Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    When you take the DVD/BR out of the drive, your friends/family can no longer watch it. You're not copying the contents of the movie to their machine, you're merely playing your licensed copy on a different player. It's your single license that you can do what you want with it (to a certain extent...).

When you take the DLC disc out of the drive, your 6 friends could still use the content that you copied from the disc. You have a license to have and use the DLC maps, but your 6 friends never purchased a license. You've copied the content to their machines -- and as Bungie owns that content, they determine who is allowed to copy their software. They state in their software license that you can't transfer or duplicate the software to anyone who doesn't purchase a license. You duplicated the software to 6 people who didn't purchase a license, thus violating their copyright.

Pretty straightforward.
    Are you 100% sure that I agree to any of that? Where in my purchase of the DLC maps did it say any of that stuff? Where/when did I agree to only a specific license?

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    Because Steam provides a gaming ecosystem that you can't pirate your way into, and is completely locked down with an incredibly robust DRM scheme. .
    Not true. You can easily get into the game's .exe you got installed through steam without steam itself. So if you were personally inclined to pass out a couple of copies to your family then you could easily do so by copying the file in all it's glory and then show your family where the .exe file is and play it through that.

The reason why you don't see steam being cracked all that much because it isn't mandatory by any stretch. It's not tied to any games like uplay, origin, or GFWL is where those constantly get cracked after a matter of a month or two.

Steam is merely a storefront or a pretty bad DRM if that was truly it's intent.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2014-12-29 at 11:32 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    To play devils advocate, I don't think its much easier at all. Sometimes Hulu/Netflix don't even have complete series, and often times if they do, its behind the "prime" memberships.. so not only do I have to pay for my internet bill, I have to pay for "prime" services AND watch ads/commercials. I don't think thats necessarily easier at all. Its just that I can watch it on my console/pc instead of just a cable television.

I can only speak for netflix as it is all I have.

$8 (rounded) will get you access to all of the shows/movies they stream with no extra strings. No commercials or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got subscriptions for HBO Nordic, Netflix, Spotify and WiMP. 10 years ago I would download the hell out of music, movies and series because I never found the stuff I was looking for in stores where I lived. I liked metal and older movies. Where the hell was I supposed to find metal and old movies in a small town with barely 5000 citizens? Now all that pirating made me realize what kind of stuff I liked and as I grew up I started buying all the things I knew I already liked. I have spent far more than the average person on entertainment over the past few years, and piracy have helped me find out who I should give my money to. I pirated Warcraft 3. Blizzard should be very fucking happy I pirated Warcraft 3 because I wouldn't have cared about WoW coming out if I hadn't pirated Warcraft 3. And Game of Thrones? I wouldn't have bought all the books or a HBO Nordic subscription if I hadn't pirated the first two seasons of Game of Thrones.

I stopped pirating music when Spotify came out because Spotify can fullfill almost all my music needs (youtube is fantastic as well), but on Netflix I can't find 9 out of 10 movies or series I'm looking for. Sure I use Netflix most of the time, but I still can't find the newest episodes of almost all shows I'm watching. I go to the cinema once or twice a month so I'm okay on the movie front, but I still pirate older movies I can't find on any streaming services. I already pay as much as I can afford to them, they should be happy about all the free advertisement piracy has given them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Netflix is like 6 quid for unlimited access to masses of content for an entire month.

This movie was something like 4 quid for 90 minutes.

The right price for Netflix may not be the right price for a single movie.
    Movies on Netflix are older movies that studios already recouped their investments on the production of the movie. so they can afford pennies on the dollar to show them. New movies need to make upwards of $100 million or more before they are profitable

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Orlong, your post history speaks for itself.

That being said, once again, how do Steam and Netflix thrive when everyone can get everything they offer for free, sometimes in better quality?
    If everyone who pirates instead subscribed to netflix or subscribed to Steam, they would triple their profits. Honest people are the ones using those services because they offer a good value. Cheapassed pirates still pirate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Movies on Netflix are older movies that studios already recouped their investments on the production of the movie. so they can afford pennies on the dollar to show them. New movies need to make upwards of $100 million or more before they are profitable
    When you say this how old are you talking about?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Are you 100% sure that I agree to any of that? Where in my purchase of the DLC maps did it say any of that stuff? Where/when did I agree to only a specific license?
    http://www.bungie.net/en/View/Bungie/eula

BY OPENING THIS PACKAGE, DOWNLOADING, INSTALLING, AND/OR USING THE PROGRAM, YOU ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT AMONG YOU, BUNGIE, INC. (“Bungie”) AND ACTIVISION PUBLISHING, INC. AND ITS AFFILIATES ("Activision"). IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO INSTALL, COPY, OR USE THE PROGRAM.
    Right there.

