Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mistweaver Challenge

Hello guys, anyone here doing challenge modes as a Mistweaver?

I used to do it as a ret with my group but i ended up rotating to the healer spot because we needed one hunter to lust for us. Anyway, ive got one silver on my paladin and done 3 silvers so far (we are still aiming silvers till we learn and get more used to each other) as the mistweaver. Next step is Skyreach and we cant get through the second boss.. the damage is just TOO high. Any tips? Discussions?

10+ Year Old Account
    to be honest, if you plan on getting golds I suggest getting a druid or a Shaman or even a disc priest to heal your runs (in that particular order) I got a few silvers on my MW, but tried it on my Shaman and it was significantly easier especially on fights with high AoE damage, Monks don't have anyway besides Revival to get the group back up, so on the second boss, not only do you need to heal the tank, but also put envelops on everyone tanking a beam, and heal up the big aoe burst, while as a shaman, I just pop healing tide and everything is golden, next time ascendance, next time cloudburst with elemental mastery/chainheal.
    Sig by Beautiful Jassinta

Deleted
    Honestly, don't bother trying CM's as Mistweaver..

Level an alt and heal on that character. In the end it will actually have saved you time.

I tried Skyreach and it was a total disaster on second boss, as you also mention.

Renewing mist, enveloping mist, soothing mist combined with spamming instant Surging mists and still I could keep the tank barely alive. So yeah. Like, I was doing the absolute most possible single target healing my class can do, and still the tank barely died. And of course if you manage to keep him alive, then others in the group die.

We did manage to kill it after 5-6 tries. But it takes a group that is very aware of everything, like the tank not taking any smashes (in my case he did). Dps need to pop cooldowns and health tonics appropriately in order to kill this boss at first try.

If people tell you it's possible on Mistweaver: ignore them.
    Yes it MAY be possible, but it will take a very knowledgeble group that not makes 1 single mistake.

I'm talking about Silver runs btw, gold is most likely impossible.
    Last edited by mmoc9b3cf529b2; 2015-01-14 at 08:19 AM.

Agreed, skyreach 2nd boss was horrible on my monk also. Can't remember if I did it on my shaman but can't imagine it would be difficult and it was fine on my druid, just truly awful as monk- other classes can single target and aoe heal at the same time, monks just can't since people aren't close enough for rjw on this boss as they have to take beams, and renewing mist is terrible in 5 mans + you can't really uplift since the tank gets so smashed that you need to keep enveloping him. Beam targets would need enveloping also but you can't generate that much chi. Thunder focus tea + surging, life cocoon and revival can save you for a few seconds but they have long cds. To do this as a monk you'd need dps with strong personals who use them at the correct times, an OP tank for CMs like a DK and quite a lot of luck. If I ever want to do golds on my monk it will be as windwalker - mistweaver is fun in raids but I'm not touching CMs with that spec unless there are significant changes.

Quote Originally Posted by JabJabUplift View Post
    If people tell you it's possible on Mistweaver: ignore them.
    Yes it MAY be possible, but it will take a very knowledgeble group that not makes 1 single mistake.

I'm talking about Silver runs btw, gold is most likely impossible.
    My gold group has a MW healer and we have some very strong gold times. He says the skyreach second boss is the hardest part of the dungeon for him, but we kill it every time so how hard could it really be? Another boss that he seems to have trouble with is Bonemaw in shadowmoon, but he manages to heal it fine also. Here's his youtube channel if you want to see what he does for all of the CMs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dp4DQFT99M

As you can see the video is in two parts because he disconnected and the tank (me) died and we still got gold. Anyway, my point is that gold CMs are absolutely possible with a monk healer. So is skyreach second boss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JabJabUplift View Post
    We did manage to kill it after 5-6 tries. But it takes a group that is very aware of everything, like the tank not taking any smashes (in my case he did). Dps need to pop cooldowns and health tonics appropriately in order to kill this boss at first try.
    This is what CMs are about. Don't mess up mechanics and use CDs intelligently. I agree that monks do seem weaker at single target heals. But if your tank is standing in smashes (or even just one smash) then you won't kill the second boss and your group definitely doesn't have what it takes to get gold. It's that simple. Your group wiping doesn't necessarily have anything to do with monks healing ability. Your tank needs to do absolutely everything possible to avoid damage so your healer can keep the group up, and it sounds like he wasn't. Smash is an easily avoidable mechanic. And if handling the beams is what's causing him to be smashed then dps need to handle them instead. On challenge mode the tank should absolutely avoid the beams imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yinfaitl View Post
    To do this as a monk you'd need dps with strong personals who use them at the correct times, an OP tank for CMs like a DK and quite a lot of luck..
    I'm a prot warrior and we did this pre-buff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tempo View Post

