-committal on the flying thing. What I think will happen is they will put it back in with the 6.1 patch for the main areas of draenor and any new areas introduced with 6.1 will be no flying. Basically it will just be the new normal. Instead of no flying till level cap it will be no flying until first patch on expansions going forward.

Also, don't worry if the anti-flyers shit their pants if/when flying gets put back in I will make fun of them too.

10+ Year Old Account

What we're calling bullshit on is the notion that no-flying is gamebreaking. This is so unreasonable that it's difficult to see it as other than hysteria or mendacity.
    No hysteria from me. I think flying is overwhelmingly unlikely to be introduced to Wod ever and I've said this many times. I am pro flight and I will miss it, but I will adapt. As long as the game is fun, I will keep playing it and that's what Blizzard is banking on.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure which is best as I am kinda non-committal on the flying thing. What I think will happen is they will put it back in with the 6.1 patch for the main areas of draenor and any new areas introduced with 6.1 will be no flying. Basically it will just be the new normal. Instead of no flying till level cap it will be no flying until first patch on expansions going forward.

Also, don't worry if the anti-flyers shit their pants if/when flying gets put back in I will make fun of them too.
    Do you think Tom Chilton plans on be introducing flight to WoD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mydjaH_HIE
    Comments about flying at 19:00

Do you think he is lying?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimskull22 View Post
    So fucking what?! why, after the content is old and done (*Read either a patch or two into the expansion) should we HAVE to be carroted along to that one and done crapfest?
    Why? Because the devs said so, that's why.

Do you really thing the devs need your permission before they do something?

There is NO reason
    The devs have given their reasons. Stop lying about there being no reasons. You don't like the reasons, but your opinion means nothing to anyone but yourself, so stop trying to imagine it's a convincing argument.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

That's cool, but my point is, if that is the plan (and I am fine with that plan), why go through this whole ordeal in the first place? Why make this discussion point, if they are planning on doing it anyway? Why not do what they said months ago, and now, 2 months before release, give us hints to what the epic flight quest at 6.1 will entail? What is there to gain by turning its players, no matter what percentage of them, against each other?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? Because the devs said so, that's why.

Do you really thing the devs need your permission before they do something?

The devs have given their reasons. Stop lying about there being no reasons. You don't like the reasons, but your opinion means nothing to anyone but yourself, so stop trying to imagine it's a convincing argument.
    This forum is a place to discuss all things WoW, including disagreeing with the devs. This forum would be a useless place if only those that agree with everything Blizzard does is allowed to post here

Quote Originally Posted by Nayaga View Post
    Do you think Tom Chilton plans on be introducing flight to WoD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mydjaH_HIE
    Comments about flying at 19:00

Do you think he is lying?
    All he says is they are exploring not having flying for one entire patch and if players overwhelmingly want it back then it will be back. I think enough people will want it back that it will come back in 6.1. Not sure what you are referring to with the lying comment.

The one official, non deleted, non implied reason Blizz has given for flight restriction is because we can fly over a wall and kill a guy, totally ignoring all the other times within the last 4 expacs of WoW when that hasn't been a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    All he says is they are exploring not having flying for one entire patch and if players overwhelmingly want it back then it will be back. I think enough people will want it back that it will come back in 6.1. Not sure what you are referring to with the lying comment.
    Did you listen to it? He didn't say anything about "exploring not having flying for one entire patch "

He said that there needs to be and "overwhelming" majority of gamer tht want flying to bring it back ever.

There is no "overwhelming" majority that want it back, he knows this and even says it.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSandwich View Post
    The one official, non deleted, non implied reason Blizz has given for flight restriction is because we can fly over a wall and kill a guy, totally ignoring all the other times within the last 4 expacs of WoW when that hasn't been a problem.
    Actually, it was a problem. It trivializes content, and has done so since it was introduced. There were plenty of places in BC and Wrath where one could just skip large numbers of mobs and swoop down on a target. It's understandable that a game designer would not like this, and it's also reasonable that if they design an expansion without flying, they can tailor content around that fact.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nayaga View Post
    Did you listen to it? He didn't say anything about "exploring not having flying for one entire patch "

He said that there needs to be and "overwhelming" majority of gamer tht want flying to bring it back ever.

There is no "overwhelming" majority that want it back, he knows this and even says it.
    Did you? 19:28 - "We are still kind of seeing how this experiment of not allowing players players to fly for one entire patch goes."

Also he only says there isn't a majority of players that, I quote, "players that hate it and think its the worst decision ever made" at 19:34

So it still sounds to me like:

1. Testing it for one patch to see how it works.
    2. If alot of people want it back then it will be back.

Actually, it was a problem. It trivializes content, and has done so since it was introduced. There were plenty of places in BC and Wrath where one could just skip large numbers of mobs and swoop down on a target. It's understandable that a game designer would not like this, and it's also reasonable that if they design an expansion without flying, they can tailor content around that fact.
    I am willing to go with this, if you could provide examples of how flying directly clashed with max level open world game design in BC and WotLK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you? 19:28 - "We are still kind of seeing how this experiment of not allowing players players to fly for one entire patch goes."

