Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Lol the argument here should be in favor of releases being more worldwide not saying "you don't have a right to watch it bitch!"
    Hey. I'm not against them doing that, and they should. That still doesn't give people the right to see it if it isn't available to them.

There are many things I can't see or do because they are not available in my area. That doesn't make me go try to steal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orly View Post
    But someone else did, and that someone decided to share it. Are you saying it's illegal to share things you paid for?
    Actually, the law states that it is, yes. At least the laws pertaining to this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Oh, and if they don't release it in your location, fuck em, they weren't going to get any money off you anyway if they can't be arsed releasing it where you can buy it, so there's no lost profit there.
    Your statement was totally reasonable until this part. There is profit loss. You could find a way to get to an area where you can view the movie the legal way. Yes it would be stupid expensive just to see a movie, but too bad.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Same goes to you.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/steal

First link on google. Notice the verbs take, appropriate, move, seize and gain. All imply obstruction of one's access.

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    In the case of creative professionals, you have denied them the ability to make money off of their creation.

So while you didn't steal their product, you did steal their income.
    only when they can proof that he would've paid for it if he couldn't pirate it, and they can't, so no, thats not true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Maybe the dictionary?

take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.
    ^ there you go. I see nothing about depriving the rightful owner.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Actually, the law states that it is, yes. At least the laws pertaining to this thread.
    Can you link the law in question?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/steal

First link on google. Notice the verbs take, appropriate, move, seize and gain. All imply obstruction of one's access.
    From your link.

to take (something that you are not supposed to have) without asking for permission

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You are making a copy for you to take. so what I said is still right.
    No, what you said is nonsense. Let's just for the sake of argument talk about paintings. Let's say I make a copy of a painting (like I paint a copy myself or hire a guy that can do that) - is it stealing the painting? What if I make an HD photo of the painting that shows it exactly as it is seen live? Is it stealing?

Movie is the same thing only it also has audio and it must be watched and heard in motion for the whole length of it.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Show me where it says this in the definition for stealing.
    steal
    stēl/Submit
    verb
    gerund or present participle: stealing
    take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.
    "thieves stole her bicycle"
    synonyms: purloin, thieve, take, take for oneself, help oneself to, loot, pilfer, run off with, abscond with, carry off, shoplift; embezzle, misap
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    I have the internet, I pay for it, it is on said internet, the person distributing it is doing something illegal, not me I am just watching something made available to me through which the medium I pay for makes available. Watching something is not illegal.
    Ahh, gotcha. You just don't believe in receiving stolen property laws.

Well go and learn the meaning of the verb "take" in this case. Or better yet, go back to first grade while you're at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    You're saying you'll gladly pay for a digital item that's available for purchase to >YOU<, but it's not available for purchased to >YOU<, you'll just take it?

So you're saying "I'd like to do things legally, but instead of waiting X months for it to legally be purchased by my fellow countryman I'll illegally obtain it"?
    Exactly, I'm not paying for mediocre service.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

If you take it, it implies it's not there anymore for the owner. That's kind of what the word "take" means.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    steal
    stēl/Submit
    verb
    synonyms: purloin, thieve, take, take for oneself, help oneself to, loot, pilfer, run off with, abscond with, carry off, shoplift; embezzle, misap
    People really need to learn what "take" means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    steal
    stēl/Submit
    verb
    I see nothing about denying the rightful owner.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you understand what the word take means. The word take means to .. you know, take. To remove from. For them to no longer have because you have it.

Hows about this link then:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...ition-of-theft

A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

Can you link the law in question?
    I'd LMGTFY but I don't feel like getting infracted.

10+ Year Old Account
    People really need to learn what "take" means.
    Are you not "taking" a copy?

10+ Year Old Account
    So copying is not stealing as you do not take no one's property.