Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You think so? I wasn't convinced by his acting. Maybe it's hard to tell what's on the director and what's on the actor, but I didn't feel he did a particularly good job with this role.
    I felt like he really REALLY tried, but also like he belonged in a different movie, because everyone else was having fun with fulling around and treating the movie like a comedy, while Bale was going full out of drama and tragedy. which ALSO, IMO did not help at all with all the again IMO jarring tonal shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    I felt like he really REALLY tried, but also like he belonged in a different movie, because everyone else was having fun with fulling around and treating the movie like a comedy, while Bale was going full out of drama and tragedy. which ALSO, IMO did not help at all with all the again IMO jarring tonal shifts.
    Maybe that's the problem, yeah. But this could also be the director/writer at fault - don't put a serious role like that in a comedy, I guess? Not that every villain has to be goofy, but it worked a lot better with, say, Hela in Ragnarok - despite her being arguably the weakest part of the story.

Except for Spider-Man, everything post endgame has been absolute dumpster fire by the MCU.
    Daredevil is the best TV Marvel has produced by far. Now instead of being excited seeing him with a Hulk character, its a question how much the She-Hulk show will ruin the character. It's sad, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Eternity being made into just some wish-granting entity
    I felt the same way.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    We know these will be part of Thunderbolts:
    Bucky
    Ghost
    Red Guardian
    Black Widow (Yelena)
    John Walker
    Taskmaster
    Contessa Val
    does Valentina Allegra de Fontaine have any powers? I don't think we've seen any in the very limited screen time she's had, but given how she carries herself I wouldn't be surprised if she was a former SHIELD agent or someone who was (maybe still is) on par with Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    Yeah I get that. Gorr doesn't feel like he belongs in this garbage movie. He's a tragic character surrounded by everyone else acting like clowns.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    does Valentina Allegra de Fontaine have any powers? I don't think we've seen any in the very limited screen time she's had, but given how she carries herself I wouldn't be surprised if she was a former SHIELD agent or someone who was (maybe still is) on par with Black Widow
    Her power is being high up on the chain of bureaucracy

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I watched the movie a few days ago, and have been trying to put my finger on what felt so off about it. I think this might actually be it.

I enjoy Thor comedy, I still think Ragnarok is my fave MCU movie to date, but something like Gorr needed a more serious tone which just didn't gel well with the abundance of joviality of everything else.

The movie literally starts off with 2 people starving and slowly burning alive, with one of them finally dying, and the remaining man finally discovering the gods that have ignored his pleas. He gets the Necrosword and supposedly goes on a rampage of killing gods across the universe. None of which we really ever see after the first one, just some corpses. Jane's cancer story is treated much more seriously, but even that gets overshadowed a bit.

Otherwise, the movie had some nice shots. I specifically liked the "tree" made when giving power to the kids. Other things felt a bit wasted like Eternity being made into just some wish-granting entity, and they actually destroyed the bloody Necrosword!

Personally, I think I'd have given this movie more time and split it into two.
    I like Thor comedy a lot. I have no idea what people are thinking talking about how grimdark Thor in the second movie was great. I do feel like there was just too much going on for the film's length that everything was like, speedrun through. I think Thor and Chris Hemsworth make a great comedy anchor for the major players in the MCU, but Thor 4 could've taken its time with stuff a little more. And yeah, maybe a movie about the god butcher and another movie about dealing with Jane's cancer would've made for a better pair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I like Thor comedy a lot. I have no idea what people are thinking talking about how grimdark Thor in the second movie was great. I do feel like there was just too much going on for the film's length that everything was like, speedrun through. I think Thor and Chris Hemsworth make a great comedy anchor for the major players in the MCU, but Thor 4 could've taken its time with stuff a little more. And yeah, maybe a movie about the god butcher and another movie about dealing with Jane's cancer would've made for a better pair.
    For me, I keep waiting for something to happen to bring Thor back to being who he originally was. A more stoic, confident, leader. Each time we see him, he is more and more silly. In my eyes, the charm is wearing off.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Yeah I get that. Gorr doesn't feel like he belongs in this garbage movie. He's a tragic character surrounded by everyone else acting like clowns.
    A new, less self-aware version of Abbott and Costello meet Dracula/Frankenstein/et cetera.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Imo it would make sense for Thor's humor to mature a bit. After all he's been through a lot and the boyishness should be getting old.
    Or he can stay in Beavis and Butthead land and we know how well that's going.

so I finally got around to watching Ms Marvel. I have never in my life related to a character more. there are cultural slight time period differences but in general... that was me in high school. its almost painful to watch but also sweet. and editing is adorable.