I used to do it as a ret with my group but i ended up rotating to the healer spot because we needed one hunter to lust for us. Anyway, ive got one silver on my paladin and done 3 silvers so far (we are still aiming silvers till we learn and get more used to each other) as the mistweaver. Next step is Skyreach and we cant get through the second boss.. the damage is just TOO high. Any tips? Discussions?
    Also, you can use drums for lust instead. You don't need a hunter/mage/sham.

This post got me pretty depressed, the 2nd and 3rd replies anyway. But I couldn't really believe it, so I decided to bring my monk to our brand new CMG group on a trial basis ("if it sucks as bad as that thread on MMO-champs said, I'll bring something else!"). I have a well-geared resto druid. Honestly though, I feel a lot more comfortable on my monk and it's my main now (and was in MoP) so I'm going to play it.

And really, I don't see what the issue is. It took us awhile for the 3 we've done, but that was the group learning the flow of the dungeon, not like, the group learning how to carry a MW. Maybe a druid can save the day easier, or allow people to stand in bad stuff. I don't know. But so far at least, MW has felt pretty good. It's challenging for sure, as it should be. My group is amazing too, so that helps. Nobody is getting carried.

So hopefully 4/8 tonight. I have yet to do Skyreach or Everbloom, they are supposedly tough. But I'm not really concerned at all.

Just wanted to make a post here in case any other impressionable MW's read the top and lose hope.

Keep your hope, and fight on

Edit - in case anyone was wondering, Monk tank, me, Rogue, Hunter, Mage/DK so far has been our group makeup, and we've done auchindown, shadowmoon, and iron docks so far, tackling grimrail tonight hopefully.
    Last edited by -Zo-; 2015-01-19 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HitpointSC View Post
    My gold group has a MW healer and we have some very strong gold times. He says the skyreach second boss is the hardest part of the dungeon for him, but we kill it every time so how hard could it really be? Another boss that he seems to have trouble with is Bonemaw in shadowmoon, but he manages to heal it fine also. Here's his youtube channel if you want to see what he does for all of the CMs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dp4DQFT99M

As you can see the video is in two parts because he disconnected and the tank (me) died and we still got gold. Anyway, my point is that gold CMs are absolutely possible with a monk healer. So is skyreach second boss.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what CMs are about. Don't mess up mechanics and use CDs intelligently. I agree that monks do seem weaker at single target heals. But if your tank is standing in smashes (or even just one smash) then you won't kill the second boss and your group definitely doesn't have what it takes to get gold. It's that simple. Your group wiping doesn't necessarily have anything to do with monks healing ability. Your tank needs to do absolutely everything possible to avoid damage so your healer can keep the group up, and it sounds like he wasn't. Smash is an easily avoidable mechanic. And if handling the beams is what's causing him to be smashed then dps need to handle them instead. On challenge mode the tank should absolutely avoid the beams imo.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a prot warrior and we did this pre-buff.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you can use drums for lust instead. You don't need a hunter/mage/sham.
    Thank you for your reply.

What amazes me in the videos is the amount of stuff he clicks on and the fact the he never uses his tea charges.. Im sorry to say that and dont get me wrong but if feels like you guys are carrying him. He has solid mechanics but he wont CC a single add and he doesnt even see the casts of the mobs because he is busy clicking to heal.. this is absolutely amazing because im pretty confident i can on a higher level than he does (which is not hard) and even help with CC and cutting casts. So yeah, im absolutely not trying to look cool here or being mean to your friend but he can improve A LOT and make your gold times even more solid. Anyway good work everyone, you guys really do some big damage and coordinate CCs and stuns really well.

