Poll: Is WoW important to you these days?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I put 4, but it's between 3 and 4 for me. Getting sick to death of SoO and the current design of dps and rng as a huge factor, probably going to unsub soon unless the WoD changes are implemented soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unimportant for me these days, I keep up to date. But I don't actively play anymore, just on and off finishing up certain things, and tidying up before new content comes out.

I was most active in classic, this was when I raided hardcore, also did a lot of PvP.
    TBC was mostly a break phase for me, considered quitting several times.
    WoTLK was announced, so I stayed with WoW. Did PuG raiding and was more casual.
    Cataclysm, once again a break phase where I didn't really do much, got even more casual.
    MoP, ultra casual, have done no raiding outside of LFR, no PvP, nothing. Leveling chars and messing around.

My hopes for warlords is that I can get into the raiding scene again, but it would likely be more casual once again. As I have to focus on my studies this and next year.

About a 4. I think WoW is still a great game, but I played it actively for almost 8 years. During that time, I watched most of my friends in the game quit somewhere along the line. Also, my guild of 6+ years disbanded at the end of Cataclysm. Between all that, I got a little burned out.

I will say that even when I'm not playing the game, I'm still very interested in the lore.

Chose 5. If you hadn't put the little descriptions I'd have chosen 4. The game is about to enter its peak as far as balancing and effort on the class/mechanics development history goes. We're entering a period where "does this work? No? Remove or fix that" is actually a thing and not just something people are occasionally posting in the official forums. Classes with useless spells are getting them removed or turned into something useful. Bosses will continue to get more complicated. PVP won't be a slave to burst and we might finally have a expansion where a few specs aren't labeled (truthfully) "Too hard for a new player to even try."
    Blizzard has forgone the route of taking risks with their stories and has decided that
    pandering to the rebellious pre-teen mindset is a safer bet. Thanks Metzen.

Voting 3 since the question is "These days"...When WoD comes (or it's close to getting released) my answer jumps to "6"

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unsubbed waiting for WoD. Haven't logged on to Beta in a few days.
    WoW is still a lot cheaper than trying to play Warhammer, christ that shit is expensive.
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    A 3 for me. Once WoD drops it will probably about a 4.5. Right now there isn't much going on to interest me.

5 I play a lot...however by play a lot atm i mean sit in shrine a lot in between finding random things to do or while watching tv but its like this at the end of every xpac the alt experience for someone like me who enjoys raids abovce anything else is killing it for me atm waiting for wod due to lack of motivation to do the legendary quest a 5th time

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Between 4 and 5 I guess.
    I'm constantly subbed with 2 accounts and play for many hours every single day - but to some extent this is also because I have nothing else/better to do.
    this, probably. The only time I'm committed to WoW is raid times, and that's only a few hours in the week. It's not much different from other hobbies having "meet-ups" I suppose. Outside of raiding, I play when I'm bored, along with other random games.

I'm not playing any MMO at the moment however I value WoW a lot and keep track of what is going on with the game.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

2 and 4 felt the same to me. For me WoW can be 'fun', but that fun is often overshadowed by the fact that I have very few in game friends to do stuff with. You can only do so much solo in WoW before you become bored and have nothing to do. I still log in a lot, but more and more I log in and log out a few minutes later. The guilds I am in don't do anything outside of level alts pointlessly (I say pointlessly because their 90s aren't even in TI gear usually so their mains are gimps and their alts will be gimps once capped). Content drought is hurting though I am trying to get some sets from LFR before they get removed. But only so much LFR a person can take (ques, toxic people, etc) before getting fed up.

Very important, but I am running out of things to do. Burnt out with MoP and I need something new.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    In the long run, WOW is the only video game worth playing. The rest of the bunch is very very boring after X weeks.

Blizzard created WOW and people realised it was something special.

I doubt there will be any other video games that will surpass the "time played" for me.
    Your first point is hogwash. Unless you're older and just became turned on to the video game scene with WoW exclusively, I can't agree with that as a gamer of almost 25 years. There are a plethora of outstanding titles out and more and more I'm seeing the video game genre truly evolve into an art form.

I think I know what you are trying to say though, and I agree when I started WoW 8 years ago it completely consumed my time and immediately sky rocketed to the top of my gaming priorities. Nothing was even comparable. And I remember thinking multiple times "I'll never need to waste money on another game again, this is literally all I need." Looking back though, that was certainly just the honey moon period and addiction talking.

While no doubt special, it is still only a game. More and more now I see the chinks in the Blizzard armor and the ream of Azeroth no longer holds that magical charm for me. I think a lot of us old timers are still chasing that high, but the reality is that WoW simply may no longer provide what it once did. And it's ok to admit that!

You mention Farmville and Hearthstone are meaningless time fillers as though they are in a different category from WoW, but that's exactly what WoW is too. The concept of raising WoW up above the rest as some sort of sacred treasure is frankly.. well.. weird. Again, I see where you may be coming from as I mentioned above, but as we get older I think it's important to call out WoW for what it is. Just another game. You may wanna reassess your values in life.