10+ Year Old Account
    anyone know if the Marvel Legends comics are any good? I heard they are based in the early 90's era X-Men and is a new continuity running series. It came out in 2021 and I recently just got the first TPB, I wasnt even aware this was a thing. But its very singled focused on X-Men and is pretty good for those that feel X-Men have lost their way over the years and wanna get hit up on that nostalgia.

It just makes me wish there was a series based off of the 90's X-Men that was a continuous run
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-09-27 at 08:21 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Hugh looks to be back as Wolverine for Deadpool 3. That's pretty cool.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post

Hugh looks to be back as Wolverine for Deadpool 3. That's pretty cool.
    I like that one, "sure Ryan"

10+ Year Old Account
    This is up there with the biggest moments of the MCU. For Deadpool's first MCU outing, to bring back Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, after he had beautifully and emotionally hung up his adamantite claws with Logan cannot be understated.

This is bigger than Tobey coming back in Far From Home. Before the MCU and even before Tobey beat Randy Savage in a cage match, Hugh had already been Wolverine, and played him in so many movies, good and bad.

That we're getting one last bonus run is huge.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    This is up there with the biggest moments of the MCU. For Deadpool's first MCU outing, to bring back Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, after he had beautifully and emotionally hung up his adamantite claws with Logan cannot be understated.

This is bigger than Tobey coming back in Far From Home. Before the MCU and even before Tobey beat Randy Savage in a cage match, Hugh had already been Wolverine, and played him in so many movies, good and bad.

That we're getting one last bonus run is huge.
    It is a big moment but i cannot say it beats Tobey coming back as spider. Hugh coming back was certain especially after Xavier coming back too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    It is a big moment but i cannot say it beats Tobey coming back as spider. Hugh coming back was certain especially after Xavier coming back too.
    I don't think it was all that certain. Hugh has been clear that Logan was his swansong and has said before how he had no interest in the MCU, unlike Patrick Stewart who said he'd play the Professor again if the circumstances were right.

Plus Tobey was Spiderman three times. Hugh played Wolverine on nine different occasions, not counting reused footage in Deadpool 2. Nine times playing the same role is so rarely done, Stallone was Rocky eight times, the Harry Potter cast only did eight movies. Nimoy played Spock eight times.

Hugh's already on nine and about to go for 10, which puts him equal with Christopher Lee as Dracula, and Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury (though half of those are cameos, not leads) It's far bigger than Tobey in that respect.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it was all that certain. Hugh has been clear that Logan was his swansong and has said before how he had no interest in the MCU, unlike Patrick Stewart who said he'd play the Professor again if the circumstances were right.
    I'm 100% certain that the only reason Jackman even considered this was because Reynolds was the one asking. If it was Feige, it'd have been a "nah".

7+ Year Old Account

Plus Tobey was Spiderman three times. Hugh played Wolverine on nine different occasions, not counting reused footage in Deadpool 2. Nine times playing the same role is so rarely done, Stallone was Rocky eight times, the Harry Potter cast only did eight movies. Nimoy played Spock eight times.

Hugh's already on nine and about to go for 10, which puts him equal with Christopher Lee as Dracula, and Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury (though half of those are cameos, not leads) It's far bigger than Tobey in that respect.
    Its precisely because he appeared so much -and his returning was always on the table - that his returning is not so much of an impact compared with Tobey

Sure, he said he would not go back, but they always said that

10+ Year Old Account
    The door seemed closed though when he killed his character off at the end of Logan. It was the final chapter and done and dusted. Tobey never had an ending as such. Nothing about Spiderman 3 suggested there couldn't have been a Spiderman 4 had they wanted to do another. As soon as NWH was announced, Tobey was expected, even if Feige refused to admit it.

The closure of Jackman in Logan would be akin to RDJ coming back as an AU Tony Stark. It's an actor and character that people had said their goodbye to and put to rest suddenly coming back.