Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Legion launch vs WoD launch

Hi all,

Looking for some objective opinion please. During WoD beta it was very quickly identified that quest line which takes players into Draenor (and build a Garrison) was an obvious bottleneck, for whatever reason Blizz didn't respond to this (or did but didn't understand the scale of the issue). As someone who is not in the beta, are there any such issues which you guys have spotted which might impact launch?

Also, on a more general side note, everything I'm hearing about Legion (excluding pvp) is thankfully positive so far, it feels like they have learned the mistakes of WoD (disparate systems, lack of purpose to world content, too many menus, game play focused inside garrisons etc), would you guys in beta agree? or there any genuine warning signs?

you start off in stormwind, and take a boat over to a scenario. the scenario is at least 10 or 15 mins, and the three times i tried i disconnected right near the end and had to start over

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't so much that it was a bottleneck, it was more so they did not expect twice the amount of people that showed up.

With the way they've change automatic zone instances and mob tagging in Legion, it is a non-issue.

They have recently posted on the forums asking for players to identify bottlenecks they are coming across.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The introductory scenario that unlocks broken isles can be completed during the pre-patch you just go straight to dalaran on launch to get your artifact so technically there will be a less severe bottleneck this time, if there will be one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    The introductory scenario that unlocks broken isles can be completed during the pre-patch you just go straight to dalaran on launch to get your artifact so technically there will be a less severe bottleneck this time, if there will be one.
    Dalaran itself will be the bottleneck. Unless their ne on-the-fly sharding technology, in which they are so confident, is really as good as they think it is. One can hope.

There will be problems, just like any other launch. If the beta tests are of any indication, it will be best to start playing at least 3 days after the release to spare yourself the sanity, if you can afford to lose 3 days due to guild etc. Those problems will be prio fixed obviously, but it's not instantaneous.

It is really hard to recongnize if a disconect is from coding in a beta patch or if it just is the beta servers wich is very unstable cuz of the high population.

I dont think the scenario will be a bottleneck since it will be instanced pve, though I agree that dalaran might fuck some things up.

7+ Year Old Account
    The WoD launch problem wasnt caused by the bottleneck quest.. was the "istance not found issue" caused by to many istances created at the same time.
    Actually we dont have that situation in Legion also they are making stress test for that reason on Beta and PTR.
    Argus in 2018 My prediction failed in part... But I'm still a Spacegoat

The biggest bottle neck I recall from WoD was talking to whatever npc that was to start building your garrison. Legion shouldnt have that since everyone wont be descending on the same quests. Artifact sends people all over the place and even once that is done you can start questing in any zone you want.

If anything will cause an issue it will be Dalaran, I shudder when I think back to Wrath. The ability to start in whatever zone you like should help smooth things out in comparison to previous expansions where everyone is in exactly the same place, doing exactly the same quest.
    I remember you... In the mountains

Deleted
    The stability of the legion beta servers is really, really bad. Sure, it's beta. But so much lag, dc, and just being unable to login prior 2 months to launch should ring some alarm bells.

The new questing architecture in Legion should alleviate some of WoD launch's bottlenecking issues but I'm skeptical the launch will go off without a hitch. If it's as bad as WoD's, I would expect a similar "Whoops we fucked up, sorry here's 3 days of game time now fuck off" response from Blizzard we got in WoD.

Deleted
    Lag. Crashes. Quests won't work. Quest objects will be designed in an asinine way. Queuing to get a kill on a quest mob or to pick a quest item. Wasting most of your time during the first 10-20 hours of the expansion on waiting, lagging, crashing, bugging out, trying to log in and sitting in login queues, and all that good stuff.

That's what Legion launch will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Lag. Crashes. Quests won't work. Quest objects will be designed in an asinine way. Queuing to get a kill on a quest mob or to pick a quest item. Wasting most of your time during the first 10-20 hours of the expansion on waiting, lagging, crashing, bugging out, trying to log in and sitting in login queues, and all that good stuff.

Won't be as bad as WoD. Don't think that's arguable. With the changes to leveling in different zones and instanced and tagging etc. It will already be a vast improvement. Even with the issues WoD had, I managed to get max level the following day on a high pop PVP server. I suspect it will be even easier/faster in Legion. Testing leveling in Legion now and should be < 20 hours for sure, even counting for DCs and stuff.

Well, players can start questing in 4 different zones, so at least not everyone will be stuck on the same bugged quests. Mobs can now be tagged by 5 or 6 people of the same faction, so even kill quests shouldn't be a problem on crowded realms. In alpha there were at least 2 mobs that only dropped one quest item and only one person could loot it, no matter how many participated in the kill. If that's not yet fixed I'm sure it will be fixed until release.

Quote Originally Posted by dender View Post
    The stability of the legion beta servers is really, really bad. Sure, it's beta. But so much lag, dc, and just being unable to login prior 2 months to launch should ring some alarm bells.
    Beta and PTR servers are always unstable... I'm not sure how the stability of the beta servers would affect the stability of the live servers.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Shouldn't be many issues this time with increased server capacity and the new instancing of zones so if an instance of a zone is full a new one is created.

Quote Originally Posted by Teranzil View Post
    If anything will cause an issue it will be Dalaran, I shudder when I think back to Wrath. The ability to start in whatever zone you like should help smooth things out in comparison to previous expansions where everyone is in exactly the same place, doing exactly the same quest.
    Not only Dalaran, the class order halls, the bottlenecks in the 4 zones, the mobs dying quickly, the lag in the zones, the world servers going down, etc
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

That's I will take 2 weeks off from work starting with 1st Sept, and not 30th Aug