Looking to upgrade my computer.

I bought a new computer in August of 2012. So it hasn't really been long at all. Last spring I did remove the CPU from the motherboard, and I feel like I might have messed something up. I'm playing WILDSTAR now and the FPS drop is noticable when I run it at default. I overclocked it to 4.1 GHz and it keeps crashing every few hours or so but the FPS is good. So I feel like I messed my CPU up. I'm probably going to just change it out but not sure what and how to do it. Do I need to buy the same CPU? Do I need a new motherboard? Kind of confused on that issue. Here is my setup.

i5 3570K
    P8Z77-V LK
    8GB Memory
    Radeon HD 7870

Anything I should do about this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess my first question is... why did you remove the CPU? Did you clean it, and the heatsink, and apply new thermal paste?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Clean the CPU of the old thermal compound, get some new stuff (Arctic's silver compounds or Noctua's NH-T1(?)) and follow the easily available instructions for applying the compound and seating the heatsink.

I don't overclock at all, because I just don't really care, but if it crashes, even after a few hours, doesn't it mean that the OC is unstable?

I highly doubt you messed your CPU up, unless you reverted it back to default and it's still crashing.

Anyway, if you're going to buy a new CPU, you need to buy one that matches the socket on your mobo, which is LGA 1155. Others have already talked about cleaning, so I won't bother going into that, but also consider buying a new heatsink, if you're using the intel stock one.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I guess my first question is... why did you remove the CPU? Did you clean it, and the heatsink, and apply new thermal paste?
    I was cleaning the inside of my computer to remove dust. I did not apply new thermal paste and it was dry when I removed it. I am also using the heatsink that comes with the CPU. Any idea if that could be the issue? I don't have heat issues. I was running a temperature program and it was at like 65-70 degrees celcius while at 4.5 GHz. Not sure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LancerLOL View Post
    I was cleaning the inside of my computer to remove dust. I did not apply new thermal paste and it was dry when I removed it. I am also using the heatsink that comes with the CPU. Any idea if that could be the issue? I don't have heat issues. I was running a temperature program and it was at like 65-70 degrees celcius while at 4.5 GHz. Not sure.
    You should refresh your compound after cleaning. Literally each time you remove the heatsink - clean the CPU and refresh.