Thread: I don't know...

I don't know...

...but I kinda feel like versatility was kinda crippled with talent "specializations".
    I mean, specially in case of druid and dk, where druid feral even in cata could utilize 2 forms depending on situation- wheres now 1 form is just for one spec and switching to the other is just in case you need to use that one specific cd and thats about it, its kinda killing point of being a druid and having these forms, specially with WoD cuttind down "unneded" skills so we won't probably even see any skills besides few random cds in "inappropriate" form. In DK's case being able to perform as dps and tank in all 3 specs was cool too, 2 specs even allowed to DW which is going to be frost only (in reality it was so and still is sience cata).

There are some positive things about specializations which probably vastly outweight these "minuses" (well for some, for others it might not even be the case) byt yeah, wish i could have my old druid/dk gameplay back.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't working out, so they changed it.

The Druid feral spec allowing both a tank and a dps on switch was simply not working out.

Why?

1.maintaining a stat system that appealed to both. A bear's stat calculator turning them into tank boosting stats and the same stats turning a cat into a viable dps. Sounds nice but has complications.

A) Complicating any class-related changes. Maintaining and dealing with this for balancing the class or maintaining it as the expansion goes on, keeping leather gear viable for it and the classes that compete for it, balancing all the classes together. new abilities, changes to new abilities, changes to stat weights and etc. Dealing with ferals took up more time to make sure they were not too boosted or too weak. This also limits what helpful changes can be made for druids incase it boosts or weakens the other spec.

B) Having a specialization that is simultaneous duel role (with a choice for spells and healing), especially since the dps one is a stealther. Something of an issue in PVP, especially with the intended changes they had for Tanks, dps and healing from that point forward, would have seriously either complicated dealing with druids or held back the entire system for druids.

C) Not having the melee dps and tank role dependant on each other, they're core foundation can be better adapted and diverge from each other. They're independent and any change to one to help it won't affect the other.

A sort of similar thing happened with the DK's. Having all 3 specs tanking/dps viable with a change in gear, while really nice, was ass to manage and hurting the system as a whole in terms of what changes could be made.