Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

The aftermath of Endgame, though, where she played a critical role and, I believe, didn't immediately book it back off into space, that's where Earthers are likely to know her from. We've seen tons of background commentary on the Blip and the events; that stuff's all very "real" in-universe, even if the films haven't focused on it. I'm sure she's given public interviews and such, though she's likely kept a lot of stuff secret.

Not as well-known as the Avengers, but well enough she'd get coverage, I imagine. She's not a subtle presence who might otherwise go unnoticed.
    Not too mention we don't have a full account of her activities during the 5 year gap. I imagine the Avengers had plenty of fires to put out on Earth before she decided to book it off into space. And i imagine the "She blew up Thanos' massive Space ship" story has reached a few ears.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    It looks like they are giving her quasar’s powers. I guess stretching powers would look bad so it makes sense.
    I don't think they are holding back on "stretching powers" because they think it would look bad. I think it's more likely they are keeping those powers reserved for someone else...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post

So ya, the usual suspects that hate comics/games that dont center on them, will not appreciate this.
    Well, there is a non-zero amount of those types that were already checked out as soon as they saw the main character is a Pakistani-American Girl.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    I do wonder how much people on earth know of Captain Marvel. It’s not like we’ve seen her in what I’d call high profile public appearances.
    I wonder how much the public knows about most of the super hero stuff, not like there are a lot of reporters in Wakanda.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Well, there is a non-zero amount of those types that were already checked out as soon as they saw the main character is a Pakistani-American Girl.
    I haven't read comics in decades, and know little enough about Ms Marvel, but it looked like a decent enough series. Honestly, I'd rather people that didn't want to watch it because "don't center on them" or "saw the main character" did check out, because that's fine. This story is very much a "we made a new character that fits into the world of Marvel", so I can't see how anyone can complain about it's existence, though I'm sure there's places on the internet with those complaints.

I don't keep Disney+, and have been mixed on the Marvel series anyway, so when I do get Marvel+ next, I'll check it out to see if it's entertaining.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

I'm fine and open-minded about the change in powers, though the question is still there and it bothers me: why? This is the first time they've drastically changed up a superhero's power.

It absolutely has to be because Reed Richards, now that they're confirmed coming to the MCU, they must not have wanted two newcomers with the exact same powers from completely different origins. Kamala uses hers differently but it's not like Reed couldn't do it either, except Embiggen.

A stretchy hero is still unique to the current lineup, and they changed hers because they can't change Mr. Fantastic who is a hugely more known hero.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    I was wondering if they were going to go stretchy powers with this. The tech side looks like they’ll pull it off way better, though I have to wonder if those are supposed to be negabands

I do wonder how much people on earth know of Captain Marvel. It’s not like we’ve seen her in what I’d call high profile public appearances.
    Your last question is the exact same way I felt about pretty much everything during and after the events of Endgame. Such weird inconsistencies like the public knowing that Iron Man died by sacrificing himself. That little IRRITATING AS HELL moment in WandaVision when Jimmy Woo and Darcy say to one another "She almost single handedly defeated Thanos if he didn't call in an air strike". HOW could they have known that? That must mean the public is fully aware of the Guardians, of the Sorcerers, of Captain Marvel, of the Infinity Stones. It's like the press was there or they managed to sit down all the different heroes for interviews, like they were watching what each and every other player on the battlefield was doing while also fighting?
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2022-03-15 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

I haven't read comics in decades, and know little enough about Ms Marvel, but it looked like a decent enough series. Honestly, I'd rather people that didn't want to watch it because "don't center on them" or "saw the main character" did check out, because that's fine. This story is very much a "we made a new character that fits into the world of Marvel", so I can't see how anyone can complain about it's existence, though I'm sure there's places on the internet with those complaints.
    There are always people that complain about the new "woke" characters. When Kamala was introduced it was the usual "why not just make new minority characters instead of taking an existing (read: White) character's title"... despite the facts that:

a) When Kamala was introduced...Carol Danvers was no longer even using the "Ms. Marvel" title.

b) The argument has always been dumb. "Ms. Marvel" isn't a character. "Carol Danvers" is the character and before she adopted the Super-hero Identity of Captain Marvel... she went by Ms. Marvel...she also used the identities "Warbird" and "Binary" at times as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post

Your last question is the exact same way I felt about pretty much everything during and after the events of Endgame. Such weird inconsistencies like the public knowing that Iron Man died by sacrificing himself. That little IRRITATING AS HELL moment in WandaVision when Jimmy Woo and Darcy say to one another "She almost single handedly defeated Thanos if he didn't call in an air strike". HOW could they have known that? That must mean the public is fully aware of the Guardians, of the Sorcerers, of Captain Marvel, of the Infinity Stones. It's like the press was there or they managed to sit down all the different heroes for interviews, like they were watching what each and every other player on the battlefield was doing while also fighting?
    It's not like Thanos' attack would have gone unnoticed. It's not like the Avengers compound was hidden away on some secluded island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean...it was in Upstate New York. There's probably civilian footage of a lot if it. Just like there were bootleg videos of the Battle of New York.