What amazes me in the videos is the amount of stuff he clicks on and the fact the he never uses his tea charges.. Im sorry to say that and dont get me wrong but if feels like you guys are carrying him.
    To his credit, we ran 8/8 without multistrike or spellpower buffs. Which, unless I'm mistaken, are a MW's best buffs. The mage in that everbloom video is a one-time replacement for our hunter who always brings crit. This is our normal comp in everbloom, which is also the realm best time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dAAagBqWL8

I think we're all in agreement that he carries us to a degree. Thanks for the compliment, but I don't think our dps is above average by CM standards. Our actual dpsers are good, but we lost a lot by me being a protection warrior (I'm talking pre-buff). DK, monks, and pallys often top their damage meters. But, I was usually struggling to keep up, and woefully behind on single-target bosses.

Also, I asked him, and he said that spending globals on tea stacks is often incorrect in CMs, and will cause deaths on most of the really mana intensive pulls. We plan these out enough that he knows exactly when he can drink. However, he does agree that he clicks too much.
    Last edited by HitpointSC; 2015-01-21 at 09:15 AM.

I have completed 8/8 Golds so it is definitely doable. This is my first time trying for challenge modes also. I completed them (mostly) with a blood dk, ret paladin, arms warrior, and usually a hunter (although sometimes a mage, lock, or spriest).

What kind of trouble are you having or did you have any specific questions?

From my limited experience, I'm doing better for gold CMs on my Resto Druid alt that I barely know how to play than on my Mistweaver. Those of you who know me should know that's just pathetic. I can probably forget to use a cooldown on my Druid and still keep people up better.
    Legion Mistweaver Stat Weights SPREADSHEET --- Stat weights DISCUSSION THREAD
    Follow @GeodewMW for off-topic funsies and notifications for important MW theorycrafting posts!
    IF WE MISS YOUR QUESTION, please ask again! You're not being annoying, I promise

Quote Originally Posted by Geodew View Post
    From my limited experience, I'm doing better for gold CMs on my Resto Druid alt that I barely know how to play than on my Mistweaver. Those of you who know me should know that's just pathetic. I can probably forget to use a cooldown on my Druid and still keep people up better.
    Perhaps it is because rdruids are easier to play and not that MW are incapable of completing CMs? Also maybe you aren't that great of a MW? The team that I ended up making gold with didn't initially want to take me because just before me they had a MW that couldn't keep them up. They took a shot on me and in just a couple attempts we made gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd-Stormrage View Post
    Perhaps it is because rdruids are easier to play and not that MW are incapable of completing CMs? Also maybe you aren't that great of a MW? The team that I ended up making gold with didn't initially want to take me because just before me they had a MW that couldn't keep them up. They took a shot on me and in just a couple attempts we made gold.
    I'm fairly certain the problem is not the player in my case. Lol ;P

My point was more that I'm a Mistweaver theorycrafter and have been since 5.2, so as this point I basically know almost everything there is to know about Mistweaver and how to play it optimally, even in dungeons. I parse very well in raids, got Proven Healer as MW (wiped on purpose at Wave 36 because it was time for raid, could have gone higher if I wasn't bored of it), Cleared 9/9 MoP CMs as MW, etc. etc., yet for all the knowledge and practice I have with Mistweaver, I can pick up a Resto Druid and do better with it this expansion in CMs without knowing one single piece of high-end theorycraft, only just from reading Icy-Veins and Noxxic (ugh, I know, but I wanted to cross-reference with Icy-Veins). THAT, my friends, is why it's absolutely pathetic how terrible MW is at this.

I'm not saying you can't do gold, but it's definitely far from the best CMs healer, from my experience, but also from what people have been saying on these forums who have tried CMs with multiple healers.
    Follow @GeodewMW for off-topic funsies and notifications for important MW theorycrafting posts!
    IF WE MISS YOUR QUESTION, please ask again! You're not being annoying, I promise

This thread is kind of old, but what stat priority would you recommend for Mistweaver CMs? I've done 8/8 gold on my DK and warrior and have some decently ranked US times, so I know the pulls/tricks/etc. I main BrM but I'd really like to try out healing them as MW (maybe I'm secretly a masochist or something), but I'm not sure if MS, Crit, Spirit, or Haste are the way to go.

