Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I really missed an awesome ending like they did in Wrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cata wasn't all bad but the garbage really adds up to make it a 'shit' expansion imo. I did like firelands, Tot4W and BWD.

But.. dragon soul was trash, green jesus made me hate thrall and fuck aggra and her goel bullshit.

Deathwing is seriously the worst written most uninspiring boss ever. Afaik no one gave a damn about him and his "LOLIMCRAZY" antics.

The bugs were HORRENDOUS at launch. Like, worse than any xpac I've experienced. I remember trying to do one bugged ass daily in TB for hours and waiting on GM responses just raging my dick off. This shit lasted for months btw. Firelands dailies were horrible.

I think the bad outweighs the good.

The only other thing I can remember liking about the xpac was sub rogue actually took skill to play in pve so that was interesting, and a few gimmick uses with 80% aoe resist or so in raids.

I like MoP even less, I can't even play the panda crap, I have subbed maybe 3 months out of this whole expansion. Enough to get 90 and do some pvp/lfr which sucked horribly. So I can personally say I like cata better.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2014-06-07 at 04:38 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Cata wasn't all bad but the garbage really adds up to make it a 'shit' expansion imo. I did like firelands, Tot4W and BWD.

But.. dragon soul was trash, green jesus made me hate thrall and fuck aggra and her goel bullshit.

Deathwing is seriously the worst written most uninspiring boss ever. Afaik no one gave a damn about him and his "LOLIMCRAZY" antics.

The bugs were HORRENDOUS at launch. Like, worse than any xpac I've experienced. I remember trying to do one bugged ass daily in TB for hours and waiting on GM responses just raging my dick off. This shit lasted for months btw. Firelands dailies were horrible.

I think the bad outweighs the good.

The only other thing I can remember liking about the xpac was sub rogue actually took skill to play in pve so that was interesting, and a few gimmick uses with 80% aoe resist or so in raids.

I like MoP even less, I can't even play the panda crap, I have subbed maybe 3 months out of this whole expansion. Enough to get 90 and do some pvp/lfr which sucked horribly. So I can personally say I like cata better.
    Talking about bugs, I despise that bug on Madness where you go from 1 side to the other and then you just fall into the water. It happened to me especially at the start of 4.3, after that not much anymore, but one of my guildies (who had a great ping, but sometimes lag spikes) had it all the fucking time and certain others occasionally as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cata had it's issues like every other expansion.

My biggest issue with it was the removal of all the class quest lines from classic, I feel they were iconic and to remove them was a massive mistake.

Though I have plenty of positive things to say about Cata, T11 was very enjoyable for me. Even Firelands was pretty damn enjoyable I only wish it had one or two more bosses, it's very clear it was designed around the abyssal maw being added. Other than the horrible Dragonsoul arc, and the Thrall arc I felt that the story for the expansion. (talking about all the redone zones because Cata was an expansion that was not just 80-85 content) was very good. Most of the class changes I feel made positive game changes, I to this day feel Holypower for Paladins and Focus for hunters were probably -the- best class changes made in the last two expansions.

I feel Cata's biggest let down is it damaged sacred memories by removing old content.

Dragonsoul killed it for me.

Deleted
    It had some pretty good content until the dragon soul patch, which was entirely worthless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I think it's mostly because of the main theme of the expansion, which is odd and doesn't fit in with the Warcraft universe. From battling fearsome demons, defeating the king of the damned and the Aspect of Death to cuddling with chubby panda bears :-)

inb4 'but hey taft, there was one silly side comic relief quest in Warcraft 3, this totally justifies building an entire expansion around it!'

NOOOOOOPE or should I say mope?

Wotlk > Bc > Vanilla > MoP > Cataclysm

If it hadn't been for Failclysm and Mists this game would still have 11 million + subscribers
    I'm pretty sure WoW was going to fall off it's ivory tower regardless of how much -you- personally enjoyed Cata or Mists. I can honestly say out of all the people I know who have quit wow over the almost ten years I've been playing the most common reason I see is real life. I can count on one hand the amount of people I personally know who quit wow because they disagreed with design choices in expansions. None of those people left during Cata or Mists. People really need to stop taking people raging on forums as the reason why subs are down, I can also tell you the reason why people who I know who have quit because of real life don't come back is they don't have the time to commit to this game.

I can say with pure confidence that wow would not be 11 mil+ even if Cata and Mists were the new hotness. Not saying Cata and Mists are fantastic no, I have some -huge- issues with them but to claim that if Cata and Mists never came out Wow would have 11 mil + is the most ignorant thing I think I've heard in a while.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2014-06-07 at 08:32 AM.

Deleted
    The problem is many players seem to be incapable of forming their own opinion and just spew out "omfg cata sucked ballz" when they probably didn't even play it, lol. Guys it's OK to like things, and look for the positives, you don't have to be negative nancies to "impress" your online buddies all the time, lol.

Anyway:

Cataclysm wasn't bad at all. PVP was fun, way better than it is now, even with the OP PvE trinkets / legendaries, it had a bit of flavour and wasn't heavily bloated with CC's and abilities / burst.

Dragon Soul also wasn't bad, so what if it reused some zones / models, the boss fights were enjoyable and it was really easy to pug which was great for alts. DS did last for too long though, but it's the same with ICC and SoO so can't really put that as just a Cataclysm negative.

Firelands and the first tier were fun raids. The new races and their starting zones were also fun.

It wasn't bad but it wasn't the best though.

The opening for Cata is horrible.
    Solo queue BG didn't work.
    I got kicked a lot by 4 man guildees in 5 man heroic.

