Deleted

Big computer, "big" budget

I usually consider 2800+$ computers as big budget but in the past few years I see people wary of even passing 1600 for what they consider good gaming computers, so I admit I'm starting to feel a bit ostentatious with my 2200-2300$ build, but anyhoo, here we go.

This is my planned computer designed to be my next machine for the next 3 years without requiring any upgrades during that time, maybe lowering Shadows and AA here and there, starting to think of upgrades in the 4th and 5th year, then giving away to my parents in the 6th-7th year :P.

Aside from games it's obviously used for the daily plebeian stuff, as well as making music videos with video game cinematics (I love making those!!!).

Our contestants: (everything is in canadian dollars)

The case: - 180$
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-104-_-Product

In the past 3 builds I made I used the HAF912 for 60-70$ from CoolerMaster with great success. However, I'm looking at this NZXT case and I'm thinking to myself that I could use it for the rest of my life. The fans options are...mindblowing...the size is...intimidating to my manhood...and the filters and overall build are beautiful and arousing.

The power supply: -125$
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-017-_-Product

Fully modular, high power so fan doesn't go to high RPM with my planned power usage (less than 400W), great and numerous reviews both on Newegg and Amazon, Gold certified, good price. 10 year warranty...seriously?

The 200mm fans: - 76$ (waiting for a price reduction)
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16835103073

2x red top for exhaust, 2x blue front for intake. Incredibly silent and reliable, have a bunch at home.

The CPU heatsink: - 35$
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-099-_-Product

Going for an i7 Devil's Canyon, only using automatic overclock, not planning on pushing anything beyond that. It's tried, it's proven, it's cheap, it's glorious.

The motherboard: - 200$
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813128707

I believe in Gigabyte products. I'm still wondering whether to go for a cheaper version in the 130$ range, I just read the reviews on this one and people complaining is usually for BS reasons, which is good. When negative reviews are about "the colors don't match" I know it's a good board. I also want to have numerous fan headers on the motherboard.

The graphics card: - 420$
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-684-_-Product

It's the 970, everyone loves it, and the Gigabyte edition is getting praised to The Shire and back, in terms of every aspect. I game on 1080p and not planning on going higher. The only negative review on Newegg is some poor dude getting a DOA. It happens. Solar flares and all that.

The CPU:- 350$
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-369-_-Product

It's an i7. It's fast, it's cool, it's fast, it's cool, it's fast, it's cool....HT for my video editing, I heard it helps. I imagine it will easily last me 5 years.

The SSD: - 230$
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820148821

It's cheap, it's fast, it's reliable, it's an SSD. Have one in my laptop on SATA2 and it's still blazing.

The RAM: - 145$ (waiting on a price reduction)
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820231638

CAS9 @ 2400MHz, you'll be hard pressed to find a better combination at a price meant for mortal wallets. I can start off at 8GB and get another 8GB when it gets even cheaper thanks to DDR4 prices pushing DDR3 down (hopefully).

I already bought 3 x 140mm fans (one exhaust, 2 directional fans inside the case), cost me about 50$ (with taxes and shipping).

--------------------------

Total price:
    145 + 230 + 350 + 420 + 200 + 35 + 76 + 125 + 180 + 50 = 1811$

15% taxes in Canada = 272 + 1811 = 2083$

Shipping for everything I assume will be more or less 100$ since I won't buy everything from Newegg (fuck 50$ on shipping that case) so final price:

More or less 2200$.

WHT DO YU THNK?

Last edited by mmoc718fc31bba; 2014-09-30 at 04:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a nice build, would love to have it... but if you're planning on spending big money, why not just get the top of the line gpu? I know the 900 series just came out, but IMO you should sacrifice something else and get the 980 gtx.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can probably shave like $300 off the top without any performance loss. A lot of those choices serve no purpose besides increasing the price tag. I'll rebuild it with a better setup.

How much 'video editing' do you do?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You can probably shave like $300 off the top without any performance loss. A lot of those choices serve no purpose besides increasing the price tag. I'll rebuild it with a better setup.

How much 'video editing' do you do?
    That's what I was noticing... he could spend $80~ on 1600 bus speed ram w/ the same amount. Also a 512gb SSD seems excessive. I personally wouldn't get anything more than 240 and even 120gb would be more than enough. Put your OS on it and games that you care for, everything else would just go on the regular HDD.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Deleted
    Just music videos. Like I taking cinematics from different games, pick a cool song, and edit them together so the videos fit the music. Up until now I've been working with 480p quality since it's too slow to work in Sony Vegas otherwise, but with this rig I plan on working on 1080p all the time. A typical music video is like 3-4 mins with tens of different scenes, and I do a video in less than a week usually, with my current speed.

This is the kind of thing I do (this wasn't done by me):

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    That's what I was noticing... he could spend $80~ on 1600 bus speed ram w/ the same amount.
    I was thinking that since I'm stuck in DDR3 generation anyway, might as well go as fast as possible, with as little latency as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    It's a nice build, would love to have it... but if you're planning on spending big money, why not just get the top of the line gpu? I know the 900 series just came out, but IMO you should sacrifice something else and get the 980 gtx.
    I thought of that but by the time the 970 starts to get old on 1080p I can probably buy the 1170 (I assume that's what it will be called) for 400$ and It will be better than the 980 anyway. I don't mind lowering setting in games either, I just don't like lowering resolution. Shadows for me are fluff though, so is anything beyond 2x AA. If I can good, otherwise I'll barely notice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OlyOlyOxenFree View Post
    Just music videos. ... A typical music video is like 3-4 mins with tens of different scenes, and I do a video in less than a week usually, with my current speed.
    I personally don't think this is worth $100 for the HT on, but thats up to you.
    I was thinking that since I'm stuck in DDR3 generation anyway, might as well go as fast as possible, with as little latency as possible
    Latency and speed have little effect on this stuff. Marketing gimmick, more or less.

I'd roll something like this (and maybe drop the i7)
    PCPartPicker part list
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($358.95 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($128.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Memory Express)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($138.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.95 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($384.99 @ Memory Express)
    Case: NZXT H630 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($189.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Power Supply: Antec HCG M 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $1453.60
    Last edited by chazus; 2014-09-30 at 04:48 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    The sensible part in me nods in approval to 90% of your suggested choices, including the i5 suggestion.

The crazy in me shakes his head furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by OlyOlyOxenFree View Post
    The sensible part in me nods in approval to 90% of your suggested choices, including the i5 suggestion.

The crazy in me shakes his head furiously.
    I am no hardware guru, but looking through your choices, definitely seems to be a waste of money.

Chazus would not steer anyone wrong. I would take his advice any day of the week, especially if it were going to save me $750 for basically the same performance.

The i5 would be fine for what you're looking for. I can see going with an i7 if you're physically coding yourself, or just don't care about the cost.
    Excellence, completed by Shyama!