Thread: WoW "2"

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    "Newer games" being ESO?
    Those things would significantly change the gameplay. They're creative choices, not engine limitations. 'Prettier looking' is subjective. Warcraft has a certain style. I don't think they're limited in that style by their engine at all.

Also, if there's one thing they'd have to replace it would be models and textures.. those get outdated fast.
    Last edited by Dragon2K; 2014-08-17 at 03:46 PM.

Deleted
    Sounds ok to me.

As long as I could send over my old characters/character copy into this new world to have adventures with my friends, totally fine with it. Or even if I couldn't and would have to start again, totally fine. Just as long as they don't erase the characters we already have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Yeah.. WoW Noire.. private tauren detective catching gnome gangsters.
    phaaha oh my lord made my afternoon!! Id pay mega bucks for this!
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    I don't really see the point, same world but just with an updated engine, updated graphics and new lore, I'd rather they just pump out more expansions then. It's not like it's going to happen anytime soon though, as heavily implied by the work they put into the updated character models.
    Agreed. I don't see the point.
    "Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    With a newer engine you could have interesting player interactions with structures (destruction/repair/fortification), meaningful mounted and vehicle combat,
    People generally speaking hate the vehicle and destructable gimmicks in Wintergrasp and whatever the new battleground is that was added in Cata and everybody hates... Persistent changes in terrain isn't possible for MMORPGs because it can create persistent problems for other players and would be too big load for servers. That's why EQN's destructible terrain stays destroyed for about five minutes before it respawns back as it was.

better 3-dimensional depth allowing for more unique zones (ie much better iterations of Vashj'ir),
    Not possible to make 3D movement any better without 3D display. Not engine limitation.

as well as potential for more unique class/ability mechanics.
    Blizzard has added new unique boss abilities every single expansion. Why those aren't added for players is game balance and not to increase the visual effect clutter which is already out of control. It's not an engine limitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    One word.. hitboxes.

Theyre from the 80s.. and they suck. WoW is in desperate need of a new engine just because that one issue nevermind the others. New engine could give WoW collision so you would actually have to hit the monsters instead of performing your choreographic exercises 10 ft away from the boss and they pretend like they're hurt and play dead after you've done it for a few minutes.
    People are already trolling by standing on top of NPCs and mailboxes with huge mounts, just imagine what would happen with 20 trolls pack between city gates for trolling. Social reasons and making game more fun is why there's no collision in WoW. It's not engine limitation and it's easily proven because Blizzard has added collision/invisible boxes around certain NPCs and quest items to prevent this kind of trolling before.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    What you're ranting about are totally unrelated issues. WoW and all Blizzard games are done in very cartoony style on purpose. It creates unique look and it stays timeless unlike any attempts at photorealism that will look shit in just 2-3 years. WoW's engine is not limiting the graphics quality (maps in MoP and WoD are proof of that), it's conscious decision in the art style you're complaining against.
    Graphical design is completely different to a game engine. I think u need to go read up on game programming terminology because u clearly have no clue what the difference is.

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Graphical design is completely different to a game engine.
    And that is exactly what I said.

I think u need to go read up on game programming terminology because u clearly have no clue what the difference is.
    If you want to add something to the discussion make it clear. Incomprehensible innuendos and random accusations only make you look stupid.

I'd like any kind of WoW 2 to be a complete reboot with completely different gameplay, the story started again from scratch and this time without time travel and a different design philosophy to WoW. Perhaps something more about war and territorial control than adventuring heroes..
    THAT would justify another MMO warcraft game existing next to the current WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Graphical design is completely different to a game engine. I think u need to go read up on game programming terminology because u clearly have no clue what the difference is.
    I don't think you understood what he was saying.. cause he's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon2K View Post
    Perhaps something more about war and territorial control than adventuring heroes..
    That sounds more like RTS material than MMORPG.

Quote Originally Posted by dKrunz View Post
    tbh I think a WoW2 would be refreshing, make it so that it has nothing to do with the WoW we know today, but implement the basics and make it with todays graphics and so on.

But wasn't this the so called Titan project, that were put down?
    Graphics doesn't make a good game, look at ESO that failed miserably.
    We knew very little about Titan, what we know is that it's not set in the Warcraft world. Most likely a brand new franchise.
    Also the game looks better and better with each expansion, go look at videos from vanilla wow and compare it to where we are now- then compare to warlords of draenor beta (still not finished). The "looks" of WoW are getting better all the time, the problem is that what they run wow on is an aging system. Still the best mmo that's ever been and haven't lost any sizable subscription numbers to any of the "new and better looking" mmo's. Why? Because WoW plays amazingly well, has a strong going community and maybe most importantly: a lot of people have friends they've made in the game. Myself I've played with people for 5+ years that I consider friends.
    Last edited by Huntingbear_grimbatol; 2014-08-17 at 08:58 PM.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

That sounds more like RTS material than MMORPG.
    Well, yes. But Warcraft was an RTS first :P an MMORPG with RTS influences could be cool... theoretically ^^. Anyway, I'm just throwing ideas.

Deleted
    I don't see how WoW 2 would work. The entire game revolves about the lore, and almost everything is based upon it (Two factions and their corresponding races, the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor with all their zones, etc.) - in the end it will still be a WoW 1 in its core. There might be an engine update, if at all, but I consider a sequel or a second establishment very unlikely to happen.

Deleted
    It would be a success no doubt, they have all the systems and have learned over 10 years what works and what doesn't.