Before you call me baddie, think.
    These 4 man guildees can easily find a good dps from their own guild or via trade.
    They intentional queue as 4 people, so they can kick people.

Blizzard agreed with me and put a penalty on 4 man group.

The 5man catch up dungeons are nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    The problem is many players seem to be incapable of forming their own opinion and just spew out "omfg cata sucked ballz" when they probably didn't even play it, lol. Guys it's OK to like things, and look for the positives, you don't have to be negative nancies to "impress" your online buddies all the time, lol.

Anyway:

Cataclysm wasn't bad at all. PVP was fun, way better than it is now, even with the OP PvE trinkets / legendaries, it had a bit of flavour and wasn't heavily bloated with CC's and abilities / burst.

Dragon Soul also wasn't bad, so what if it reused some zones / models, the boss fights were enjoyable and it was really easy to pug which was great for alts. DS did last for too long though, but it's the same with ICC and SoO so can't really put that as just a Cataclysm negative.

Firelands and the first tier were fun raids. The new races and their starting zones were also fun.

It wasn't bad but it wasn't the best though.
    I agree, reading most people's opinions on Cata feels like hearing middle school students talk politics.

Deleted
    An expansion that has the word "clysm" in it can't be good................

What bothered me about Cata was how much I quit caring about the lore. I'm a HUGE story person, and WotLK was the best thing since sliced bread (to me), even during the expansion itself. The one and only time I got tired of Wrath was those last couple of months until Cataclysm. By then, I was fully ICC-geared, I'd done every daily, every raid, every quest, et c, and I was ready for something new (I had done pure PvP in BC and wanted something different).

I must admit that when my cousin and brother first showed me the Cata trailer, I thought it was a well-done joke by someone. I didn't believe it until Blizzard started talking about it and releasing news about it. Nothing about it felt very... Warcrafty to me. When Cata came, however, I was happy for new content, but I think it could've been handled better.

Since we're all dragging MoP into question, I'll give Blizzard props for the attempt. Pandaren had always been a part of Warcraft, and I liked Chen. I like Monks and all that good stuff. My problem with MoP was exactly the same with Cata; it didn't feel very Warcraft-esqe to me and made me lose interest in the story Blizzard is trying to tell. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the theme, either, but I give them credit for creating some gorgeous zones.

TL;DR: I thought Wrath was the bee's knees during Wrath, and Cata had an excellent lead-up but fell short on delivery, story-wise. Many sad faces were made.
    Last edited by exou; 2014-06-07 at 08:54 AM. Reason: typos huehuehue
    "You are not a body; you do not have a soul. You have a body; you are a soul."
    ~C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I'm all nostalgic about Cata right now, so maybe its just me. I have the wierest urge to go run old cata dungeons, do Tol'barad, and do Moltenfront Daily quests. Rose Colored glasses maybe?
    Pretty much.

I have to admit the Molten Front dailies were pretty great and the dungeon length/content/variety was by far the best in any expansion.

But 4.3 was just so so SO bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Cata was amazing at the start and I had the best time of my wow years during that time. After they nerfed the heroic dungeons and made them faceroll it went downhill from there. I hated firelands and hated DS even more. First tier was good, and the whole expac wouldve been great if they kept it difficult. Still rated my least favorite expac.
    Bane

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post
    it's funny how people used to say wrath was complete crap, now it's considered good .. people are starting to change their minds about cata.. soon everyone will say MOP was the worst and as time goes on they will say it was one of the best.

people are never happy.
    No, as things get further away they get fuzzier, honestly, the people who said Wrath was crap then, only say it's good now because things got worse. For those people.

Anywho, yeah 4.1 was shit, 4.2 was the best raid in a long time, but way too short and waaaaaaay too difficult in a short amount of time (no difficulty curve) lack of dailies and shit to do. And DS just, DS
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Wrath is always considered good compare to MoP and Cata.

Story - It is WoW related, unlike MoP and Cata.
    The best raid - Ulduar
    Casual friendly raid - Naxx
    Perfectly tuned 5man heroic - Halls of Reflection, Cata 5man has too many trash

The only complain is from Elites.
    They get upset when they see baddies clear Naxx.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Wrath is always considered good compare to MoP and Cata.

Story - It is WoW related, unlike MoP and Cata.
    The best raid - Ulduar
    Casual friendly raid - Naxx
    Perfectly tuned 5man heroic - Halls of Reflection, Cata 5man has too many trash

The only complain is from Elites.
    They get upset when they see baddies clear Naxx.
    If you believe Cata and MoP are not Warcraft related your knowledge of the Warcraft universe is rather shallow.

Deathwing was featured in Warcraft II.

Chen Stormstout was a playable hero in Warcraft II.

Etc etc.

I still think in the end, most of the good you can pull from Cata was specific content ( raid, etc.) or a specific system ( transmog). The good simply can't outweigh the bad, especially considering so much of the bad was due to just poorly thought out designs. In many cases we are still dealing with the outcomes of those poor decisions.

Cataclysm was a sloppy, unfinished expansion. Abandoned raids, haphazard phasing, leaving out large chunks of lore due to "time constraints," and awful characterization (Go'el, Malfurion, Deathwing, Benedictus, etc.) are all evidence of this. It had its bright spots, but they were no where near enough to make Cata a decent xpac. Definitely WoW's lowest point.

I thought it was the best expansion in terms of difficulty. Healing was a bitch when you were starting in heroics (at least for shamans) so I enjoyed the challenge.