And yeah, I imagine the Avengers did do press releases, interviews, and senate hearings and all kinds of shit. People would have questions about how all those people that vanished off the face of the Earth suddenly returned 5 years later. About how Tony Stark died. About Captain America disappearing. About a whole lot of things. The Avengers are the only people that would have answers to those questions.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fine and open-minded about the change in powers, though the question is still there and it bothers me: why? This is the first time they've drastically changed up a superhero's power.

It absolutely has to be because Reed Richards, now that they're confirmed coming to the MCU, they must not have wanted two newcomers with the exact same powers from completely different origins. Kamala uses hers differently but it's not like Reed couldn't do it either, except Embiggen.

A stretchy hero is still unique to the current lineup, and they changed hers because they can't change Mr. Fantastic who is a hugely more known hero.
    Probably the case, though I maintain that stretchy powers inevitably look way sillier in live action than in comics.

You think Tony isn't recording everything so his AI can run permutations and optimize function in future encounters? Hell, we see that he's done this in Civil War, when he talks about his AI knowing all Cap's moves. And that's just one hero. War Machine and Pepper in the Rescue Suit probably have the same capacity, and we know both were there. Spidey's using the Iron Spider suit, which may also have cameras (and Peter leaking footage he's captured of his own antics is, like, as core to the character as anything). The Wakandans likely have something comparable. Plus long-range capture, including satellite footage. And that's just direct video, not counting the accounts by survivors, TV interviews, etc.

One of the key distinctions with the MCU was they pretty much immediately, with the first Iron Man, came right out and (mostly) abandoned the whole "secret identity" schtick.

Look at how much we know about WWII battles, and the figures that spearheaded them. Now, realize that video was borderline nonexistent. And that the Thanos era involved even greater negative impacts on humanity than WWII ever did.

Also, both the characters you're talking about in Wandavision were concretely dialed-in to the whole thing and aren't just random nobodies on the street, and they're both at a major operation trying to deal with Wanda specifically, so being up-to-date on how things played out with her in Endgame seems like something everyone there would be familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Probably the case, though I maintain that stretchy powers inevitably look way sillier in live action than in comics.

You think Tony isn't recording everything so his AI can run permutations and optimize function in future encounters? Hell, we see that he's done this in Civil War, when he talks about his AI knowing all Cap's moves. And that's just one hero. War Machine and Pepper in the Rescue Suit probably have the same capacity, and we know both were there. Spidey's using the Iron Spider suit, which may also have cameras (and Peter leaking footage he's captured of his own antics is, like, as core to the character as anything). The Wakandans likely have something comparable. Plus long-range capture, including satellite footage. And that's just direct video, not counting the accounts by survivors, TV interviews, etc.

One of the key distinctions with the MCU was they pretty much immediately, with the first Iron Man, came right out and (mostly) abandoned the whole "secret identity" schtick.

Look at how much we know about WWII battles, and the figures that spearheaded them. Now, realize that video was borderline nonexistent. And that the Thanos era involved even greater negative impacts on humanity than WWII ever did.

Also, both the characters you're talking about in Wandavision were concretely dialed-in to the whole thing and aren't just random nobodies on the street, and they're both at a major operation trying to deal with Wanda specifically, so being up-to-date on how things played out with her in Endgame seems like something everyone there would be familiar with.
    So in conclusion: it's impossible that the public wouldn't know who Captain Marvel is, that time travel is possible, what the infinity stones are and that magic exists.

So in conclusion: it's impossible that the public wouldn't know who Captain Marvel is, that time travel is possible, what the infinity stones are and that magic exists.
    Yup. Imagine what the tabloids are like in the MCU if regular news is all this crazy shit!

