Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    these are side objectives, they don't need text. They're part of the greater series of events going on, outside but not separate from the central storyline.

Isn't this part of that system they mentioned before (a continuance and refinement of the timeless isle system) where we "encounter" situations and objectives?
    Exactly this not to mention the fact this is part of the changes coming that will go hand in hand with no flight in Draenor but these people don't want to hear it or even put any actual thought into why Blizzard is doing the things they are doing.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    So in order to make the world more immersive and feel more alive, they're gutting out side quest story to a simple go get 10 of these. Seems like a good idea and not contradictory at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandapuncher View Post
    Because why? no one has given anything that has made me agree with them yet. What is quest text hurting? no one. what is removing it hurting? Those who like immersion
    It's not possible to make you agree, you're just being intentionally ignorant. You won't actually argue against what people say, you just deflect and change what we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    Exactly..... many quests are just sideline quests.. Sort of "Oh, while you are here can you go collect me some fir-cones from the trees over there?" Don't really need story text for that tbh. Knowing that the quests that have text are main story quests - and I may read more of them.
    If you can't tell the difference between a major lore character telling you to do something, over Joe-npc. You need your eyes checked. I don't need my hand held any more than it already is

Quote Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
    ok so the elitist minority that rushes through game without consuming lore content at all is in this tread so far. some of us, silent majority do like the fact that there is a written thing as well, especially on lore or immersive playthroughs. saying "kill 5 boars" is boring and no text at all on these side objectives is a rushed out lazy choice
    Less pointless quest text means more meaningful quest text which again is the ENTIRE point of this change which again you clearly seem to be missing.

I read the text of every quest I've done at least once. Even when they are stupid knowing why I'm killing 10 boars or collecting 5 stones etc. makes me feel inside the world. And honestly the only reason they would be removing something so easily skippable is that they really don't have the time write them. Well, yes, it won't matter for majority of players but it isn't a good sign that they are making cuts of most basic stuff. Makes you wonder what will be next.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Less pointless quest text means more meaningful quest text which again is the ENTIRE point of this change which again you clearly seem to be missing.
    No quest texts aren't meaningless. What's meaningless is so many side quests we have to do. And now the little meaning they have is removed. Seriously why don't they remove those side quests entirely anyway, make story quests give you more experience.
    Last edited by thoruga; 2014-04-15 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    It's not possible to make you agree, you're just being intentionally ignorant. You won't actually argue against what people say, you just deflect and change what we're talking about.
    Except no, I often will agree with people. But in this case, having quest text hurts no one. Removing it, pisses some people off. Your points are as bad as your debate skills

10+ Year Old Account
    Less irrelevant fluff text to write, more time to write actual story quests?
    I approve.

I don't need NPC excuses for fetching them 10 Wolf asses.

Just for th Record: I read EVERYTHING when it's a quest I've never done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Krommm View Post
    Not too big a deal, but will be a subtle difference in "immersion" even if the quests are largely irrelevant to the core story. (Yes, I read every quest even when they are poorly written. It's not hard or time consuming for anyone of slight intelligence)
    Who said it was hard or time consuming? It is just boring and serves no actual purpose to have quest text for literally everything in game. Again the point of this change is so they can focus on quest text that is actually relevant to the story at hand which will make immersion better not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    You're still talking to farmer joe, he just isn't giving you a nonsensical story. Again, as I stated earlier, there's no immersion in going from slaying demons that are invading to squashing pumpkins. That's negative progression, which isn't how stories work.
    MY character's name is Roahn, Roahn saw a farmer in distress after slaying a group of Sha in a city. The farmer wanted him for help. but somehow the farmer was mute, and Roahn figured out what he wanted because, reasons I guess

MY character's name is Roahn, Roahn saw a farmer in distress after slaying a group of Sha in a city. The farmer wanted him for help. And told my character why he couldn't do this himself, and agreed to give me 5 gold for my troubles. My character agrees and does this small quest for him.

I'll take the second scenario.

like i said, we can have ingame chat and notifications to replace the quest text for side objectives

Who said it was hard or time consuming? It is just boring and serves no actual purpose to have quest text for literally everything in game. Again the point of this change is so they can focus on quest text that is actually relevant to the story at hand which will make immersion better not worse.
    It's adorable that you think they will actually do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    like i said, we can have ingame chat and notifications to replace the quest text for side objectives
    In game chat would be fine, but... odd, because what's the difference between reading it in a window, or in a chat box.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    You see ladies, gentlemen. What we have here is a conundrum. On the one hand, it is unfortunate to have questing lore and side questing removed for the sake of a more streamlined questing experience, but on the other-hand you have the fact that some quests just honestly should not be quests. But on the third hand, maybe if Blizzard actually put effort into their writing and made enticing, engaging and above all interesting story archs, plots and character development, maybe questing as a whole could be much more enjoyable.
    Oh for gods sake...I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this but people seem hell bent on twisting this into something it isn't just to have something to whine about:

Now when there is quest text, you will know that it is really worth reading.
    They are doing this to improve questing not make it faster. Seriously give it a rest.

Oh for gods sake...I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this but people seem hell bent on twisting this into something it isn't just to have something to whine about:

They are doing this to improve questing not make it faster. Seriously give it a rest.
    the only similarity between improve and remove is that they rhyme.

If it were any other MMO making this decision? It'd be getting torn to shreds on this forum night & day.

Blizzard did it? Brilliant, revolutionary, the best thing since sliced bread x1000. No I mean 10,000 please don't ban me the 1000 was just a typo no disrespect

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess they laid off half the writing staff.

It's a bad attitude to have. I wonder how long before they deduce everything else is worthless and stop production. "Those color palettes just get in the way of the wire frames."

I will say this though, they are a lot smarter than the people who will pay for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skillslam View Post
    If it were any other MMO making this decision? It'd be getting torn to shreds on this forum night & day.

Blizzard did it? Brilliant, revolutionary, the best thing since sliced bread x1000. No I mean 10,000 please don't ban me the 1000 was just a typo no disrespect
    They could literally replace the entire game with a memorial website and many people would continue to pay subs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandapuncher View Post
    the only similarity between improve and remove is that they rhyme.

clearly you aren't on the talking points email list. everyone knows that 'in order to improve, you gotta remove.'
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    I guess they laid off half the writing staff.

It's a bad attitude to have. I wonder how long before they deduce everything else is worthless and stop production. "Those color palettes just get in the way of the wire frames."

I will say this though, they are a lot smarter than the people who will pay for this.
    the current team is just lucky that older blizzard's game is still a part of what they have. It will take a while before they ruin it all.

Blizzard, the richest MMO company, that can get away with giving less, and people thinking it's more. It's mind bottling. Like when your mind, is all in a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    /shakeshead

Amazing that people can defend this.

If the quest text is so boring that few read it ...

The solution is not to remove it! The solution is to fix it!!

Keep this up and all you will have is a barebones number game.

edit: To those of you saying it isn't relevant to the main story so fuck it, these are opportunity to fill out your "world", to add detail and improve immersion - yes, I used the "i" word. You tell parts of the story subtly "through" the environment, i.e. indirect story telling.

But whatever man, if you want it "barebones" and Blizzard wants to utterly fail at engaging new players ... OK, no skin off my back - it's not like the market isn't flooded with alternatives.
    They are fixing it? They are removing boring pointless quest text in favor of actual relevant quest text. It isn't rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    clearly you aren't on the talking points email list. everyone knows that 'in order to improve, you gotta remove.'
    those who arrive, survive