You agree that you will not do, or allow, any of the following: (1) exploit this Program or any of its parts commercially; (2) use this Program on more than one computer/console at the same time
    And right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I can only speak for netflix as it is all I have.

$8 (rounded) will get you access to all of the shows/movies they stream with no extra strings. No commercials or anything.
    I was speaking about Hulu as well, which has the premium service with commericials. But neither Hulu, nor Netflix has a hugely broad selection. I've foundd many a night where I was spending more time browsing than anything. Not to say they don't have a lot.. but yeah, its not always complete and they don't always have every season of a show. So say I wanted to watch show "x" from the beginning, and Netflix only has seasons 5-7... I guess I am SoL..?

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    I didn't want to risk getting blown up....

Just kidding, I've not even bothered to download buy it yet.
    This. I refuse to even watch it, that was a hell of a advertising campaign for the movie.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    I was speaking about Hulu as well, which has the premium service with commericials. But neither Hulu, nor Netflix has a hugely broad selection. I've foundd many a night where I was spending more time browsing than anything. Not to say they don't have a lot.. but yeah, its not always complete and they don't always have every season of a show. So say I wanted to watch show "x" from the beginning, and Netflix only has seasons 5-7... I guess I am SoL..?

Join the crowd.... I missed out on many things because they weren't available to me. Thats life, You don't always get everything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    None of this was with the CD I purchased back in 2007 or maybe 2008. It didn't state that anywhere. Not in/on the package, not when you inserted the disc.

at OP

im glad i pirated the interview, downloaded it, watched it, deleted it, and thought to myself what a load of shite im so glad i didnt waste any money on this. once i pirate a movie if i like it i still go to the cinema to see it with my mates or buy the dvd. i feel no shame in saving my money for GOOD movies, also piracy isnt stealing its just making a copy. " theft is removing the original, piracy is making a copy ".

Join the crowd.... I missed out on many things because they weren't available to me. Thats life, You don't always get everything you want.
    Unless you pirate it I guess. My point being, companies could avoid a lot of pirating by not being so greedy and making their products more accessible.

companies could avoid a lot of pirating by not being so greedy and making their products more accessible.
    think thats the point in services like netflix and other streaming sevices

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you pirate it I guess. My point being, companies could avoid a lot of pirating by not being so greedy and making their products more accessible.

Or people can stop thinking they are entitled to everything.

I have to ask though. What is the logic in calling them greedy? Wouldn't it be greedy to release it everywhere so they can make more? How are they being greedy if they limiting their profits?

15+ Year Old Account
    My dad insisted on renting it to see what all the fuss was about, we all sat around watching it Christmas morning - easily the worst movie I've seen in a decade, and a contender for worst movie ever (worse than Gigli and Glitter) the only movie that might give it a run for its money is Christopher Lambert's Beowulf- but that's an ignominious award.

I wish we had pirated it to deny Sony $6, not because I care about $6, but because they should be paying people to sit through it, not the other way around.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And I didn't miss out on anything, because I pirated. And here we are both. You with missed out things and I'm without. Because with movies you can always get everything you want. It's all in the attitude.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    And I didn't miss out on anything, because I pirated. And here we are both. You with missed out things and I'm without. Because with movies you can always get everything you want. It's all in the attitude.

Sorry I'm not an ass that thinks I deserve everything. I'm ok with the fact that I won't be able to see everything I want. Can you say the same?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have to ask though. What is the logic in calling them greedy? Wouldn't it be greedy to release it everywhere so they can make more? How are they being greedy if they limiting their profits?
    They are a business - they are greedy by definition. No greed no business.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Or people can stop thinking they are entitled to everything.

The reasons they are limiting access? Why else? Why do you think Netflix doesn't always have every season of every show? Same with Hulu, they only show the most recent 5 episodes of some shows, or they only have access to the most recent season,