Now if they played it right, this would be a good catalyst for anti-mutant hysteria, even if it logically would be anti-superhero hysteria. I’m still annoyed they haven’t mined the blip stories in some way outside of FatWS. Seems like a good bit of interesting storytelling here is being ignored.

We have no idea what "the public" would know about Captain Marvel. But it has been 5 years since she returned to Earth at the end of Infinity War. Assuming she didn't immediately go back out into deep space after Thor decpitated Thanos... it's likely that people would have seen her in action. I'm sure the first few months after the Snap kept the Avengers pretty busy.

Likewise, "the public" wouldn't necessarily know about time travel or the infinity stones... but they certainly know about Thor and Loki...so that kinda covers "magic". They also know about aliens, super-powers, that Wakanada has secretly been the most technologically advanced nation on Earth, that half of the people on Earth simply vanished and reappeared 5 years later, and sentient robots. At this point I think the public isn't gonna be shocked by much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ms Marvel has always been a character I been very neutral about, she has her audience and that's all fine and I like when she is featured in crossovers in the comics, but I'll be honest this trailer is horrid. It looks like cheap 90's straight to TV movie in the effects department,. and I know its a TV series but a company such as Disney I expected a bit more out for this. Maybe its just bad marketing, but this trailer doesn't do much for me.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You really went off the deep end from surveillance being a thing to it negating the MCU entirely.
    How can one be refuted but the other proven canon from the same exact event? People saw it all, right?

- - - Updated - - -

We have no idea what "the public" would know about Captain Marvel. But it has been 5 years since she returned to Earth at the end of Infinity War. Assuming she didn't immediately go back out into deep space after Thor decpitated Thanos... it's likely that people would have seen her in action. I'm sure the first few months after the Snap kept the Avengers pretty busy.

Likewise, "the public" wouldn't necessarily know about time travel or the infinity stones... but they certainly know about Thor and Loki...so that kinda covers "magic". They also know about aliens, super-powers, that Wakanada has secretly been the most technologically advanced nation on Earth, that half of the people on Earth simply vanished and reappeared 5 years later, and sentient robots. At this point I think the public isn't gonna be shocked by much.
    Not to mention a giant alien head visible to the entirety of half the planet for a few minutes complete with weather changing and everything. So at this point nothing would seem impossible to the good citizens of the MCU, so there is likely no way we can't prove things like magic, space gods, alternate realities, time travel and aliens aren't each their own subjects in a Marvel High School.

Not to mention a giant alien head visible to the entirety of half the planet for a few minutes complete with weather changing and everything. So at this point nothing would seem impossible to the good citizens of the MCU, so there is likely no way we can't prove things like magic, space gods, alternate realities, time travel and aliens aren't each their own subjects in a Marvel High School.
    Well no...we can't prove anything that has not been actually shown... and despite the fact that we have seen Peter Parker in high school...those movies didn't seem to focus too much on what was being taught in his classes. We can, however, make reasonable assumptions. I believe it is reasonable to assume that the High School curriculum in a universe where Gods, Magic, and Aliens have all been proven to exist in the last decade or so would be starting to differentiate itself from High Schools in our more mundane universe. Though I imagine such changes to the classroom material would take some time to actualize. I'm pretty sure there are definitely some MCU historians looking at, for example, the Salem Witch Trials in a new light.

I'm also pretty certain we can deduce that the Avengers would be pretty big celebtrties. I mean, I can't go on twitter for ten seconds without being bombarded with what Emma Watson was wearing at the BAFTA awards. I can imagine "Captain Marvel's new hairstyle" would be trending as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Only if Walton Goggins is Dr. Doom!
    Didn't he already play a random thug in Antman 2? Unless I missed some reference to him being more important. It did strike me as a weird waste of a good actor.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the same sense that the real-world public knows that Ukraine exists, that acupuncture is derived from ancient Chinese medicine, and that quantum mechanics are real.

They might not all be fully-informed on every subject, obviously, but it wouldn't shock them for someone to bring them up as if they were real. Because they are. Observably, definably real.

Literally one of the main reasons the Sokovia Accords were pushed into existence over; public outcry over how dangerous powered individuals could become, and a recognition that such powers were indiscriminately spread around and not limited to just a handful of individuals.

You can't even claim there's a security risk to the knowledge of the Infinity Stones; they've been destroyed, and they're not a cosmic secret in the first place so keeping it secret only to non-powered Earthlings just seems incredibly stupid.