I know MS is usually king but I assume that's on account of resetting RM and RSK, but neither of those seem like primary sources of healing in a CM setting. Meanwhile crit generates mana tea (for now) but I'm not sure how often drinking mana tea will be viable if mistweaver throughput is as abysmal as some make it out to be. Haste is not as great for throughput and burns mana pretty quick, but it does lower the GCD and improve "bursty" healing through EM and RM ticking faster, which seems like it wouldn't be entirely useless for this content (though I don't know how badly haste converts to tick speed or GCD reduction so it could just be total crap). Spirit is always a mystery and largely depends on the group so I'm not sure there. This is my reasoning for the above question, I didn't want it to sound like I don't know the raiding stat priority or the spec at all, was just wondering if anything changes since CMs are such a unique setting.

Deleted
    Thank you for your reply.

What amazes me in the videos is the amount of stuff he clicks on and the fact the he never uses his tea charges.. Im sorry to say that and dont get me wrong but if feels like you guys are carrying him. He has solid mechanics but he wont CC a single add and he doesnt even see the casts of the mobs because he is busy clicking to heal.. this is absolutely amazing because im pretty confident i can on a higher level than he does (which is not hard) and even help with CC and cutting casts. So yeah, im absolutely not trying to look cool here or being mean to your friend but he can improve A LOT and make your gold times even more solid. Anyway good work everyone, you guys really do some big damage and coordinate CCs and stuns really well.

Was gonna comment on how he clicks & never seems to stun or interrupt anything. A lot of the spells you'd use for CM's/Proving grounds/PvP he doesn't seem very comfortable with at all. Even PvE-wise he doesnt have diffuse magic binded

- - - Updated - - -

Or nimblebrew, fort brew, paralysis, statue or tea :/. Haven't done CM's yet on my monk but done to wave 54 in endless PG's. And the amount of damage they can peel with interrupts & stuns is their one redeeming feature

Deleted
    Finished all 8/8 as MW, didn't find it that hard. Mainly the spike damage on the tank and the small AoE burst that the bosses do can be a struggle. But if you use your CDs at the right time and people use their on CDs with HP pots it shouldn't be a problem.

MW in CMs are really fun! If you have a DK tank you can fistweave on a couple of bosses and do a lot of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyoran View Post
    This thread is kind of old, but what stat priority would you recommend for Mistweaver CMs? I've done 8/8 gold on my DK and warrior and have some decently ranked US times, so I know the pulls/tricks/etc. I main BrM but I'd really like to try out healing them as MW (maybe I'm secretly a masochist or something), but I'm not sure if MS, Crit, Spirit, or Haste are the way to go.

I know MS is usually king but I assume that's on account of resetting RM and RSK, but neither of those seem like primary sources of healing in a CM setting. Meanwhile crit generates mana tea (for now) but I'm not sure how often drinking mana tea will be viable if mistweaver throughput is as abysmal as some make it out to be. Haste is not as great for throughput and burns mana pretty quick, but it does lower the GCD and improve "bursty" healing through EM and RM ticking faster, which seems like it wouldn't be entirely useless for this content (though I don't know how badly haste converts to tick speed or GCD reduction so it could just be total crap). Spirit is always a mystery and largely depends on the group so I'm not sure there. This is my reasoning for the above question, I didn't want it to sound like I don't know the raiding stat priority or the spec at all, was just wondering if anything changes since CMs are such a unique setting.
    Int >> Haste > Crit >= Multistrike >> Versatility > Spirit >> Mastery

Haste is best because it provides an emormous amount of burst throughput (EM, which is a large percentage of your healing, double-dips on Haste), even considering its mana drain, and burst has always been king in Challenge Modes. Haste also helps maintain EM uptime at critical moments. Crit is great as a second stat because the bonus mana tea helps make up for the mana loss, or you can take Multistrike which has a +5% affinity. Versatility is bad because tank healing is the most important, so the damage reduction isn't as helpful as in raid settings. Spirit provides a low benefit because most of your mana comes from drinking water. Mastery is bad for the same reasons as in raids, or even worse because it's not bursty and hard to get that healing onto the tank.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Naissus View Post
    Finished all 8/8 as MW, didn't find it that hard. Mainly the spike damage on the tank and the small AoE burst that the bosses do can be a struggle. But if you use your CDs at the right time and people use their on CDs with HP pots it shouldn't be a problem.

