15+ Year Old Account

having issues in normal 5 mans ^MW^

as the current state i'm having issues in 5 man's when it comes to boss fight's im sure its my gear but i fear it may be my talents or just lack of gear so i'm here asking for some advice below is my armory link

thank you for the time

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...ollow/chunlii/

its your class. the stupid mana tea nerf hit undergeared players the hardest.

Yeah the Mana Tea nerf was brutal for lower geared players. Getting a second ring with spirit on it will help a lot.

For your talents, my only suggestion is take Chi Burst over Chi Wave. It only has to hit 2 targets (including you so 1 other) to be equal in terms of healing. If you hit more than 2 it's better.

For glyphs I run Renewing Mist, Soothing Mist, and Targeted Expulsion/Detox. If you were to keep glyph of Mana Tea don't add glyph of Soothing Mist since both of them allow you to be more mobile.

Other than that you just have to keep going. Mistweavers aren't that strong in 5mans so it's going to be rough until you outgear the content.

10+ Year Old Account
    In 5 mans, Chi Wave is generally good, it's a smartheal and is gonna hit 7 targets within 25 yards. Often on 5 man boss fights players are spread out and this makes Chi Burst ineffective. Chi Wave costs no mana, so try and hit it on cooldown. Pick up [Glyph of Targeted Expulsion] which will make your expel harm heal other players but at a cost of reducing its heal by 50%. It's not a big heal, but worth it nonetheless. Also I like [Glyph of Detox] which gives a free heal when dispelling someone. Keep your [Glyph of Renewing Mist]. If you have gold and lots of it, go to the AH and get pieces like neck, ring, cloak and trinket with as much Spirit as possible. If you don't have much gold, just get whatever has the most Spirit. Also enchant your weapon with [Mark of Shadowmoon] which gives Spirit. Try to make up for your low ilvl by buffing yourself with an intel flask and eat some food that gives multistrike. Intellect flasks are pretty cheap on my server, like 5-16g each. They are very worth the cost.

While you are playing your goal is to generate as much Chi as possible and spend it as fast as possible to generate Mana Tea stacks. So practice hitting your Expel Harm on cooldown (this is vital). I reiterate, hitting Expel Harm on CD is very important and the best Mistweavers have mastered using the ability. Now I see you have the level 100 Talent [Pool of Mists]. Some say that is not as good for 5 mans and that may be so in terms of raw healing, but one benefit of the talent is you can generate Chi quickly because each time you hit Renewing Mist you generate Chi. Try generating a lot of Mana Tea stacks on trash so you go into Boss Fights with like 10 stacks or so. If you have a group and they are not taking a lot of Damage, don't be afraid to fistweave in Crane Stance which helps generate Chi as well. There is a Mistweaver Guide on the forums here that goes in to detail about how to Fistweave.

The above is what I have done to help overcome the Mana Tea nerf as a low ilvl MW Monk.
    Last edited by MW4Life; 2015-03-02 at 06:19 PM.

Deleted
    5 man normals are some of the most challenging content to heal (when at a gear appropriate level) and no that isn't sarcasm I genuinely mean it. I was farming for a piece of gear, on my main. Fistweaving most of everbloom 680 monk no problamo for me I thought.

Literally, the tank pulled a pack and I have no idea what the fuck was going on but I ended up doing 50k hps in everblooom normal over 30 seconds. Sounds like I'd be bullshitting you but if you think in terms of moron tank taking 20-30k dps and 3 moron dps taking 10-15k it's really not unbelievable at all.

Stay strong

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinandwin View Post
    5 man normals are some of the most challenging content to heal (when at a gear appropriate level) and no that isn't sarcasm I genuinely mean it. I was farming for a piece of gear, on my main. Fistweaving most of everbloom 680 monk no problamo for me I thought.

Literally, the tank pulled a pack and I have no idea what the fuck was going on but I ended up doing 50k hps in everblooom normal over 30 seconds. Sounds like I'd be bullshitting you but if you think in terms of moron tank taking 20-30k dps and 3 moron dps taking 10-15k it's really not unbelievable at all.