Also he only says there isn't a majority of players that, I quote, "players that hate it and think its the worst decision ever made" at 19:34

So it still sounds to me like:

1. Testing it for one patch to see how it works.
    2. If alot of people want it back then it will be back.
    One of us has selective hearing. I hope you are right, I would love to get flying back!

My top three features outside instances are flying, pet/mount collecting, and achievements. Removing one and damaging another (less fun to collect if I can't fly anywhere relevant) is game breaking for me. You don't get to decide what is game breaking for anyone other than yourself.

You say you understand, but you go on to contradict that statement...

You're paying for something. You like it so you're willing to do that. Now that something is being replaced with something you hate. Are you not justified in taking your money elsewhere? Are you not justified in saying that you dislike the change?

How is that bullshit?

What I find bullshit is posts like yours. You're basically saying "I understand your opinion, but I think it's bullshit because my opinion is better".
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    After several months of following this fight amongst 15 posters, and taking a good portion of that in breaks from posting, a few things have been made very clear. There are 3 camps in this thread. The PFs (Pro-Fliers), the AFs (Anti-Fliers), and the DCs (Don't Cares). Having been a part of the PFs and DCs, I now find myself being pulled to the AFs. However, I am not in this to lobby against flight. I still believe flight should be reinstated in 6.1 or 6.2. However, after a long look at the situation, and the game, and what has been going on in my life outside of the game, it occurs to me that not flying for a few months, or even a few patches, is not such a bad thing.

For the first time, in a long time, I found myself wishing the game would be what it was when I first started playing, a game I absolutely fell in love with. In Burning Crusade, I spent most of the expansion on the ground, playing multiple classes, and slowly getting into raiding. Flight was cool, but it was just not important. After taking a long, hard, honest look at my reasons for wanting to fly, they were driven by a need to avoid the content of the game, and just do my own thing how I saw fit. As a Druid, with a flight form, and the ability to gather herbs and quest items without shapeshifting back (several years later), I could not imagine wanting to give all that up. Now, the thought is becoming more and more appealing.

I hated Wrath, aside from my Worgen. I hated Pandaria, aside from the scenery. I really enjoyed the corrupted and ruined Draenor. Now, after launching into Beta, I am enjoying the intact and uncorrupted Draenor, and her scenery. Flying did not bring me to this game. The story, the immersion, and the people brought me here. Wrath was so amazing it kept me here. I stayed to see if Cata and MoP could be the next great thing, and was sadly let down on both fronts. I'm confident that flight will make its return with 6.1, maybe even 6.2 if people seem ok with the game as it stands at 100. Truth is, no one... not the PFs, AFs, or DCs have any real CLUE as to how 7M-10M other players who do NOT come to forums, will react.

Personally, after a long talk with Sylvia in customer service, and a little help from a few GMs in game, turns out getting the 1 of 3 accounts back to play, is not really such a difficult task. I've still not pre-ordered since I want to see how Beta goes. Though I am far from impressed with Draenor, but unimpressed with Flight Path routes. It remains to be seen if they will be rerouted before, or after the launch. Time will tell. I am still not completely convinced this will be an outstanding expansion, but I have had enough time away, and a chance to compartmentalize some real world concerns which originally had me in a bad place, and set me on a path I almost did not come back from.

So, am I positive flight is coming back in 6.1? Not really. Am I sure about WoD? More now than I was. Do I think the AFs need to stop poking the PFs? Yes. Do I think the PFs need to stop quibbling with the AFs? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter II View Post
    For the first time, in a long time, I found myself wishing the game would be what it was when I first started playing, a game I absolutely fell in love with.
    How does removal of flight suddenly make the game better for you? They aren't changing anything else about the game. It's the same thing as the last three expansions. I can't wait for the anti-flight people get to max level and finally realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter II View Post
    I hated Wrath, aside from my Worgen.
    You mean cataclysm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    How does removal of flight suddenly make the game better for you? They aren't changing anything else about the game. It's the same thing as the last three expansions. I can't wait for the anti-flight people get to max level and finally realize that.
    lvl 100 on the beta and I like the no fly very much

Quote Originally Posted by kamran View Post
    lvl 100 on the beta and I like the no fly very much
    Why is it better? Why do you prefer it over live?

What about it is better? What elements of it are better than what is on live servers? What is in the WoD world that makes it better?

How is no flying better? How have the WoD changes to max level open world game play made it a better game than max level MoP?