Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

China bans all religion-related activities in a muslim-heavy region...

So, it's a few days old news, but I haven't seen a slightest mention of it on my countries' news portals, and I'm not even hoping it would be mention on TV, which is why I only heard about it today.

China banned all religion-related activities in Xinjiang region, which is inhabited mainly by muslims. Starting from January 1, citizens will not be allowed to, for example, perform their prayers on any property owned by the state - which means mainly the streets and government offices, I suppose.

More details here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...w/45339051.cms

Your thoughts? My opinion is pretty much this - serves them right. I wish EU governments had enough balls to do anything remotely similar to Chinese, instead of patting the muslims on their heads and putting up with their constant shit.

I don't mean to spark a flamewar here, so please, keep it civil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

I'm glad to live in a place where people can practice their religions without legal repercussions. If the government has the authority to fuck with people over their religion, they have the authority to fuck with me over my lack of religion.

Only in China.

Deleted
    Don't see the issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    what? They're removing peoples freedoms.

They're not hurting anyone. Are they?
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2014-12-04 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post

Very problematic region with quite frequent murder sprees, http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-30258011 latest one.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida

Unluckily China doesn't guarantee freedom of religious practice. There are plenty of other places in the world where some religions are banned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm glad to live in a place where people can practice their religions without legal repercussions. If the government has the authority to fuck with people over their religion, they have the authority to fuck with me over my lack of religion.
    Well, China is officially an atheist country, so that's unlikely to happen. But the point here is - the government tolerated them for years and years, and they didn't appreciate it and kept performing terrorist attacks - as the article says, the last one was in March; 30 people died and 140 were injured.

Not per se, from what I gather. Those who break the law will probably be fined at first, and if they keep doing that, they will face trial - but since it's China, the sentences will probably be harsh. Unless you mean if it's the muslims hurting people - in this case YES, they are, by all means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    My opinion is pretty much this - serves them right.
    Serves them right because...?
    Last edited by Chelly; 2014-12-04 at 03:05 PM.

Great job China. Religious activity should be done in private places only, such as inside peoples homes. Any new religious buildings should be unmarked and not flaunt religion. The closest church to my house is a regular building, a person who just arrived would not be able identify it as a church from the outside. They are respectable people and they have no need to force their views, nor their religious symbols on anybody else. It works great. New mosques should be unmarked, those tower/spires are wasteful and not needed.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-12-04 at 03:00 PM.

Can't remove what you don't have. Even in America concerning the Patriot Act and Islam.

Anyways, it's a plurality lead of Uyghurs, so obviously this would have happened sooner or later. They are known for their self-determination goals and religious freedom and independence from China.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I'm done here, why did I actually bother to give a serious reply on page 1 I guess this is a perfect example of why discussions on the internet are so fucking pointless
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Overthrowing governments is far different than trying to influence a population

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Servers them right because...?
    Obviously can't speak for the OP, but there are hardly any muslim countries where freedom of religion is guarantueed. So it's very much an oppressive ideology being oppressed.

Deleted
    So basically they are criminalising the Uighur. (whom they have been cracking down on for a good 6 or so years now). I'm sure reducing inclusion on society will end well...
    Inb4nextterrorattack.

Perfectly fine by me. Wish the US would do the same. "In God We Trust" was added in the 50's people to our money. The founding fathers were pretty clear about separation of church and state.

10+ Year Old Account

Your thoughts? My opinion is pretty much this - serves them right. I wish EU governments had enough balls to do anything remotely similar to Chinese, instead of patting the muslims on their heads and putting up with their constant shit.
    I'm with you. But something like this will mostlikely never happens here.

Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, it's a few days old news, but I haven't seen a slightest mention of it on my countries' news portals, and I'm not even hoping it would be mention on TV, which is why I only heard about it today.

China banned all religion-related activities in Xinjiang region, which is inhabited mainly by muslims. Starting from January 1, citizens will not be allowed to, for example, perform their prayers on any property owned by the state - which means mainly the streets and government offices, I suppose.

More details here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...w/45339051.cms

I don't mean to spark a flamewar here, so please, keep it civil.
    A region of high tension related to Muslims, commited by them or against them. Ain't saying it's right, but if this method works, I suppose it's one kind of solution. Though people aren't known for fighting less when you push a boot down harder on their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    You probably wouldn't, given your authoritarian post history.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    So basically they are criminalising the Uighur.
    False. They are banning prayer meetings in government buildings, schools, and business offices. Limiting logos associated with religious extremism and outlawing videos that spread and teach Jihad.

I don't understand why anyone thinks any of those are acceptable.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-12-04 at 03:10 PM.

good measure, would love to have it in my country (specially against evangelic religions which are spreading like aids around here, every corner has a little building they call "home of god" lel)

Deleted
    Surprising number of people in this thread are all for banning religion.

Gotta love the mentality of "freedom" mixed with blatant oppression.