MW in CMs are really fun! If you have a DK tank you can fistweave on a couple of bosses and do a lot of damage.
    The problem I was seeing compared to my RDruid is that my tank would pop IBF for large pulls (where Army wasn't an option) and then after it fell off, I would throw up LC after a second or two, and then he'd be dead 3 seconds later. Percentage reduction cds are just too good when the damage is so heavy.

Running with a Ret Pally for Sac or DPS Warrior for Vig sounds like a good idea, but in 6.1 when CE is buffed, you'd ideally want to be using that to counter the Mana Tea nerf, but you can't if you have any melee whatsoever. Rather frustrating.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Absurd-Stormrage View Post
    I have completed 8/8 Golds so it is definitely doable.
    It is!
    Druids/Priests and shamans are just better suited for it.
    I really admire those who can get through 8/8 gold on a MW without being carried. It's a LOT harder than on the other classes.

But hey - It's what challenge modes are for, right? Challenges!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Geodew View Post

The problem I was seeing compared to my RDruid is that my tank would pop IBF for large pulls (where Army wasn't an option) and then after it fell off, I would throw up LC after a second or two, and then he'd be dead 3 seconds later. Percentage reduction cds are just too good when the damage is so heavy.

Running with a Ret Pally for Sac or DPS Warrior for Vig sounds like a good idea, but in 6.1 when CE is buffed, you'd ideally want to be using that to counter the Mana Tea nerf, but you can't if you have any melee whatsoever. Rather frustrating.
    I can agree that it's frustrating that they get nuked so hard. But ALWAYS have Enveloping Mist up on the Tank, use your Thunder Focus Tea to spike heal the tank with Surging Mist.
    That's what I've been doing and it was fine, DON'T be scared to waste mana. You'll have time to Mana tea during the next pull within the first 2-3 seconds where the tank doesn't take damage and ask if you can get a few mana breaks, it shouldn't cost you the Gold.

Deleted
    I think one of the greatest problems that plagues this game are shit tanks who don't use active mitigation and I'm talking about 90% of tanks I encounter don't have any defensives in their buff uptimes.

I tried 1 CM with a DK. He was doing 3k hps on a pack where he was requiring 40k single target healing. All his runes into blood boil and not a single death strike. From there I just quit cause it's so normal.

6% shield block uptime. Gr8 m8. Not like 50% is what your class is balanced to having

Quote Originally Posted by Baenesur View Post
    It is!
    Druids/Priests and shamans are just better suited for it.
    I really admire those who can get through 8/8 gold on a MW without being carried. It's a LOT harder than on the other classes.

But hey - It's what challenge modes are for, right? Challenges!
    When people say "carried" on these Monk forums, they don't mean someone else is doing the REAL healing btw. They don't mean that they paid for 4 people to literally carry them; they mean that you almost NEED to roll with a good comp or you're fucked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Naissus View Post
    I can agree that it's frustrating that they get nuked so hard. But ALWAYS have Enveloping Mist up on the Tank, use your Thunder Focus Tea to spike heal the tank with Surging Mist.
    That's what I've been doing and it was fine, DON'T be scared to waste mana. You'll have time to Mana tea during the next pull within the first 2-3 seconds where the tank doesn't take damage and ask if you can get a few mana breaks, it shouldn't cost you the Gold.
    Yeah, I'm totally aware; my tank was dying through Surgings and EMs and was doing 75-80% of my HPS, so he wasn't getting carried (and it's my same tank that I love and trust who was BrM for our MoP 9/9 CM groups). I think part of the issue was that our DPS on trash was slow, so nothing was dead or dying when IBF fell off for those big pulls -- coming full circle to "good comp or bust" when it comes to Mistweaver.
    Last edited by Geodew; 2015-02-16 at 11:34 PM.