Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why must EVERY race have exactly 5 customisable options?

Is there some sort of limitation reason for this? or is it just a game systems philosophy reason? 5 is all we'll do, cos any more will be pereceived as too complex?

i'm not talking about having an advanced character creation here, i'm sure they'll consider this after WoD - becuase it's very popular when you can adjust all types of things, but i'm just thinking that some races actually could benefit from 1 or possibly 2 extra customisations that make a lot of sense and i don't think will make it too complex for new players.

i think maybe the first race they see, i.e human for alliance and orc for horde needs to have the simple 5, but anyway, those aren't the ones that need more optons. Tell me how is having 17 hairstyles on the human female any less complicated than an elf having a separate option to adjust ears?

e.g Night elves
    can't you have a box that you can tick to have golden eyes or silver eyes? without needing to give a slider?
    Can't at least one more slider be added to adjust ears or eyebrows? or merge them into one? I'd love to have be able to have alter eyebrows on night elf characters indepeendent of face, have bushy eyebrows, or thin neat ones similar to blood elves, - the alternative is to add more face options, so each face options has 2 or 3 eyebrow variations, but that iwll make you end up with lik e 25 faces to choose from, and that's even more confusing.

anyway, that was just one example, i'm sure, ther eare other races you want these changes. See the Goblin character creation, you can alter their ears and chin etc

- - - Updated - - -

other options include:
    Make up
    scars
    tatoos/markings - man would be cool if Nelf males had body markings similar to how the females have face markings
    Horns

i know they merge a lot of customisations, together, but i just think some would warrant having their own separate option instead. not all races would need, for eg, human, gnome, dwarf, orc, undead i think don't need any more extra stuff.

troll, tauren, night elf, blood elf - definitely could use a couple of extra cusotmisations options rather than rolling them into 1

10+ Year Old Account
    It's BETA! New models are not final products!

Quote Originally Posted by Pantupino View Post
    He/She's talking about 5 options to customize your toon, namely, Skin Color, Face, Hair Style, Hair Color, Facial Traits, not current state of character models.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantupino View Post
    What? I mean, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    He/She's talking about 5 options to customize your toon, namely, Skin Color, Face, Hair Style, Hair Color, Facial Traits, not current state of character models.
    thank you. i keep getting amazed how forum users so quickly misunderstand what you say or very often jump to their on conclusions, it's very worrying cos this i see quite prevalent on video game forums , it shows a very worrying degree of lack of wisdom or poor ability to understand or intepret correctly - may lead some to think the people can't read.. but it's not right, a 9 year old shoudl be able to understand exactly what is been said, i woudln't expect a 19 year old to be so consistently missing wha'ts been said.

maybe peeps are too absorbbed in their own head, is it a trait of addiciton? and selifsh ambition so focuse don what you want, what you like, that you can only end up seeing what you want to see in what other people say, you only see pereceived threats in what they say , threates against what you want, and what you desire, and are incapbable of actually being neutral or level headed enough to take them for their own point

I'm a He btw, and yes i know Pantupino you could have meant it's beta only and those exra customisable optoins could come, but if iw ere to assume that i'd be only tryin gto read what I want from what you're saying. Kuntantee got it right, and based on what you said, he/she is right in pointingo ut that i'm not talking about the current state of the charater models.

Deleted
    I'd guess that this is what they felt was good enough when WoW was created and changing that would require a lot work. Thusly it won't be something happening anytime soon because it might lead to them having to rewrite most of the character creation system depending on how it was coded. It is not something as simple as adding a 6th row by making one line of code. And i guess the models do not support it either at the moment.

Would totally want more options like that, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I mentioned in another thread, it'd be awesome to have more options. More piercings, or jewelry options like rings or necklaces. Tattoos/war paint. Scars. Different ears and noses. Eye color (without it being tied to the face; would be epic to have the option of heterochromia and blindness in one or both eyes). Even build - weight, musculature, etc. within reason, on a slider. Heck for some races we could even have more options.

But I don't know when we'll see these kind of options. I would be so very excited if they were added, but not holding my breath.

who know...
    maybe to make it easier for gear developments...

in ffxiv female chest size = more gear change
    for example one race(female) have many gear look because of chest area.
    if it was just size they can scale it but the different in small part(chest area)

that mean more work
    -> that why they remove female round a*s from the game since it' easier and faster to make gear for flat people
    (True story)

(fan have to choose between chest or rear....)

I agree with that. That's why I can't make my troll and goblin females to not wear any jewelry at all. They just don't have any options for that.

