Poll: Do we need scenarios?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    they missed the best use for them. we did not need them as lvl 90 content, they should have been used as leveling content. alternatives to questing/dungeon/bg's. Scenario's are better used in this manner, and would have been more popular.
    Which is what they are doing with them in WoD as far as I know.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

The concept was great, but they failed to understand that scenarios can't be their excuse to stop adding new dungeons at max level, and don't need to be done as if they were dungeons without tank & healer. But this is WoW and blizzard we are talking about, they took a nice concept from another game (rift) and simply broke it in a way that it seems even hard for them to add new ones.

The arena at the white tiger temple was just spot on, the rest of them are simply small 3-man dungeons and that wasn't the point of scenarios. Short group play, without roles, present at any level.

And this polls just has the wrong answers. I want both, the game can benefit from having both.

Looks like a nice addition for moving the story forward or just getting to actually see more of the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Subduer View Post
    What was wrong with the 5.0 scenarios? I don't particularly experience a different in enjoyment between the 5.0 dailies and the newer ones.
    Lore relevancy. Compare a scenario, where you help a random brewmaster bring her product to a random monastery, to a scenario, where you investigate what's up with Orgrimmar having new never-before-seen catacombs. One is just flavor to the continent of the expansion, while the other is closely tied to the core plotline. I don't give two shits about a pandaren village facing trouble from some goofy tree-midgets, while I am interested in scattering a sect of frost trolls alongside Dark Iron dwarves. It was the scenario, where you saw Dark Iron dwarves walking the walk and becoming assets for the Alliance. Same with Dagger in the Dark, it showed what happened to Vol'jin and did its part in expanding his character.

But then they pushed out the seabattle, which served no purpose other than being "cool". Forsaken kicking Kor'kron out of Undercity met the axe in favor of that crap.
    Last edited by Zuben; 2014-08-03 at 04:03 PM.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Being able to 'expand' on a quest or some lore is great and all, but Scenarios suck. They're boring, buggy, and not worth doing. Even if you are a mega casual the reward for doing a Scenario isn't worth it. Scenarios felt like a by product of them putting so much infisense on the books as being the main way to get lore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Sigh, no they're not.
    Source? Seems like they would be.

It had a huge potential for story telling + being fun but was never utilized... They should have made old scenarios about Northrend especially, TBC could have been great as well, Cataclysm even. All those could have been awesome for leveling besides only doing dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    ...So they just ended up being watered down dungeons (there's very little you can do mechanics-wise without a tank and healer).
    This, and it's exactly why I don't want to see a whole lot of them in the future.
    "Do fish have dreams?" - Nick Cage
    The Cage!! In his most primal form!!

They should've been group quests to queue for and possibly repeat. Not endgame content.

That day when random matchmaker put my prot pala in a scenario with... another 2 prot palas...
    It was the longest and most boring "adventure" of my life.

In that way I much more prefer structured dungeons, and yes I do miss dungeons, since Cata we tend to have very few levelling dungeons and this trend seems to persist in WOD, also MOP did not add any dungeon post launch which I believe was not the case in any other expansion, instead we got a ton of lfrs and a new flex mode.

But I can't really judge what was added at expense of what. Flex was a success and seems to stay, I don't mind flex, I don't mind scenarios, but I do mind a complete lack of dungeons.

Also scenarios could have some tweaks in the matchmaking that while it can put together 3 dps and it's fine, it shouldn't put more than 1 tank or 1 healer per group, so we could have 3 dps / 2 dps and tank or healer / 1 dps 1 tank 1 healer comps. All these are fairly enjoyable, while a group with 2 tanks or 2 healers (or even 3 of the same type!) feels very slow and role-redundant.

I believe one of the reasons why scenarios were added was the endless QQ from dps players that their dungeon queues are too long, so in that manner the surplus dps can be put in a group with only dps, but really, spread the tanks and healers apart, the amount of people queuing is large enough for that I bet.