Stay strong
    "Stay Strong"

All of what you said is true, especially the quoted.

OP, 5 mans, both heroic and normal, are indeed very tough. Tanks not using defensive cooldowns while trying to pull everything at lightning speed because he/she thinks it makes them look like a "leet" player. You have DPS ignoring the mechanics and failing to interrupt. Hardly anyone CC's anything, and to top it all off when they have taken all their insane amounts of damage and you need to drink, they often don't like to wait. Often they couldn't care less about you. You're just a healer there to get them through their mistakes and when you don't, it's all your fault.

Blizzard wanted to make these 5 mans challenging, and the role they challenged the most is by far the Healer. By FAR. Add to that, you play a Mistweaver Monk. Mistweavers are not the easiest healers to play which is why they are not a dime a dozen like Priests and Druids. Add to that they just nerfed the hell out of mana tea, you really have your work cut out for you. Never forget how in these instances how the burden of success is not equally shared and you bear the brunt of it, healer. I know this because it is far easier and less stressful to tank them on my monk than it is to heal them on the same monk, and my tank set is a lower item level!

The healing world is flooded with FotM Priests and Druids.... so boring. Please stick with your Monk, take advantage of the guides and advice here. Check out icyveins, and do whatever it is you can to get some better gear. All classes are gear dependent, but the Monk especially so, and now doubly so after the recent mana tea nerf. It's really not cool how Blizzard completely screwed over lower ilvl monks with that change, but that's a post for another day.

Anyway like I said earlier try to get yourself some AH gear if you can afford it. Also do a few BGs to get some 620 gear, especially for pieces that don't have Spirit like Legs, feet, chest, etc. After you get to a level where you can run LFR, do so. That gear really helps. I don't have a single piece of gear from a raid over LFR difficulty and I do well in heroics. I got my 680 ring, LFR gear, three crafted pieces, a 645 trink from follower missions, and I purchased a 665 Spirit ring from the AH. Very modest gear,my ilvl is only 640-something 5, I think).

To echo what spinandwin said "Stay Strong" and add to that be patient and take the time to learn your class as best you can. This is no easy mode Priest... where you can almost mindlessly smash a few buttons and say "lookie I am the top of the metersz." It's may not be viewed as fair to some, but understand as a Monk you'll have to work twice as hard to heal as good as the easy mode healers. IMO, that is what makes monks awesome!

Dungeons are hard on Mistweavers for a variety of reasons. We shine like a crazy diamond in a raid environment, though. Do what you can to get higher ilevel gear so you can get into LFR and then normal raids. Here's what I did:

1. A week of Ashran + random BGs will get you close to a full set of 620 PVP gear
    2. Where's your ring from Khadgar's quest?!? Get that ASAP! You get a 640 ring for free and can easily upgrade it to 680.
    3. Craft some 640 gear with one of your professions (or get a friend to help)
    4. Level 100 rares drop ilevel 600+ gear, sometimes 620
    5. About halfway through Nagrand, the quests start rewarding 600-610
    6. Weekly gold in Dungeon Invasion has a good chance of dropping a piece of 645 gear

I mean, what's with that 582 ring? You can get an ilevel 600 ring from a quest in Nagrand. Given your gear, all that time banging your head against the wall in normal dungeons (ugh) would be better spent finishing the quests in Nagrand and clearing out some higher-level rares there.

Normal dungeons are hell and heroic dungeons are purgatory for Mistweavers. Get out as quickly as you can!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinandwin View Post

My apologies, but I meant to address this earlier. I suspect this was the trash before Archmage Sol....

I don't know if it's just me, but I am asking anyone out there if they believe Blizzard in 6.1 buffed the trash just before Archmage Sol. Before 6.1, I could always heal it no problem, but now it's heroic raid levels of damage and I can hardly keep people up. I mean I am blowing Revival, Cocoon, got Fort Brew on myself while spamming Uplift like a mad man and we still either wipe or come away barely alive. That trash now puts out an absolutely absurd amount of damage and to make it worse, they CC you like PvP. It makes the trash in Grimrail train cars seem like piddly quest mobs. The group damage suffered on the trash before Archmage Sol is so intense I wonder if it's intended. I am ready to submit a bug report, really.

