Disc - Real healing synergy vrs the numbers

I am currently raiding with strong aoe healers and I want to back off my bubble spam, focus more on tank first and intensive aoe damage with bubble spam instead of constant shielding. That seems great when I say it but on application it puts me in lower percentages in WoL. Since when I do overheal it always counts as effective healing even though it isnt effective healing in fact it is highly ineffective. It pushes all other healers into overheals ie- they aren't over healing I am. I have even tried to bump my penance with reverse Leap of Faith but that is not a good answer really. Raiding with friendly group but eventually the numbers always matter when they see other priests doing 40k. Heck who likes to be third to a druid. Anyone tried healing differently? I have been trying a few things but as always when you try new things at the beginning you tend to not be very good at it.

• Is there a better more efficient way to heal in a group and produce high numbers while maximizing our spec?
    • Should I just try to get more spirit and haste and crit?
    • Or is it a worthless endeavor because bliz made us this way and heal like a dps?

So the other healers are complaining that you're ruining their numbers, and now you're being scrutinized because now your numbers aren't as good? Seems like an unwinnable situation. This other healers vs. disc movement that's been gaining steam lately is really ridiculous to begin with. If you're pre-shielding for damage you're not being ineffective and the other healers can work on 1) what your shields don't absorb and 2) the people you didn't shield. Don't change your play style to appease others. A good raid will recognize the utility that disc brings to the table and won't qq about their own logs.

Quote Originally Posted by chrrie View Post
    So the other healers are complaining that you're ruining their numbers, and now you're being scrutinized because now your numbers aren't as good? Seems like an unwinnable situation. This other healers vs. disc movement that's been gaining steam lately is really ridiculous to begin with. If you're pre-shielding for damage you're not being ineffective and the other healers can work on 1) what your shields don't absorb and 2) the people you didn't shield. Don't change your play style to appease others. A good raid will recognize the utility that disc brings to the table and won't qq about their own logs.

This, Disc will naturally increase overhealing in the rest of the raid, because its shields are prioritized first when damage comes in, you need to just not worry so much about it. If their over healing is really that bad, it sound like they are healing people who dont need heals, and stepping on each other instead and then complaining about it. If the issues is threes not enough to heal if they dont overheal, then you may be running too many healers (general rule, 1 healer per 5 people in raid).

fact is, disc priests, while they have very high parses, are not through put healers. They cause other healers actual healing to drop a little due to how shields work. when people talk about how op disc is, its only op in that shields have an advantage in that they effectivly heal istantly when the damage is taken, which can make encounters easier due to keeping people out dangerous low health. As a result of this priority, priests have very little over healing. If you look through logs of alot of guilds and top parses, you will likely find that all the healing classes have fairly equal raw throughput, in other words, they all have the potential to put out he same amount of healing. The issue becomes that disc does very little over healing compared to other healer, effectively sniping heals which increase other healers over healing. When you then look at logs, the number difference looks really bad.

Deleted
    I've kind of always healed as Disc with this mentality and I find the key to balancing it is communication with the raid healers and trust that their healing is capable of healing up minor damage, it also helps if your other raiders can see absorbs on players which will assist them reduce their own overheal for example they could start hotting just before a shield burst instead of blind hotting. Actually this may be the key issue with Disc vs everyone else although other healers know a disc is shielding, without a good visual guide it is easy to miss time a heal or apply hots on targets who don't need it.

"Go do something else it's causing me to overheal!", switch to tank heals with a pally and watch their beacon turn into 50% overhealing... Overhealing does not mean switch priorities (unless tank deaths are happening, then you need to stop worrying about logs and do what's best for the raid) it usually means that the group could stand to drop a healer.

If you are forcing healers into that much over healing, then you need to drop a healer. If your other healers are seriously complaining about their own HPS, then find a new group to raid with.