Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SoO HC gear in WoD

Hi all,

Been playing since Vanilla, but stopped playing through Wrath and only came back to MoP a few months ago, so missed out the 2 transitions between the expansions. What I would like to get people's opinion on is how far do you think SoO HC gear will get you in WoD. I appreciate that we can only speculate at this point, but maybe people can offer some logical or likely scenarios.

I remember when TBC came out, BWL gear was being replaced VERY early on with TBC green, and the same again in Wrath, I had full BT and SWP epics, and replaced them with blues very early on. I am just curious with all the stats changes come up (and maybe even the item squish will play a part somehow), and another nearly 7-8 months of SoO, do you think it is worth running SoO for gear in the hope that it might give you an edge some WoD.

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would guess 95 or so, with the legendary cape to 97 or so, and the BoA weapon off Garrosh all the way till heroic dungeons at 100.

15+ Year Old Account
    Edge on what? Leveling? Who cares. There are no realm firsts for leveling and raiding is being held back 2 weeks. Take your time. Get what gear you can now, but by the time you actually step in a raid, anything you have now will be gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't know yet how far we will go with our current gear into WoD but I remember someone addressing this issue and a dev said they are definately looking into it. Also with stuff like heirloom items from Garrosh for our leveling progress in WoD, I'm quite sure it's now or never to be benefitical to have good gear when WoD launches, I doubt they will get replaced in the first few levels.

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    I would guess 95 or so, with the legendary cape to 97 or so, and the BoA weapon off Garrosh all the way till heroic dungeons at 100.
    BoA weapon that drops from Garrosh isn't any higher than other Heroic gear. So either they'll all be kept until level 100 (I doubt that's the case), or none of them are. Cloak however, is probably one that will be used in normal dungeons, probably not for long in heroic dungeons. That's just my guess anyway.

Probably going to rotate out within the first 3 or 4 levels. I'd be surprised if anyone's using any of it come 100 dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Seditian View Post
    BoA weapon that drops from Garrosh isn't any higher than other Heroic gear.
    The Garrosh BOAs scale with you as you level like an heirloom. That's the whole point of them. If you get a boa from Garrosh you'll use it til 100. Everything else will be replaced while leveling.

Deleted
    I think they will put green stuff to ~528-540 for level 91, 600 for level 100 (still green) and that blue stuff (normal) will be like 620 and heroic/lfr 632 (as they always make ilvls steps 12 to 13)

- - - Updated - - -

I think that garrosh weapons will have normal blue ilvl for lvl 100, just like the BOA archeo's items of mop (but they were 463 for some)

It will help you when you start leveling, but there aren't any Realm First achievements for leveling in WoD, so it's no big deal.

You can have a fresh 90 and you'd probably only 'struggle' the first level.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Edge on what? Leveling? Who cares. There are no realm firsts for leveling and raiding is being held back 2 weeks. Take your time. Get what gear you can now, but by the time you actually step in a raid, anything you have now will be gone.
    Completely aware that are no more 'first achievements', I meant edge in leveling.

I also remember reading somewhere, as someone else pointed out, that Blizz want to address this issue of the BiS gear not going very far in the next expansion.

My main reason for asking this question is to do with motivation. For some people, just killing Garrosh on normal (or even flex), will be enough for them to say they are 'done' with MoP (I say some, I can appreciate others will want to strive, for normal and HCs etc), and given that WoD will probably be out in Q4, just wondering if people still had the motivation for SoO HC.

I'm quite sure it's now or never to be benefitical to have good gear when WoD launches
    Last edited by lyngyanshao; 2014-03-13 at 06:20 AM.

We definitely will get a full set of wod starter green during the 45 minute starter event of the expansion, so no worries on the gear =)

In the last couple of expansions I have managed to get to max level while only replacing around half my gear through questing/dungeon quest blues. Partly due to being lazy and not running dungeons more than once for better gear, but mainly because the time it takes to upgrade them substancially through things like this and crafting is either very expensive or wastes more time than it's worth.

SoO Hc gear will give you a nice little edge for the first 2-3 levels, but past that it'll plateau out to being pretty much equal or inferior to the greens that are available from quests as you progress. But with everything being super crowded for the first couple of days of release you're more likely to be held back by not being able to tag mobs fast enough, not your gear.