So if that's the pull you're talking about in Everbloom, I hardly think you're BS'ing and I also don't know what's going on.

Deleted
    Just get some spirit items and maybe get some mana potions if your having trouble. You can also get the Ever-Blooming Frond from the inn and that will help also.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MW4Life View Post
    My apologies, but I meant to address this earlier. I suspect this was the trash before Archmage Sol....

I don't know if it's just me, but I am asking anyone out there if they believe Blizzard in 6.1 buffed the trash just before Archmage Sol. Before 6.1, I could always heal it no problem, but now it's heroic raid levels of damage and I can hardly keep people up. I mean I am blowing Revival, Cocoon, got Fort Brew on myself while spamming Uplift like a mad man and we still either wipe or come away barely alive. That trash now puts out an absolutely absurd amount of damage and to make it worse, they CC you like PvP. It makes the trash in Grimrail train cars seem like piddly quest mobs. The group damage suffered on the trash before Archmage Sol is so intense I wonder if it's intended. I am ready to submit a bug report, really.

So if that's the pull you're talking about in Everbloom, I hardly think you're BS'ing and I also don't know what's going on.

Oh, that trash is quite challenging as well. But it was actually the trash to the right as you enter. Which isn't even hard.

What goes on in that pack is (I think) the mobs apply a dispellable debuff that does a lot of damage. If too many are pulled the debuffs go out at a faster rate than you can dispel. So you're forced to heal through it. Revival is our only mass dispel so yeh, rip.

I mean, like I said earlier. It's grand when you overgear it. But while its pretty comfortable to go to 40-50k hps in raid gear, it's not fun with a noobie geared healer. I have a pala I'm gearing very lazily and it just copes so much better in those 5 mans than my mw did at the same gear level.

That being said my low geared MW experience largely stems from pre enveloping buffs (buffed by 50% twice since then) and pre LC buff

I just hit 100 on another monk (I have two, one's BM/WW) for a MW. It's been absolutely horrible trying to get through these level 100 normals. I'm actually having trouble gearing up because of it. It takes forever to get through a 5-man because we can't pull very fast, and of course i'm having bad luck on drops (10 dungeons completed, 12 pieces of loot, only 1 of which was needed). Ilvl is still 603. Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by grimsanta View Post
    I just hit 100 on another monk (I have two, one's BM/WW) for a MW. It's been absolutely horrible trying to get through these level 100 normals. I'm actually having trouble gearing up because of it. It takes forever to get through a 5-man because we can't pull very fast, and of course i'm having bad luck on drops (10 dungeons completed, 12 pieces of loot, only 1 of which was needed). Ilvl is still 603. Bleh.
    Just keep them in your bag then go into LFR

After I dinged 100 on my monk I went to Ashran. Its really easy to gear up there, even if you don't like pvp (I'm mainly a raider). Use the group finder to quickly get into an Events group, then just follow the other 40 people around. There's not allot of pvp going on, its mostly just pve events with a chance of some pvp. And it makes for a stress-free way to practice healing if you're not familiar with it. I dinged 100 on the weekend and I'm already in full 620 gear and I ran LFR last night, and I haven't stepped into a single dungeon. Once my gear is better I'll run the dungeons for the legendary ring, but they should be much easier then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MW4Life View Post

Your group was just standing in shit and failing to interrupt Dragon's Breath. They didn't buff the trash, there are just fewer decent players doing random heroics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

7+ Year Old Account
    One thing I can tell you is: don't necessarily expect to fistweave much.

With random pugs, especially, where stupid DPS stand in things and die too easily, your heals can be too in-demand for fistweaving to be useful. I've definitely fistwoven through whole dungeons before with competent guildies, but don't go into a pug expecting it to happen.