Page 1 of 2
LastLast

There are way too many Nintendo handheld consoles...

So, I'm looking into getting a Nintendo handheld, but they have so many models, it's overwhelming and I have no idea which to go with. I'd prefer one that can do DS, as well as GB Advance carts, but I have my Advance SP still, so I could just use that for older games. Help meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what I think killed them with the wii u. They shit out so many consoles that people thought the wii u was an addon like the dsi just added a camera.

The newest handheld is the 3ds which supports ds but I don't think they support gba anymore. The xl just means bigger screen and I believe their already is a new 3ds in japan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get the newest version of the 3ds (the "New Nintendo 3ds" yes that's its actual name) when it comes out next year. That way you can play all ds/dsi/3ds/new3ds games. If they release an XL version of it, then get that instead.
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Quote Originally Posted by zozobra View Post
    So, I'm looking into getting a Nintendo handheld, but they have so many models, it's overwhelming and I have no idea which to go with. I'd prefer one that can do DS, as well as GB Advance carts, but I have my Advance SP still, so I could just use that for older games. Help meh.
    Since you still have a GBA SP (presumably in working order), i would advise waiting for the "new 3DS", the hardware update that Nintendo are pushing in Japan and will inevitably unleash on the rest of the world soon, it has a slightly improved processor, so will help you get the most out of new games which support it, it also has a second analogue stick on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Since you still have a GBA SP (presumably in working order), i would advise waiting for the "new 3DS", the hardware update that Nintendo are pushing in Japan and will inevitably unleash on the rest of the world soon, it has a slightly improved processor, so will help you get the most out of new games which support it, it also has a second analogue stick on it.
    Okay, cool. I might do that, or wait for the XL version, if they make one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NuLogic View Post
    This is what I think killed them with the wii u. They shit out so many consoles that people thought the wii u was an addon like the dsi just added a camera.
    It's true, when I told my brother I got a Wii U, he said "That's the new controller for the Wii, right?" >_<

Half the battle is the names, they need better names and people like me will have a better idea of what to look for. New DS XL U SDi DSLX iD 3D3d3d-3D!

My smartphone is enough to play simple games on the go. I don't have enough time to play a for reals game when I'm not at home, and when I am at home I can just play on the Wii U gamepad if I want a handheld. I'm very impressed Nintendo is selling so well on the handheld market; I really don't know how.

10+ Year Old Account
    its going to be the XL Version (in japan its not called XL)

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    My smartphone is enough to play simple games on the go. I don't have enough time to play a for reals game when I'm not at home, and when I am at home I can just play on the Wii U gamepad if I want a handheld. I'm very impressed Nintendo is selling so well on the handheld market; I really don't know how.
    Cause their games lineups are amazing, PSP only had a couple of diamonds but the prices were high compared to the prices of Nintendo games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Yeah, I don't really need one either. I guess I just want to get caught up on all the DS games I've never played, like the Pokemans, Mario Super Bros, Adventures of Prince Zelda, and my favorite character of all, Metroid Man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xarganthos View Post
    its going to be the XL Version (in japan its not called XL)
    Yeah, this is hurting my brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Yeah, I don't really need one either. I guess I just want to get caught up on all the DS games I've never played, like the Pokemans, Mario Super Bros, Adventures of Prince Zelda, and my favorite character of all, Metroid Man.

- - - Updated - - -

Imo some of the best Nintendo handheld games are not made by nintendo, but by developers like atlus, square enix, camelot, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

In Japan the XL is called LL.

The New 3ds has both the normal and LL model sizes.

Therefor it's pretty safe to assume both will be released here as well at the same time, and it will be called XL cause Nintendo of America thinks it sounds better then LL.

Also it's not really a debate. The normal size 3ds is shit to hold for more then a hour at a time. It will kill even medium size hands. The 2Ds is shit and has no protection for the screens(no folding and no cases released for it) nor is it portable with it's non folding tall self.

The only real choice is getting a 3ds XL(if you really want one now) or waiting on the New 3ds XL(if you can wait 6-12 months). The rest of the models are crap in comparison.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2014-10-03 at 12:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait for the new 3ds model (new 3ds, very creative by the big N), it'll be a more powerful handheld with an improved 3d gimmick, new games and a c-stick added to it (yay monster hunter 4 !)
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Wait for the new 3ds model (new 3ds, very creative by the big N), it'll be a more powerful handheld with an improved 3d gimmick, new games and a c-stick added to it (yay monster hunter 4 !)
    The size and location of the stick though ...
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

What aggravates me about the XL models is they put in a larger screen, but don't put on larger buttons -- I basically had limited use out of the original DS, because my thumb would cramp up after using it for a short period of time. Why do they have to use tiny little pin-head buttons anyways?

I'm with the others here, just wait for the new model. ATM it is looking to be cheaper than even the current models, if it converts equally to what they are selling in Japan.

Glad I held off on getting an XL, Nintendo should try to advertise the new 3DS more as to let others know. People will buy the XL for XMas and get bummed on as they hear the coming news of the new system.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

It's true, when I told my brother I got a Wii U, he said "That's the new controller for the Wii, right?" >_<

Half the battle is the names, they need better names and people like me will have a better idea of what to look for. New DS XL U SDi DSLX iD 3D3d3d-3D!
    Yeah the console looks the same and is tiny compared to the wii pad. When you think of wii u you get an image of a giant pad controller blocking the tiny console and think it's a standalone thing.

They where too busy marketing their new gimmick remote that they forgot about the new console. Stupid gamepad with crappy battery like their crappy 3d.
    Last edited by NuLogic; 2014-10-03 at 03:14 AM.

Maybe because DS and 3DS have an amazing library of games. Plus Pokemon basically sells systems for them.

GBA SP is by far the single-handed best non-DS handheld ever conceived. Plays EVERYTHING prior to DS (GB, GBC, GBA), and comes with a rechargeable battery (FINALLY) and a backlight (ALSO FINALLY). Plus, it's tiny and conveniently shaped to fit into a ton of larger objects like carrying cases, purses, etc.

As far as playing all the DS/3DS games, wait for the "New 3DS" (that's literally the name and it's fucking stupid) coming in 2015, as the "N3DS" comes with a better CPU that will be required for some special "N3DS" games that require it, such as Xenoblade Chronicles being ported to the N3DS. There's also an XL variant which is highly recommended, but unfortunately won't have changeable faceplates like the N3DS non-XL will.

TL;DR: Get a 3DS XL now if you can't wait, otherwise, wait for a New 3DS XL so you won't have to buy one later. Use your GBA SP for anything GBA, GBC, and GB related, as the 3DS and N3DS cannot play older-than-DS games.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugs-chan View Post
    Maybe because DS and 3DS have an amazing library of games. Plus Pokemon basically sells systems for them.
    Probably that's what screwed over Nintendo is the Wii/ds aimed for people who just want to kill time and not be bored with cheap gimmicks instead of people who genuinely look forward to a good game. People bought the wii/ds because they where bored but now they have smartphone apps and didn't buy the wii u/3ds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I'm with the others here, just wait for the new model.
    But then what about the other 73 models that will come out in the next five years?