SoO Heroic gear will probably last till 95-97 and maybe a few till 98-99.
    Cloaks probably the same (I'm gonna assume their proc gets worse the high you level up)
    If they don't get worse well then probably till 100
    Garrosh BoA will be till 100 and replaced depending which one you got most likely.
    Flex one probably with a lvl 100 normal dungeon
    Normal one with a heroic dungeon
    Heroic one will probably be on par with heroic dungeon weapons and replaced in normal raids

My guess anyways.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noima View Post
    In the last couple of expansions I have managed to get to max level while only replacing around half my gear through questing/dungeon quest blues. Partly due to being lazy and not running dungeons more than once for better gear, but mainly because the time it takes to upgrade them substancially through things like this and crafting is either very expensive or wastes more time than it's worth.

SoO Hc gear will give you a nice little edge for the first 2-3 levels, but past that it'll plateau out to being pretty much equal or inferior to the greens that are available from quests as you progress. But with everything being super crowded for the first couple of days of release you're more likely to be held back by not being able to tag mobs fast enough, not your gear.
    Not specifically aimed at you. Don't forget that we're getting 10 levels instead of 5 so the usual 2-3 levels before green items become the same ilvl as our heroic pieces will probably be more around 6-7 levels. That being said even those items aren't necessarily worth it (not that I'm up to date with what will happen to excisting sockets). But since we'll have a week to gear up before the first raids will be open we'll have plenty of time to fully gear up before that. (not like cataclysm for instance where I did my first raid still wearing more ICC gear than cata gear). Most heroic end-game gear for the past 2 expansions has been worth using over any quest items obtained save for a few long chain-quest-rewards or maybe high lvl dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Renx View Post
    SoO Heroic gear will probably last till 95-97 and maybe a few till 98-99.
    Cloaks probably the same (I'm gonna assume their proc gets worse the high you level up)
    If they don't get worse well then probably till 100
    Garrosh BoA will be till 100 and replaced depending which one you got most likely.
    Flex one probably with a lvl 100 normal dungeon
    Normal one with a heroic dungeon
    Heroic one will probably be on par with heroic dungeon weapons and replaced in normal raids

My guess anyways.
    I replaced most of my Heroic DS gear in Kun-Lai. Some before because I like the itemization better. If there was a green in Jade forest with better itemization I would have replaced it then. I have no attachment to my gear its just a means to an end and nothing more. I also have deleted my legendaries once they were of no use to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain View Post
    I replaced most of my Heroic DS gear in Kun-Lai. Some before because I like the itemization better. If there was a green in Jade forest with better itemization I would have replaced it then. I have no attachment to my gear its just a means to an end and nothing more. I also have deleted my legendaries once they were of no use to me.
    That might bite you in the ass later.

That might bite you in the ass later.
    How so? For transmog purposes the only ones I liked were the Warglaives but I did not have them. They will not make them scale so I cannot see a reason to have them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain View Post
    How so? For transmog purposes the only ones I liked were the Warglaives but I did not have them. They will not make them scale so I cannot see a reason to have them.
    I guess so, but with how they are talking about Garrisons you might be able to set up armors or weapons to display for others to see. If you earned several legendaries I would think it would be nice to have them on armor dolls or mounted on a wall. But if you didn't like how they looked and don't feel any accomplishment for getting them, that's a personal preference thing I guess.

I guess so, but with how they are talking about Garrisons you might be able to set up armors or weapons to display for others to see. If you earned several legendaries I would think it would be nice to have them on armor dolls or mounted on a wall. But if you didn't like how they looked and don't feel any accomplishment for getting them, that's a personal preference thing I guess.
    I was very proud when I got my Sulfuras, Val'anyr, Fangs(especially these), and my cape. However, they are just gear to help me progress, and when they become usless, like the rest of the gear it gets DEd or vendored. As for Garrisons, unless they are mandatory, I will not take part in them. I have Achievements and FoS that tell my tales for me. I do not need to play house and disply them. I have never been one for housing, I understand many people love it, it is just not my cup of tea.