Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is the optimal amount of toons for garrison min/maxin

as title states the question im going to say around 4-5 should be fine

I'd think you could easily get by supporting your main with just one or two alts. Two or three I think is the most anyone would reasonably need, although of course you can always make more money with more characters.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    The OPTIMAL amount? Define optimal. Optimal for WoW/Life balance? Optimal for no-lifeing gold cap? The more the merrier is the way I see it. Currently I'm sitting at 5 toons between 92-100, and that number will increase eventually.

i currently have 2 i think i might start working on 3 and 4 doing a herb+mine on 4 toons and farming durning down time i see alot of cash especially if u got profession on those toons (at start of mop i had 11 toon with inscription lol) by optimal i mean like least amount of toons to get by comfortably

- - - Updated - - -

wanted to update the thread im now running 5 garrisons covering all professions.. i dont have skinning i have a supplier for that currently

10+ Year Old Account

/10char
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Nofo View Post

wanted to update the thread im now running 5 garrisons covering all professions.. i dont have skinning i have a supplier for that currently
    Barn should be able to supply you with all the leather you need.

If you truly want to optimize your wealth in WoW, then the more the merrier; however, that also means a huge time investment...

I originally thought I'd need 3 alts doing mining to supply my jeweler and whatnot.

Come to find out, I don't. I rarely ever log in and do their mines. Hell, I infrequently even do my mains mines. I still have plenty of ore.

I think 3 toons all supporting each other is plenty. Even 2 works.

For me its been about finding that balance of what I can recycle. Main is an alchemist/herbalist. I'm not using more than one or two types of herbs, which luckily aren't the ones my enchanter needs so I'm slinging those her way. I also don't need the ore much, so I've been slugging it back for when I level my BS. Didn't need the fur on the alchemist either, so all of those I've collected left me with a huge pile to burn through on the enchanter/ tailor.

I honestly think you could do it with 4 and cover everything pretty well, especially if one isn't a crafter.

I believe you're looking for minimal amount. Optimal would be 11 plus another 11 for each realm yours is connected to. But that's not exactly feasible and it would be a huge time-sink.

The more the better
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

TL: DR
    If i had to do it all over, would probably be able to finish the full setup of 8x100 with leveled followers and upgraded important stuff within 2 weeks. And with optimised set up you would probably end up with with a time commitment of about three hours a day to do everything.

Long answer/personal experience:

Ok, to give you some firsthand constructive feedback... That has been all i have done since launch, and at the moment im siting at 8 lvl 3 garrisons. Took me roughly 2 weeks of leveling from the get go, inclouding no previous experience from the beta and the launch ques (im on EU Delfias group, witch is in top 3 populated realms on EU).
    Right now it takes me roughly 2-3 hours a day to do my routine, of clearing gatherables and keeping the work orders rolling, plus another 2-3 hours every three days to keep them barns squirting that blood. Could be more efficient then that, mostly because i spend alot of time reloging back and forth to catch the trades in trade chat and mail stuff back and forth and my pc is not the best (no ssd). And up to this point i have been to lazy to set up a proper addon/UI pack to make the stuff a bit easyer on myself.

the only thing i could see would matter with more characters are salvage yard and barn once you get them lvl 3

salvage yard can contain boe items that can make a ton of gold, and the barn for savage blood. perhaps barracks for more followers/missions to support the salvage yard.

all other buildings are irrelevant outside of your main/1-2 alts

The first thing anyone should do is play the intro quest-line to unlock their Garrison and start collecting resources on any toons they have that are level 90+. Next, one would likely want to get to level 94 on all those toons to get the level 2 Garrison and trade buildings churning our materials to support their learned trades if possible / profitable. Get level 100 followers with the corresponding trade skills into those buildings ASAP. Anything after that is pure gravy.

Depends how much tolerance you have for logging alts and micromanaging their garrisons. Even getting an alt to the first tier is quite beneficial, but the more you have the more time consuming it is. I have about 5 running at the moment but already I'm starting to neglect eg, the mines.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rale89 View Post
    TL: DR
    If i had to do it all over, would probably be able to finish the full setup of 8x100 with leveled followers and upgraded important stuff within 2 weeks.
    You don't need to level them at all really. You probably get more from having two level 91 alts than one level 100 and it takes a lot less time.

Of course it all depends what you're planning to do with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had 11 barns running right now, I would make 50k gold a day just off the barn. Sadly I only have 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    If I had 11 barns running right now, I would make 50k gold a day just off the barn. Sadly I only have 1.
    I highly doubt it - unless you mean savage blood, for which you need not only 11 barns but 11 level3 garrisons to be able to build level 3 barn, which requires 11x 100 level toons that are minimum geared to be able to solo the Nagrand elites for cages.

so yeah - it can generate nice income but the effort is massive

Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    I highly doubt it - unless you mean savage blood, for which you need not only 11 barns but 11 level3 garrisons to be able to build level 3 barn, which requires 11x 100 level toons that are minimum geared to be able to solo the Nagrand elites for cages.

so yeah - it can generate nice income but the effort is massive
    This is a valid point, but pet classes can easily solo the rares, and the Defender bodyguard will tank the elites easily for lesser geared nonpet toons.

I only have 2 level 3 garrisons and it is already becoming too much for me to maintain. Spamming missions on both, keeping track of the follower abilities and counters, clearing mines and herb garden every day, keeping the war mills running and taking care of profession work orders everyday... it really adds up in time. I can't imagine many people being able to do more than 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I only have 2 level 3 garrisons and it is already becoming too much for me to maintain. Spamming missions on both, keeping track of the follower abilities and counters, clearing mines and herb garden every day, keeping the war mills running and taking care of profession work orders everyday... it really adds up in time. I can't imagine many people being able to do more than 2.
    I hear you.

I don't want to turn my entire WoW experience into garrison maintenance. I love garrisons, but at a certain point you can have too many, and then all your time is going into maintaining. I think 3 is the max I ever want. It would feel like another game to me if I spent ALL my time in my garrison.