About the only thing that's maybe iffy is the secrets of time travel, but A> time travel's kind of a thing in the greater Marvel canon, and B> you'd need Pym tech to pull it off the way they used it, and that's not exactly available at your local Best Buy.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Never really been able to get into Khan due to disliking the art style but even with just what I've seen of her from events and champions Kinda disappointed they changed her powers to just be hard light construct esc stuff.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

There are always people that complain about the new "woke" characters. When Kamala was introduced it was the usual
    As I said, there's always somewhere on the internet that you can find someone complaining. No reason to find that guy and focus on that argument though, in general. It's like when my newsfeed pops up a story about what some random person on Twitter said to someone I've never heard of that was really mean.

It's not like Thanos' attack would have gone unnoticed. It's not like the Avengers compound was hidden away on some secluded island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean...it was in Upstate New York. There's probably civilian footage of a lot if it. Just like there were bootleg videos of the Battle of New York.
    I'm sure people all saw Thanos attack New York, and also sure there was plenty of news that the battle moved to Wakanda. Then half the people dusted.

Also pretty sure the government had surveillance on the Avengers and Strange and Wakanda and had a lot more detail than that, but they would most likely not have been providing any of the details they had beyond "aliens did it".

And yeah, I imagine the Avengers did do press releases, interviews, and senate hearings and all kinds of shit. People would have questions about how all those people that vanished off the face of the Earth suddenly returned 5 years later. About how Tony Stark died. About Captain America disappearing. About a whole lot of things. The Avengers are the only people that would have answers to those questions.
    I mean, to be fair, Captain America Rogers was a wanted criminal along with some others. Sure the government may not have been actively chasing him, but public perception wise he was probably not getting a lot of interviews. Then suddenly the aliens were invading again and the people undusted. I'm sure the government would make IronMan the hero of the effort without providing real details about any of it other than "aliens did it, but Ironman beat them this time".
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Ms Marvel has always been a character I been very neutral about, she has her audience and that's all fine and I like when she is featured in crossovers in the comics, but I'll be honest this trailer is horrid. It looks like cheap 90's straight to TV movie in the effects department,. and I know its a TV series but a company such as Disney I expected a bit more out for this. Maybe its just bad marketing, but this trailer doesn't do much for me.
    Im hopeful the show is better then what been shown here as I felt like I was looking at a CW teen drama trailer rather then a MCU show.

Those quantum bands used to do a lot more:

And that's not going into what the newer version of Quasar can do:

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    As I said, there's always somewhere on the internet that you can find someone complaining. No reason to find that guy and focus on that argument though, in general. It's like when my newsfeed pops up a story about what some random person on Twitter said to someone I've never heard of that was really mean.
    I'm not focusing on them... I'm just saying they are out there. I don't bother going to look for them...because they reveal themselves quick enough.

I'm sure people all saw Thanos attack New York, and also sure there was plenty of news that the battle moved to Wakanda. Then half the people dusted.

Also pretty sure the government had surveillance on the Avengers and Strange and Wakanda and had a lot more detail than that, but they would most likely not have been providing any of the details they had beyond "aliens did it".
    I don't think "Aliens did it" would have sufficed. Steve Rogers wouldn't allow that to happen. Cap's really got a thing about Government Transperency. If the Government wasn't releasing the details...the Avengers would.

I mean, to be fair, Captain America Rogers was a wanted criminal along with some others. Sure the government may not have been actively chasing him, but public perception wise he was probably not getting a lot of interviews. Then suddenly the aliens were invading again and the people undusted. I'm sure the government would make IronMan the hero of the effort without providing real details about any of it other than "aliens did it, but Ironman beat them this time".
    Before Infinity War Cap was a Wanted Criminal. After Infinity War...I don't think anyone really cared about the Sokovia Accords anymore. You'll note that in Endgame.. Cap isn't in prison and he isn't in hiding... he's running a support group. And, even if he were still a "wanted criminal"... you think that's going to keep him from saying what needs to be said? There's not a journalist on Earth that wouldn't take Captain America's call...fugitive or not. And public perception of Steve Rogers seems to still be pretty high... they made a broadway musical about him. There's no Tony Stark musical.

I'm definitely going to watch it, but I was a little bit disappointed by the first look. It's just a trailer, but the trailer feels a lot too 'middle of the road Marvel' without any identity separate identity. It's kind of something that's been becoming more and more of a problem where marvel films are getting more formulaic. I hope it'll be more off beat.

10+ Year Old Account
    This honestly makes me super excited for the series.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama