Thread: Dps help

Dps help

So my guild has been running normal for a while now and been doing fine with it - cleared 14/14 without too many problems. Now we are looking at heroic progression and really struggling with enrage timers. It kinda sucks but anyway our combat rogue (who has given me permission to post this) is doing a lot lower damage than he should be for his gear. I personally know nothing about rogues so haven't been able to give him any advice other than what his top 5 damaging abilities seem to should be when looking at other rogue's on other guilds logs.

Anyway, here is one of the logs of the wipes on fallen protectors: warcraftlogs.com/reports/XJ87ZNzgkQYRmt1h#fight=4&type=damage-done&source=1

and here is his armory: eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Bazinger/

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

He seems to basically be doing nothing for 8-10% of the fight. Low active time and low SnD up time at a quick glance. He also had Blade Flurry up pretty much the whole fight. Depending on your tactics (do you have them hugged up, burn one down at a time to the 66/33% marker, etc) he may need to check that.

ah yeah we weren't stacking them, that could be a problem there. Basically on top of that he just needs to be more active aswell then I guess.

Deleted
    i went through the normal mode kill as that is the fight you obviously finished and should have a stable tactic on. The main issue that i found was that he seems to not know the basic mechanics of the class and he's not tracking buffs&debuffs properly. Might sound harsh, but the basics arnt that complicated so with a little help he should improve a lot.

he opened with ambush, then did 4 revealing strikes (which is a debuffbuff you only apply every 24 seconds), then he uses KS & SB, does a few sin strikes and an eviscerate and only THEN decides to put up slice & dice (after 20 seconds into the fight) which is basicaly the single most important self buff you need to keep up as a rogue in any spec. In the next 30 seconds he applies slice&dice 7 (!!) times, knowing that a one point slice & dice lasts for 12 seconds, that is way too much. He has 90% uptime on s&d and im sure it wouldve been 100% with those 20 seconds at the start, but the way he gets there is not efficient. And it continues to be like that for the rest of the fight.

so a few quick pointers:

basic opener you can do nothing wrong with: ambush -> 2 cp slice&dice -> KS -> SB -> rvs -> sin to 5 CP -> finisher -> etc.
    only use 5 cp finishers!
    keep s&d up all the time (you miss out on lots of white dmg if you dont) refresh it with 5 CP, but if its about to drop do it with whatever CP you have
    keep rvs up every 24 seconds

but i rly suggest making him read:

icy-veins.com/wow/combat-rogue-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities
    and then eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10302000393

i also strongly suggest him getting an addon to track RvS debuff and slice & dice
    Last edited by mmoced381f817d; 2014-08-13 at 12:12 PM.

I'm new to a rogue in terms of this Tier. So, Please correct me if wrong.

However, After looking at his logs.

All the previous points made are valid however, I see he is keeping Blade Flurry on, a lot.
    Now, Don't get me wrong, If any sort of mobs are close enough, Cleave it up brah.

However, I've done the fight on normal and heroic. I can't remember a time aside from Suns Adds and Anquish maybe being on Sun due to a debuff switch. That would help you all that much in this encounter? The -20% energy regen is a big thing if the cleave dmg isn't being used properly.

Or is the range on Blade Flurry bigger than I think?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Having BF up is a good idea on this fight, given that you are stacking the bosses up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripitgood View Post
    I'm new to a rogue in terms of this Tier. So, Please correct me if wrong.

However, After looking at his logs.

All the previous points made are valid however, I see he is keeping Blade Flurry on, a lot.
    Now, Don't get me wrong, If any sort of mobs are close enough, Cleave it up brah.

However, I've done the fight on normal and heroic. I can't remember a time aside from Suns Adds and Anquish maybe being on Sun due to a debuff switch. That would help you all that much in this encounter? The -20% energy regen is a big thing if the cleave dmg isn't being used properly.

Or is the range on Blade Flurry bigger than I think?
    I dont think i have turned BF off for that whole fight xD.

- - - Updated - - -

I compared my logs to his and in his 9.37 fight he had 127 Sinister strikes and i had 110 for my 4min fight. He seems to be inactive alot. He needs to be spamming SS while maintaining RvS and SnD. Any addon which tracks these will help. Weak auras 2, tell me when, Rogue power bars.

Thanks for your replies guys, I'll pass them on to him.

Toward the end you stack them up, When I killed them we did push Sun/He at the same time. But meh, I see how it could work. Seeing the high haste values we see now. My mistake.

Sorry to ask again guys, Rogue has taken the advice you have given and tried on dummies for 2 minutes. So these logs are without raid buffs, hero etc. but we both still feel like he is doing less damage than he should.

Here are the logs: warcraftlogs.com/reports/YC1dGPJ4ZDQz3hb7/#source=10

To me (I've never played a rogue) his burst seems fine without a pot and hero at 500k dps, however his damage falls off fairly quickly to 100k, so I'm sure something is wrong with his sustained dps. It looks to me like he isn't casting sinister strike enough and therefore not enough eviscerate's however he claims he is literally spamming it as soon as he can, and evis as soon as he has 5 cp if he doesn't have to refresh slice and dice. As I said I've never played rogue so I don't know what I'm talking about so if anyone could have a quick look at the logs that would be great .

(armory of his character is on first post).
    Last edited by matp200; 2014-08-14 at 09:59 PM.

Tell him to go do SoO lfr and log there. Those dummy logs can't really help us with a 1:54 duration.
    Dropndestroy | i7-3770k 4.6Ghz | EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature+ SLI | ASUS Maximus V Formula | G.Skill 16gb 2400 | AX850

Here's a 4 minute Malkorok fight, still a lot shorter than our hc fight, he seems to have done better dps here

warcraftlogs.com/reports/d3B9LWb7JwcGxDAt/#source=22&type=summary

Deleted
    Even on LFR Malkorok , his dps is lower than it should.. I dont know much about combat (I play Sub and Assassination).. I'm 567 atm and does around 300k dps, with worse weapons and trinkets than Bazinger.. So he should be able to do more than that I hope some people here can help him ^^

Deleted
    i think he might still be doing some <5cp eviscs (might be because, as he said, is spamming buttons) judging from the double eviscs right at the start at least, didnt calculate it

the biggest downfall now is the low amounts of KS. He has 4 casts of killing spree in a 4 min fight. That is way too low considering you lower the CD by doing eviscerates and he has the CD reduction trinket. There is a gap of more than 1.5minutes (which is the base CD) and at the end another gap of almost a minute without KS usage. That is hurting his dps a lot, more so cause he has the 4set. He def. needs to learn to use KS and SB+AR on CD. By comparison I did 7 on our last malkorok kill, and that was a shorter log than the one you posted.

other than that the rotation and slice&dice uptime seemed ok, at least, no more 4x rvs and weird s&d refreshes from what i checked (first minute of malk lfr), he seems to be on his way

"spamming evisc as soon as i get 5cp" might also not be optimal, you want to use anticipation charges to get eviscs in at higher insights, but worry about that later i guess

Cheers for your reply , I'll make sure he has something to track his KS cooldown.