And yes, solo scenarios are a good idea when you either want to assure no one will compete for the spawns, or no one will cheese a challenge with having extra helpers, or you want extra immersion. So it's another storytelling tool, and a good one for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosstafa View Post
    Looking back at scenarios after their addition in MoP, did they fulfill a niche that was needed?
    Absolutely. It allowed them to keep Challenge modes interesting and relevant for the entire expansion without having to face new 5 man content to show story or add instanced-group based content.
    I personally would prefer if there was just an option to solo them, but for 3 man content that doesn't require a tank or healer, still provides story and interesting group-based activity...

They absolutely did their job.
    The only real downfall is that you can tell the Heroic 5 mans were really underwhelming. Looks like this is fixed in WOD. We can expect challenging 5 man content and progressive story and activity through scenarios!
    WoW Moderator and Staff Editor at Stratics-WoW!
    http://wow.stratics.com/ - A World of Warcraft Fansite dedicated to lively opinions on the important topics within the game.
    Co-owner of AcegamesTV!
    https://www.youtube.com/acegamestv - A general gaming network focused on high quality variety content!

No they were all boring and weren't fun or rewarding at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    To me, it's an easy way to really get LORE IN, and complete something almost SOLO. IDK how many I've completed PRETTY MUCH by myself, with my group literally AFK, or just literally not doing anything..
    - Being someone who Started in 05, quit instantly, gave it another shot in 2007, with BRUTALITY 5-Man Heroics (TBC heroics like Shattered Halls, and Heroic MGT.. OMG), it truly was ROUGH getting started.

This is just IMO, I agree with content push's etc, elitism, and all the bad stuff Raaaa ra

10+ Year Old Account
    That day when random matchmaker put my prot pala in a scenario with... another 2 prot palas...
    It was the longest and most boring "adventure" of my life.
    That's actually one of my favorite things about scenarios. Unfortunately, they got left in the dust as people geared up, but I really liked going into a scenario without a guaranteed trinity. On our servers (the Chinese ones) it was fairly common to see people change their spec to increase the groups odds of a good run. That started to be less common once people out geared the content by a ridiculous amount and everything turned into a DPS zerg. Still, I'd like to see them fine tune scenarios to give people a reason to break out of their usual rut. I won't queue as a tank, but I'll switch to an off spec and do it if the situation gives me a reason to. I've even found myself healing (I *do not* heal, and have no characters with a healing spec) because a druid in mixed gear was going to be a much better healer than either of the warriors. I still won't queue as a tank, I still have no interest in healing, but I enjoy the challenge of seeing if we can pull it off in the face of my crushing ineptitude. Running along behind the guy in fully upgraded heroic warforged who is basically going to solo the scenario ... not so interesting.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    I don't like them, I think they're useless and a waste of developer resources.

I feel like 5 mans feel like instanced group quests. Rather, the majority of wow is just questing in various subtly (or not subtly) ways. I personally enjoyed scenarios because they made it easy for me to play with friends who dont have tons of time to deal with the irritations of 5 mans. I also tire of the holy trinity and enjoy how you can do instanced and group based gameplay simply by not standing in things or utilizing the proper use of cooldowns. With 5 mans it feels rather rinse and repeat especially when you're a tank or a healer. (but I know they're planning to diversify healer gameplay in the coming expansion)

I had a lot of fun doing them, especially when they released the heroic versions of them. It didnt feel like you could die in regular scenarios.
    Last edited by Sanctify; 2014-08-03 at 06:51 PM.

Fuck scenarios.

If they are the reason less dungeons are being made, then fuck them.

The only time a scenario is kind of fun is when it is a 1-player scenario that is used to further the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think scenarios are great tech to show important events and lore. I think they are great to use for personal player story, like it was in isle of thunder. They never should replace dungeons as grp content however.

Scenarios were a ridiculous addition and a poor excuse for content. I'd rather have more 5man dungeons.

EDIT: The solo scenarios were decent for story purposes, but the 3mans should have never been added.

As others have said, the solo ones were fine, sometimes great, the group ones really didn't improve the game in any way. Perhaps they could do a flex style going froward, from 1-3 players, and implement them for levelling? That way you have the option for slightly more interesting quests and also allow friends to level together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.