Deleted
    I'm subscribed and I love it more than ever before - but still, it's just a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just a game so of course it's not as important like money for example, but it's my favorite game ever that still keeps me playing, along with warcraft 3. So it's important for me, i follow mmo champ,warcraft youtubers everyday, as well as testing wod right now and report bugs

Though I don't play as much as I used to, I never really quit WoW. If I'm not subbed to retail, I'm playing on a Vanilla server somewhere. WoW is in my blood.

5, naturally. Tbf I'd have to ask anyone claiming they don't care what they are doing on forums discussing and reading about the game. They must care to some extent.

WoW has been with me for 6 years now. I've made friends through it that I would never have met otherwise, I've had so much fun AND frustration out of it and really felt like being part of a fantasy world, which is what I wanted when I joined. I'll ALWAYS remember when I took off into the Northrend skies on my very own and very first proto-drake...a red one.

Some single-player games manage to captivate me, but none has given me 6 years of non-stop entertainment. No other game on the market right now, be it an mmo or not, is worth it to me. WoW provides me with all the gameplay I need, with spots of outstanding single-player titles as icing on the cake now and then. The fact that it's such a cheap game to have access to ain't a downside either.

Hoping to get another 10+ years out of it.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2014-08-03 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donair View Post
    Your first point is hogwash. Unless you're older and just became turned on to the video game scene with WoW exclusively, I can't agree with that as a gamer of almost 25 years. There are a plethora of outstanding titles out and more and more I'm seeing the video game genre truly evolve into an art form.

I think I know what you are trying to say though, and I agree when I started WoW 8 years ago it completely consumed my time and immediately sky rocketed to the top of my gaming priorities. Nothing was even comparable. And I remember thinking multiple times "I'll never need to waste money on another game again, this is literally all I need." Looking back though, that was certainly just the honey moon period and addiction talking.

While no doubt special, it is still only a game. More and more now I see the chinks in the Blizzard armor and the ream of Azeroth no longer holds that magical charm for me. I think a lot of us old timers are still chasing that high, but the reality is that WoW simply may no longer provide what it once did. And it's ok to admit that!

You mention Farmville and Hearthstone are meaningless time fillers as though they are in a different category from WoW, but that's exactly what WoW is too. The concept of raising WoW up above the rest as some sort of sacred treasure is frankly.. well.. weird. Again, I see where you may be coming from as I mentioned above, but as we get older I think it's important to call out WoW for what it is. Just another game. You may wanna reassess your values in life.
    Nothing is hogwash when I describe my personal opinion.

I am playing video games since 1978 and board wargaming since 1979. One of the very first computer games I played was Moon Lander on the Pet Commodore back in late 78, while in the Arcades I played Crazy Cimber a few months later.

My first bought board wargame was Napoleon's Last Battles and I was the FIRST person in Belgium to buy an Atari home computer in early 1980 (directly handed by the importer) The 32k Atari PC was YEARS ahead on other home computers back then with 4096 colors and player missile graphics with a directly from the arcades imported Antic graphic chip and a spec Pokey sound chip.

I programmed in assembler 6502 and published some games for Softside Magazine myself in 1981.

So I don't think you can blame me of not knowing my gaming world.

And after having played thousands of video games in my life (we copied/ bought everything we could get our hands on back then) I can sincerely say that NOTHING comes even close to World of Warcraft in long term meaningful game play and fun over 36 years now.

That nothing covers Crazy Climber back in 79 ... up to the latest Destiny beta I played just a few days ago.

Especially video games are VERY bleak after a few months. Board (war) games tend to last longer as do miniature games as we seldom play them more than a few times each year.

But yes, games like Farmville 2 and Hearthstone are in essence very shallow time passers and the fact of the matter is: all other video games were to me. From the legendary Star Raiders on the Atari 800 PC to excellent Heavy Rain on the PS3.

They all are VERY bleak compared to the hours played or overall extreme fun in WoW for over 8 years now.

Nothing comes close. And apparently I am not the only one thinking it ... for there is NO game in history which had SO many PAID subscriptions over so many years. Other games simply can't hold up such a success over such a long time overall.

Of course eventually players will leave a game from playing it 4 hours a day, but you have to look back and say nothing comes close at all in overall DATA. From revenue gained, game time played, lasting value, player investments overall...

I have had my personal investment in WoW, both in in game memories or my Paladin statue from FigurePrints and that long term 8 year investment of playing with RL or virtual friends or family in a 3D world is something that simply couldn't be attained by other video games for this long period or intensity.

Not even talking about the extreme different kinds of play offered. From esports to grinding to playing the economy.

My time permits to play almost everything as my banks work for me. To give an example: I played over 6000 matches of Hearthstone and I have had 9 HC characters in D3 with 3 alive and over 1200 hours played (to just mention other Blizzard games but I DO play/try the others too) and frankly they are so bleak compared to WoW I would hardly give them a 3 in lasting value compared to a 10 for WoW.

The latest dud was Destiny. Just another shooter for 15 year old kids. There will be NO women in that game, nor decent adults.

I love gaming, but frankly after World of Warcraft these 2000+ other video games I played were a utter waste of time or just something to pass time. Yes I finished Out Run in the arcades on every coin after a week, Yes I could finish Space Harrier, yes I played Mario in every game possible and frankly Donkey Kong 64 was a hell of a game, but they all pale to time played in WoW for most of us.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-08-04 at 08:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    2)

Dont even want to reinstal the client to try beta.

So maybe 1.