If they did this, I reckon WoW 2 would be the biggest and most selling PC game of our lifetime.

People generally speaking hate the vehicle and destructable gimmicks in Wintergrasp and whatever the new battleground is that was added in Cata and everybody hates... Persistent changes in terrain isn't possible for MMORPGs because it can create persistent problems for other players and would be too big load for servers. That's why EQN's destructible terrain stays destroyed for about five minutes before it respawns back as it was.

Not possible to make 3D movement any better without 3D display. Not engine limitation.

Blizzard has added new unique boss abilities every single expansion. Why those aren't added for players is game balance and not to increase the visual effect clutter which is already out of control. It's not an engine limitation.
    Yes because it's a boring-as-shit way to handle building destruction and vehicle combat; but also the only way to do it with WoW's current engine; that's why people take issue with it. If you want a good model for the kind of environmental interaction I'm talking about, look at Dragon Age Inquisition; players can destroy or reassemble things with their abilities, create choke points with collision-based abilities like Ice Walls (though I agree with your assessment that player collision is a bad idea). I also realize that persistent changes in MMOs, outside setups like the Player Farm or Garrison, are not feasible but greater interactivity with the world-pieces as you go along, most certainly is feasible.

I can't necessarily speak to this but I do believe a newer engine would be able to add depth/weight/dynamism to zones like Vashj'ir that, while certainly having a unique and interesting flair, could use a bit more substance.

While aspects of this are certainly true, if you can't see that a new engine would allow for abilities that can't currently be implemented in WoW you are being willfully blind. Players being able to create Collision zones like walls (as I mentioned above) or temporary bridges is not really plausible. As for Visual Effect Clutter, excluding AoE fights this an entirely made up problem.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    It will happen, gotta milk all them versions.

WoW 8bit, 16bit, 480p only, 640x800, 4k version, all of em!!

WoW in Black n White, callin' it now!

Looks like Daggerfall.

Yes because it's a boring-as-shit way to handle building destruction and vehicle combat; but also the only way to do it with WoW's current engine; that's why people take issue with it. If you want a good model for the kind of environmental interaction I'm talking about, look at Dragon Age Inquisition; players can destroy or reassemble things with their abilities, create choke points with collision-based abilities like Ice Walls (though I agree with your assessment that player collision is a bad idea). I also realize that persistent changes in MMOs, outside setups like the Player Farm or Garrison, are not feasible but greater interactivity with the world-pieces as you go along, most certainly is feasible.

I can't necessarily speak to this but I do believe a newer engine would be able to add depth/weight/dynamism to zones like Vashj'ir that, while certainly having a unique and interesting flair, could use a bit more substance.

While aspects of this are certainly true, if you can't see that a new engine would allow for abilities that can't currently be implemented in WoW you are being willfully blind. Players being able to create Collision zones like walls (as I mentioned above) or temporary bridges is not really plausible. As for Visual Effect Clutter, excluding AoE fights this an entirely made up problem.
    I'm pretty sure the engine can handle collision spawning perfectly fine; as it already does spawn gameobjects that do have collision. I see no reason why this couldn't happen dynamically. HOWEVER, it'd be pretty easy to grief people with a mechanic like that, which I think is a more likely reason why we're note seeing more of it.

I'd much prefer to see Blizzard create an MMO using the Starcraft or Diablo setting as it allows for a more dark, gritty and immersive story if done right. I wouldn't be opposed to a faithful sequel to WoW but I firmly believe that the ship has long since sailed and that they'd likely be better off with some sort of retelling of the original story whilst learning from their past experiences and mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    I don't really see the point, same world but just with an updated engine, updated graphics and new lore, I'd rather they just pump out more expansions then. It's not like it's going to happen anytime soon though, as heavily implied by the work they put into the updated character models.
    Agree with you or not, I don't think you can make any judgements at all about how much has been implied by the work they put into updating models. They were never in any hurry but for one deadline, the release of WOD, which was decided when they finally started the project. Who is to say at all how much faster the project could have been if it had been a different priority? WOD has taken the time to come out due to training an expanded team and perfecting very novel mechanics being added to the game with garrison integration, requiring careful testing and development. The art team has been mostly given all the time they felt like using with no reason to speed things up. With Blood Elves not making it into release, it's simple to infer otherwise, but with more of a notice beforehand to be ready for the release for all we know they could have done it and done it a while ago. I think they've taken their time and this has been mostly a labor of love with no need to rush anything, but I'm just guessing here. But then, look at the timeline of announcements. A full year after being told dwarves were almost finished, orcs and humans were announced to have been started. We have no idea if they scrapped a number of less sophisticated updates and started over again when they changed the original announcement from simple model updates to Pandaren quality animations a year later after the initial announcement.
    I would guess multiple factors have resulted in what so many perceive as some kind of delay, and it could have possibly never have been necessary in the first place to have taken this much time.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    I still think that at some point they should do a warcraft 4, to make some large geopolitical changes to the world and allow for protagonists/antagonists and factions. RTS allows for bigger, world scale changes imo. After the world has been properly shook up we can jump into wow 2 where wc4 ended.

The only 'problem' is if wc 4 should run parallel to wow or not. If it runs parallel lore is going to be a complete clusterf*ck. If it doesn't they have to end wow before they can launch wc 4 which is unlikely, wow and wc4 player base does not overlap.

Not going to happen while wow is still making heaps of gold coins for blizzard though.

If wow 2 have better graphics then wow, then i'd say bring on the wow 2
    And with better graphics i mean like in black dessert and vindictus, among others :>