How to deal with RBG rating loss.

I wanted to push rating, and for the first time got my 1800 chieve. Yay. However, I wanted to climb higher still. A few losses (never more than 2 in a day) later, and I've dropped back down to 1750.

It really sucks dropping 60 points in 4 days when I'm trying to gain rating, but I'm not sure what I should have done differently. I stopped playing on losing streaks, I only did oQueues with voice and ratings requirements, and I played on different days.

Maybe 1810 was a fluke that I didn't deserve? Maybe bad luck the rest of the week with my groups?

Do you have any particular thoughts/perspective on how to do RBGs in a way that offers good downside protection?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna go ahead and say oqueue is the problem here. Maybe find a regular team?

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and say oqueue is the problem here. Maybe find a regular team?
    Very difficult to do this late into a season/expansion if you don't play a guardian druid/healer. If you play a melee spec then you are pretty much out of luck and will be stuck with random Oqueue groups.

Still though, in the 1800-1900 range, when playing teams with a similar MMR you should be gaining 15-20 points for a win and losing 10-15 for a loss, so you should end up with a net increase if you go .500. Eventually you may lose a few in a row, but those should be offset by several wins in a row as long as your wins don't come against lower ranked teams.

It's hard to get higher with oQueue groups. My guild was going to do RBGs this season and pushed to around 1750 first week then most quit for D3/PoE so I was left alone with a "high" conquest cap each week. I've kept using oQueue to get at least 3 wins each week for cap and sometimes you get in really good groups but they rarely want to keep pushing for higher ratings (2k+). I used oQueue for my alt too and got around 1.9k with no voice coms at all. After this rating people mostly use oQueue to find guardians/healers to their main team. Some people use it for more serious groups, but it tends to be filled with ragers and tryhards who ruin the atmosphere and cause group to disbands fast.

I wouldn't worry much about maintaining rating until your close to 2k. It's easy to find groups around 1600-1900 rating through oQueue. When you get 1900+ and want to play more seriously you should probably look at finding a spot in a regular team. Preferably as Alliance if you play on EU. I had plans to transfer to Alliance myself but I'm just going to take a break from WoW PvP for now because it's too hard to find people you enjoy playing with.

Playing in horrible random "yolo" rbg groups isn't going to get you where you want to go.

You have to find a dedicated group/guild that plays together often and has chemistry.

We have gotten many people to high warlord / grand marshal over the years. Because we all play together, love playing together, and know how to play together. You're not going to find this in a random shitty pug.

OK, so it sounds like there's a soft cap close to where I am if I don't do a regular group and instead slum it in oQueue. I can accept that. Made it back into the 1800s last night with an oQueue group, and now I'm scared to play any more for the week >.<

Thanks for the thoughts/insights, all.

I got 2000 this season using mostly oqueue to find players. It took me about 150 matches. This is the advice I can give you:

- up until 1600 you can play with no-voice teams, at 1600+ don't even bother unless they're using TS

- once you're around 1700-1800 be super picky, check people's armories so you can see their arena scores and make sure crappy players aren't on the team

- make friends, get the real IDs of good/useful players, put notes on their real IDs where you say what class they play, be friendly and helpful

- by the time you're 1800-1900 you should have plenty of friends of various classes who respect you as a good RBG player, you should be able to get into a decent guild that at least does alt runs

- don't play just for fun or for the sake of just playing, if you can't get a decent team going, play 2v2 or 3v3 instead, getting decent in arena is gonna do wonders for your RBG performance

Basically, it comes down to networking and not loosing heart if you get unlucky and lose rating. I'm in a pretty good horde guild now that plays at ~2100mmr, and we still get unlucky loosing streaks occasionally, it goes with the territory.