EVERY race have exactly 5 customisable options because EQUALITY. If they give 1+ options for X race(s), people who don't play those race(s) are gonna feel bad because they don't have enough options when creating their character, and if they give 2+ well that's just nuts and people are gonna lose their mind even more.
    If Blizzard wants to add options, every race is gonna have the exact same number, nothing less nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondray View Post
    What? I mean, what?
    It's a side-effect of this kind of social atmosphere. You see the same thing on other sites, it's just the population is low enough and with a high veteran-to-new ratio so that this kind of thing is constant. There's probably a specific term for the phenomenon, but "knee-jerk reaction" is as close as you're going to get for now.

It's kind of like going on reddit and saying "So how rare is a [blank] in comparison to say, diamonds?" You'll get a tidal wave of "diamonds aren't rare!" posts before somebody actually stops and says "Well, here's the approximate estimate of diamonds on the planet as compared to [blank.]"

I can see adjustable ears dealing more with clipping issues, so that's something they'd likely not want to tackle, but I fully support tattoos and warpaint and even different skin tones (orcs and dark irons).

I know in WoD my favorite gnome hairstyle (buns with the silver rings) is having the silver be replaced with green, and it looks really terrible. I wouldn't mind being able to change that color.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    EVERY race have exactly 5 customisable options because EQUALITY. If they give 1+ options for X race(s), people who don't play those race(s) are gonna feel bad because they don't have enough options when creating their character, and if they give 2+ well that's just nuts and people are gonna lose their mind even more.
    If Blizzard wants to add options, every race is gonna have the exact same number, nothing less nothing more.
    Pretty much this.

Although they could add options which wouldn't impact the way the armor fits and wouldn't require animations: eye colors, skin colors, hair colors, jewelry colors, tattoos, make up, etc. I don't understand why faces need to come with a certain eye color and make up palette, for example, or why the color of night elf tattoos depends on skin color, or why the color of hair accessories can't be changed. These are small things which already exist and just need to become separate settings.

Deleted
    The same options already exist and are already loading just fine, but they are coupled at the selection screen. Uncoupling eye color from face model wouldn't make your world load any more slowly.

Chris Rob confirmed on Twitter a while back that the character revamp team would focus on additional customization beyond what we have now once the first update is 100% complete. One thing at a time guys.
    You just lost The Game

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Chris Rob confirmed on Twitter a while back that the character revamp team would focus on additional customization beyond what we have now once the first update is 100% complete. One thing at a time guys.
    he was referring to sub races, like having brown skinned options for orcs - i.e. Mag'har orcs
    or having tattoos on dwarves to make wildhammer dwarves

things like more darker skin tones for night elves I was supporting in other threads is not what he was referring too
    nor would maybe separating eyebrows or eye types from face type or facial hair types to be customisably independent.

Yes, I've been saying for a long time that more options would be very much appreciated. Things like seperate tabs for eye color, jewelry, make up / beard, tattoos and scars could be offered for all the races. Maybe extra options for nose, chins and ears, like with the goblins. And then for specific races an extra option for fangs, horns, and things like that.

Tauren, Pandaren and Worgen can change their fur color in the barbershop while other races can't change their skin color. This has always been unfair. Personally, I think everyone should be able to change skin color in the barbershop. As an RP'er, I'd like to be able to give my character a tan after she's been on a desert expedition.

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem is, even with giving each race exactly five options, they're not equal in the least. Let's take for example, human females and tauren females. They each have five options, so it's equal, right?

Human females have face (15), skin color (10), hair style (19), hair color (10), earrings (7).

Tauren females have face (4), skin color (11), hair style (5), horn color (3), horn style (7).

Worgen don't even GET a fifth option. You click the "hair color" button, to this day, it does nothing for the worgen form. It only changes their human form.

So let's stop pretending it's for equality, because the model options are far from equal. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    Tauren, Pandaren and Worgen can change their fur color in the barbershop while other races can't change their skin color. This has always been unfair. Personally, I think everyone should be able to change skin color in the barbershop. As an RP'er, I'd like to be able to give my character a tan after she's been on a desert expedition.
    We couldn't even originally do that. Only reason we can now is because tauren and worgen can't change their "hair color" and druid form color is tied to skin color for these races. Making us have to pay real money to change the druid form color when night elves and trolls could simply go to the barber shop and change hair color was unfair, too.

Don't get me wrong, I think that just about everything should be changeable at a barber shop. Only race changes/gender changes should cost real money. But I realize that will never happen.
    Last edited by snuzzle; 2014-07-05 at 04:51 PM.

Sig by Isilrien

Because customization in Wow is stuck in the 90s.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's an engine limitation. WOW at its core has a very old engine that was just not built to handle much in the way of character differences (in the way that say ESO can).