Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    because it's so coooool to be in a human city in a fantasy game

/yaawwwwwwn

Ever since Cataclysm Blizzard hasn't quite been the same as before, that's the explanation for every retarded change since Failclysm.

Personally I've always preferred Stormwind as my home city. Passing through that section of Ironforge with the fishing pool (I think on the north end?) I always feel like someone's going to jump out and mug me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    ... Well, not really, it just had the Auction House.
    So you're saying the fact IF had the Auction House does not come under the umbrella of convenience?

Otherwise, no idea why you felt you had to disagree with me so you could simply say the same thing I did but a little more specific.

If you wanna be really specific we could give a whole history lesson about how Vanilla auction houses worked, and go on to talk about other reasons why Ironforge persisted as the main Alliance capital long after linked Auction Houses were added to all faction capitals.

But seems a bit unnecessary. So why not just say "Ironforge was more convenient" like I said in the first place

My realm has a decent amount of people in IF normally and i never noticed a difference. Was IF the capital community-wise, or lore wise?

10+ Year Old Account
    cause its a cave with poor ventilation filled with fat, smelly dorfs, thats why.

whos they? ironforge was the only place with auction house. then they made auction houses in every city. the people choose stormwind over ironforge

It's partly due to the streamlining of the game's narrative in my opinion. In Classic, which you referred to, there were multiple major narratives in the game, translating in six major campaigns, the same number as the capitals. If, for example, you were playing as Alliance, you could choose between the human, dwarven or elven campaign; and you would play in the zones around those capitals for a big part of the game. There were far more places to go, and things to do; choices to make as well. So naturally players frequented a bigger variety of places.

Now, things work in two story-wise: two major campaigns, two new major capitals, two old major capitals. It's far easier to develop new content that way; just imagine each expansion offering six, or even more now that there are more playable races, major campaigns. And along with the grouping of Alliance and Horde races into two big groups along comes the centralization of the capitals, both old and new. It's easier, faster and costs less. And while maintaining some added npcs in a few more cities isn't that big of a deal, it is more work; and does go against the current "centralization" theory they are following.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2014-07-12 at 05:56 PM.

People didn't use IF because it was pretty. It's a hole in the side of a mountain. They used it because it was smack in the middle of Eastern Kingdoms. Originally the only Ally AH was in IF, until they opened the SW and Darn ones. But people still gravitated to IF because it was the most convenient city to get anywhere in the world from. You were a short hop from Menethil and the boats to Darn and Theramore and all of Kalimdor, you could take the tram to SW to get to the southern half of EK, and IF was the closest major city to Lordaeron and the plaguelands. It was really just centrally located, had nothing to do with the city itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashrael View Post
    Wanna know what stops me from using transmog/reforge/item upgrade in thunder bluff?
    Because everybody has to remog, forge and upgrade items every time they log in don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Edds View Post
    whos they? ironforge was the only place with auction house. then they made auction houses in every city. the people choose stormwind over ironforge
    Until Cata killed every city that was not SW or ORG, IF had a large AFK population.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wha wha what?
    IF is still there, in all it's glory. Unless my eyes betray me, I'm standing at the mailbox, next to the bank and enjoy the much less hectic annoyance caused by that cluster fuck of mindless herd building.

Seems like a personal problem more than anything..
    Hearth to Shrine: Transmog/Upgrade/Reforge/Void Storage just as fast reached than in SW, if not faster....
    Everything else in IF, reachable through the shrine portal.
    Does one really need more convenience? I don't.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

It's all about appearances. They don't want people spread out, it makes the game look less active/populated. They want to concentrate all their players in very specific areas to give the appearance of high activity/subs.

Sadly they don't care what city you prefer. It's all part of their grand design.

10+ Year Old Account
    IF has more potential that SW does though, we only see 1 level of the city and there are what 7?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Every time I see one of these posts I seriously wonder if someone from Vanilla/BC didn't just come out of a coma and instead this is one of our regular posters with a sock account trying to make it seem like there's more people who are passionate about their subject than would seem to be the case if you gave a quick glance at the game's population en masse.

I hate Stormwind, I love Ironforge. Yeah, it sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    It's all about appearances. They don't want people spread out, it makes the game look less active/populated. They want to concentrate all their players in very specific areas to give the appearance of high activity/subs.

Sadly they don't care what city you prefer. It's all part of their grand design.
    Let's look a little closer here.....
    ALL capital cities have command boards. Main campaign quests are picked up there. They are not just in SW and Orgrimmar.
    Yes, both capital cities have the main portals to the Cata zones, and one to Pandaria. But those are not the only ways to get there. Especially true for Pandaria, where portals to every faction capital plus Shatt, and Dal are located, the Shrine is the logic choice for a toons base location.
    From there on out, it is every persons own decision to use the portals to their liking.
    There are few quests that send you to the faction leader. None of them require you to stay there. One can leave again.
    The overcrowded cities Orgrimmar and Stormwind are not overcrowded because we have to be there, but entirely because people act like sheep..
    Herd animals.. And we flock there, where the other animals are as well.
    Some people do not follow that pattern, and they hang out in the other cities, and feel no disadvantage whatsoever.

It is not Blizzard, it's the mindless herd instinct of the players causing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ironforge is the best thing in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingBreezes View Post
    Every time I see one of these posts I seriously wonder if someone from Vanilla/BC didn't just come out of a coma and instead this is one of our regular posters with a sock account trying to make it seem like there's more people who are passionate about their subject than would seem to be the case if you gave a quick glance at the game's population en masse.
    SO because every one goes to the city with ALL the convenience features it means that no one misses IF? Ok. I guess that is a way to look at it. OR you could look at it truthfully. That a fair number of people hate SW but go there because they have to.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    ... Well, not really, it just had the Auction House.

On topic; they should simply add the transmog npcs and portals to ALL the major cities,- yes even Exodar and Silvermoon.

Auction House,
    Closer to the majority of raids (AQ, Onyxia, Naxx)
    Closer to majority of max level 5man dungeons.
    Faster travelling accross both continents.

You're right, it's only more convenient than Stormwind because of the AH. That's why all the Alliance switched to Stormwind once they added the AH in all major cities back in 1.9... Wait, they didn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    SO because every one goes to the city with ALL the convenience features it means that no one misses IF? Ok. I guess that is a way to look at it. OR you could look at it truthfully. That a fair number of people hate SW but go there because they have to.
    One could argue about the convenience of Stormwind, or Orgrimmar too for that matter...
    Other cities are often more convenient when it comes to trainers etc. Both capitals are quite stretched out. And anyone who is still grounded without a flyer will experience this rather quickly. You get around a lot more convenient in IF than in SW for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yousend View Post
    Auction House,
    Closer to the majority of raids (AQ, Onyxia, Naxx)
    Closer to majority of max level 5man dungeons.
    Faster travelling accross both continents.

You're right, it's only more convenient than Stormwind because of the AH. That's why all the Alliance switched to Stormwind once they added the AH in all major cities back in 1.9... Wait, they didn't.
    The raids you've mentioned..... Dalaran is the way to use..
    Naxx obviously in Northrend anyway...
    AQ and Ony.. Portal to the caverns of time with no Rep requirement in Dal.
    While this is a tad further for AQ, it's closer for Ony.