View Poll Results: How much of the world do you think is still left undiscovered?

Voters
80. This poll is closed
  • 90% (we've only scratched the surface)

18 22.50%
  • 75% (there still so much more, we got a long ways to go)

14 17.50%
  • 50% (we've seen a lot, but there still equally more to see)

13 16.25%
  • 25% (there's probably still something big out there)

12 15.00%
  • 10% (Most of what's out there, we know now)

23 28.75%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    My point being, sure we have some small discoveries to make. But it´s not like there is some mystery part of the ocean hiding Kaiju
    No.

But Kraken, maybe!

Definitely some weird looking fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    That didn't clarify either point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    The rock of Gibraltar is in Europe though.....
    The whole point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Less then 10% cause satellite maps of everything, even the sea floor

Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    I think there's lots of space and area left undiscovered, but is it relevant? No. sure 95% of the oceans are unexplored, but what's there? Just more water.
    And you know, the majority of the planet's biomass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    Less then 10% cause satellite maps of everything, even the sea floor
    But that just shows you the overall terrain. Is that explored?

I mean we have satellite maps of Mars...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    The whole point.
    Seems like a better analogy would be going to St. Helena and saying you have seen the whole ocean. As far as areas on land that are unexplored, large chunks of places like the Amazon rain forest and New Gueinea are unexplored, in fact there was a research team who went to a northern part of Australia recently and found a new large gecko species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    might be unbelievable stuff at the bottom of the ocean, unbelievable diversity to go with it, at deep deep depths ? probably not.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people need to understand that the sea floor is not 'imaged' by satellites. There are images created based off data, sonic, geologic, etc.. But they dont take pictures like they do of land masses. The images you see on google maps or whatever, are not photographs, but rather mapping recreations.

There are some places where the bottom can be seen, but usually just off shore.

Most of the ocean hasn't been explored at all, and we're finding new, weird stuff every day. Including deeper trenches, and stranger life.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

One thing that we haven't even touched the surface on is buried cities. So no, we have millions upon millions of years worth of our origin left to discover.

Gobekli Tepe - 12,000 year old sanctuary / settlement:

Pompeii 1,900 year old city dug up 150 years ago:

Think about this stuff, that carving in stone. That was done by someone 12,000 years ago. We have no clue who these people were, what they did, why they all died, etc. It's really interesting stuff.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    inb4 we send robots to explore the deep oceans and they find Atlantis, which is full of aliens of course. The aliens show hospitality to them but notice that robots cannot express feelings. They see that they are programmed to be a tool we use, so the only right thing to do is to reprogram the robots and give them true intelligence. Then the robots returns to the surface and annihilates the human race, the end.

15+ Year Old Account

There's lots of things not yet explored under your feet. D:

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

10+ Year Old Account
    depends on your definition of 'discovered'
    and your definition of 'the world'

the world itself, excluding Life, we've close to completely discovered, imaging radars for caves/deep sea floors, terrain mapping etc.

but as soon as you throw life into it, it's a whole new story, and we have a lot left, i'm still waiting on some silicon based lava worms, haven't been discovered since they don't like the low pressure area's where lava's venting out etc... lol (joking mostly)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much of the world do you think is still left undiscovered?
    Given satellite technology... if we're just talking about places then much of the geography of the oceans. Land, not so much.

If we're talking creatures and critters of all kinds, probably quite a few.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    The ocean covers 71 percent of the Earth's surface and contains 97 percent of the planet's water, yet more than 95 percent of the underwater world remains unexplored. Snipped from NOAA

I think we have much to discover/learn yet. Real interesting stuff to be found, I just think we lack the technology to discover it, or the money to develop technology to discover it. Then again, i'm just one random dude talking out of my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post

There's lots of things not yet explored under your feet. D:
    Now that's crazy, that's the video I was quoting when I talked about the Bacteria living some 3 miles under the surface! That's where I got it from! I love watching science videos like this in my free time!

Deleted
    There's an exact scientific answer to this question, and thus asking people their opinions on the matter is sort of moot. Although, I suppose it does give us a nice picture of how badly misinformed people are.

10+ Year Old Account
    90%+ because we quite literally have only scratched the surface. Even excluding the oceans because everyone talks about that, the deepest hole ever dug was really not that deep in comparison to the thickness of the crust and then there are layers even below that, and in digging that hole we discovered the temperature changed a lot faster than we initially thought so there is much that just digging into the crust further could tell us.

And then obviously we have the oceans most of which remains unexplored, and then the rain forests and deserts and basically any terrain that civilization doesn't exist in, I mean even the Australian Outback still had an aboriginal tribe living in it that had never seen civilization until I think it was the 80s, and there could still be more we don't know about.

10+ Year Old Account
    The oceans... The Mantle... Our own crust. Much is largely unexplored and unknown.

We haven't even found the Mole People yet.

Seriously, in regards to the surface on the planet not covered in water, we have a pretty good understanding of. In regards to the anything under the oceans and the vast majority of everything under just the very top of the crust is unexplored.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

As far as habitable land goes, we've discovered like 99% of it. As for the rest... Who gives a shit?
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Even if you just think about the depths of the ocean, we still have a lot to discover.