Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

D3 Reaper Of Souls = Causing WoD to be pushed back

When D3 was released a lot of WoW players switched over to D3 while they waited for the next WoW expac.

Activision/blizzard therefore has to space out the release of their games so as not to over-saturate the market and cause players to choose to play one game over another.

By announcing that WoD is scheduled for a Fall release they have:

1) Increased the marketability of RoS since players will more enticed to switch over to a game with newer content, and
    2) Increased the hype and demand for WoD so that it sells more copies when it is finally released.

So RoS will not be a failure... desperate WoW fans whose spirit has been crushed by another xpac that takes 2 years to come out will flock to D3. It does not take 2 years to make a WoW expac whose only real feature is a new continent, 10 levels and garrisons (the only features that have to be finished for the game to be released).

I plan on switching to D3 while I wait for WoD but that also means Blizz will still lose my sub in the mean time.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you actually think this then you don't know how companies work... once a product is finished the company loses money every single day until it goes on sale so if you think they are going to sit on it for 5 MONTHS to boost the sales of a game(which btw, a game sells about 80% of its copies in the first month after release) then you are delusional. also this expac has everything any other xpac has had besides a class or race which doesn't take as much time as a raid.. at least not a large one.
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

With how crappy D3 is in the general gaming world, I highly doubt that. People HATED D3. To think that it is going to save blizzard and make them tons of money is just wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brunnor View Post
    With how crappy D3 is in the general gaming world, I highly doubt that. People HATED D3. To think that it is going to save blizzard and make them tons of money is just wrong.
    I highly doubt it is hated as you portray. considering how positive RoS and Loot 2.0 I'd say you're just BSing.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

1. Lol
    2. Lol
    3. Lol

D3 had its issues at launch but if you're honestly that close minded, then I add another "Lol" to the three I already had listed.

The game is the equivalent, or a close equivalent, to Diablo 2 at this point. Give 2.0 a try. Coming from someone who Beta tested the expansion, it's a game changer.

Think or do research before you post, please. I understand D3 had a soured reception at launch but if you look anywhere aside from this website, people are very happy with the game currently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I highly doubt it is hated as you portray. considering how positive RoS and Loot 2.0 I'd say you're just BSing.
    You are actually 110% correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't like games like diablo, so they aren't getting anything from me for it. And in the meantime my sub is lapsing for WoW and I'm not sure when I will resub.

D3 (after 2.0) has been a phenomenal game. However, I think the potential money they can make (or lose) from Warcraft far outweighs D3. So, chances are not likely.

As I said many times before in many D3 threads.

No company release's two AAA titles next to each other because one will overshadow the other. There will be at lease a 3 month window between RoS and WoD.

That would be like Rockstar releasing GTAV right next to Red Dead 2.

Any sub cancels "I'm sure it won't be in the millions" will be made back by selling RoS. D3 has sold over 12 million copys. If RoS sells half they will make up most of the loss in a 3 month timeframe.

6 Million X $40 = 240 Million. "of course it will be a bit less due to what they got to give stores but you get the point"

They will make up the sub loss for a couple months and some profit.

"Be warned rought math atm because I'm tired"
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-03-20 at 04:33 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    As I said many times before in many D3 threads.

No company release's two AAA titles next to each other because one will overshadow the other. There will be at lease a 3 month window between RoS and WoD.

That would be like Rockstar releasing GTAV right next to Red Dead 2.

Any sub cancels "I'm sure it won't be in the millions" will be made back by selling RoS. D3 has sold over 12 million copys. If RoS sells half they will make up most of the loss in a 3 month timeframe.

6 Million X $40 = 240 Million.
    Of course, but who really expected WoD launch before 25th of may?
    Note: expected =/= wanted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Why is it that every expansion people come up with crazy bullshit conspiracy theories about Blizzard deliberately holding back the release date?

Is it really so hard to understand that expansions take a lot of time to make? Even Blizzard can't control exactly when it's done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    They've had a release date for RoS since before Blizzcon so I highly doubt it's why Blizzard delayed WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    The premise of the entire thread seems very unlikely.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I was incredibly disappointed with Diablo 3 after beating the main story on a Monk (still my favorite class) and I think picking Crusader and not Druid (or some Hybrid of multiple classes like Monk is) was a big mistake. That said, I'm absolutely loving D3 2.0. I don't know exactly how to explain it but it feels like Diablo 2. Skip the cutscenes and spacebar through the conversations and it feels like a decent game.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Diablo 3 isn't WoW..... the creators have nothing to do with WoW. So why would diablo 3 expansion release have ANYTHING to do with a WoWs expansion release?

We all know who is behind this delay..... HEARTHSTONE!!!!!! They took all of development time from WoD that's why we have to wait a year. Lets not forget Heros of the Storm you can tell just by looking at it they are wasting so much wow development time on some crappy hashed up dota. But the real problem is Starcraft how dare they do constant tweaking to keep it balanced it drains so much resources and i hear they are making a 3rd expansion right now!! How dare they use different people and teams for other games besides wow!!!!

WoWs engine is old and fragile, creating new models/effects/poly count isn't an easy feat. Small change can break the game so creating content takes far longer then it does for newer MMO engines. Blizzard has even stated they had no idea World of Warcraft would do as good as it has and it was a first time MMO for everyone at blizzard using a book that was already pretty bad to begin with.

Hated. As in past-tense. Loot 2.0 and new features in RoS are bringing a ton of people back.

No, people obsessed with Diablo 2 who are stuck in the past hated Diablo 3. Most people liked it.

Patch 2.0.1 fixed tons of the major issues D3 had at launch. The improvement of loot across the board, retuning of monster mechanics/boss fights, and re design of the difficulty systems have breathed much needed life back into the game. They just shut down the AH yesterday, and now the game is every bit the Diablo 3 people have asked for since launch. Blizzard did most of what the fans suggested and now we have a game that we wanted.

I wouldn't be surprised if RoS sells 5 million copies (just on PC).

When D3 was released a lot of WoW players switched over to D3 while they waited for the next WoW expac.

Activision/blizzard therefore has to space out the release of their games so as not to over-saturate the market and cause players to choose to play one game over another.
    I don't think their gaming releases have much to do with what people are choosing to play. RoS is coming out because it's ready and D3 players want new content to play (especially now that 2.0.1 is here). WoD is coming out 3rd or 4th quarter because it involves massive changes to many game systems to account for problems that have crept along for several years, some of which are so big now they have to be addressed before Blizzard loses a major chunk of the remaining player base.

I for one will be playing both Wow and D3 in the coming months (as well as Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm when it comes out). The only game I haven't much interest in is Starcraft 2. I didn't buy the expansion and I doubt I will. I'm not much of a fan of RTS or Moba type games (I'm only going to try Heroes of the Storm because it's something new, I have no plans on playing it long term).

I partially agree with the OP. The reason they give a fall release date is because it should be much later D3 expansion because first game stole players from WoW so this will as well. But they aren't holding back a finished product. It just sets their timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Coming from someone who Beta tested the expansion, it's a game changer.
    coming from someone who HATED D3 at launch and who recently came back from Loot 2.0 and _enjoying_ it, I'd actually be interested to hear what actually makes the expansion a game changer?

Can't be just loot, right? It's good and all, and makes us all pee our pants comparing now to the rubbish "Jay Wilson in power" times, but what's a game changer?

Would love to hear beta tester's rundown.