Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Biological clocks.

Okay, so whats the deal with this? I just found out my older sister is preggers. Everyone is all "OMG CONGRATS", and i'm all like..."how long are you gonna be out of the labor market?"

She had just got a decent paying job shortly after marriage. Why have a kid now of all times? I worry for her. The guy makes decent money ...but still. Why would you wanna be dependent?

Are women just biologically inclined to have children in their prime or what?
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2015-03-12 at 04:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because most people like the joy that a child brings - Especially one they can call their own.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    The guy makes decent money and she landed a dude that makes a decent amount more..
    This part confuses me. She has 2 dudes?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Yeah I need to break it off with her.

Sorry bigz!

Deleted
    Gets considerably harder to get pregnant as you get older. At 40 it's less than 5%, after 43 it's barely 1%.
    Last edited by mmocfb6c003936; 2015-03-12 at 04:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Typo.

The U.S Labor market isn't kind to women who take time to have children...yet. Her potential earnings might squander because of this little liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post

Sorry bigz!
    So you're the OTHER guy... sup bro?

Typo.

The U.S Labor market isn't kind to women who take time to have children...yet. Her potential earnings might squander because of this little liability.
    I heard that, most of the civilized world gives generous maternity and usually paternity time, I thought. Is the US an exception as usual?

10+ Year Old Account

Sorry bigz!
    The baby comes out with a corgi body...

*Shakes fist while screaming "MANAKINNNNNNNNNNN!"*

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    Gets considerably harder to get pregnant as you get older. At 40 it's less than 5%, after 43% it's barely 1%.
    And the chance of Down Syndrome accelerates.

Deleted
    An image of women's fertility and infertility by age.

But given my interaction with women so far (Bar a few cases) they've always had this image of getting with a guy who's established within a career, has a home, is attractive and big dicked and loves kids.

Soon enough they'll hit 30.

They'll probably continue to be single and obtain cats at a projected frequency as calculated by yours truly at one per year until they find a poor sou- Partner.

Inb4 not all women.

I know.

It's anecdotal.

The baby comes out with a corgi body...

*Shakes fist while screaming "MANAKINNNNNNNNNNN!"*

Eh, not all women are interested in having children. I'm 28 and I've yet to feel my "biological clock" start ticking. If I see a baby my only goal is to get as far away from it as possible.

Obviously I respect peoples' decisions to become parents and I think that's great if that's what they want to do. I just don't think we're all inclined that way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I heard that, most of the civilized world gives generous maternity and usually paternity time, I thought. Is the US an exception as usual?
    Well it depends by the country I guess.

In Swedistan it's quite generous (And even mandated) In the U.K it's a little stricter, especially for men, but also acceptable.

Canada has good maternity leave as does France, Finland also is decent according to an old guildie I used to play with (He's reliant on state aid).

But then we have the U.S.

I think it's 3 weeks paid at most?

But given my interaction with women so far (Bar a few cases) they've always had this image of getting with a guy who's established within a career, has a home, is attractive and big dicked and loves kids.

They'll probably continue to be single and obtain cats at a projected frequency as calculated by yours truly at one per year until they find a poor sou- Partner.

Inb4 not all women.

I know.

It's anecdotal.
    my mom has been wanting a kitten..

does this mean she's planning to kill my dad and become a cat lady?

i need to know

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    my mom has been wanting a kitten..

does this mean she's planning to kill my dad and become a cat lady?

i need to know
    Depends...

Has she also been dropping hints she'd like some grandkids?

WE NEED TO KNOW HOW SERIOUS THIS IS.

Depends...

Has she also been dropping hints she'd like some grandkids?

WE NEED TO KNOW HOW SERIOUS THIS IS.
    well she HAS a grandson but she's been pressuring me for a granddaughter IS IT IS GETTING SERIOUS

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Yup. The federal requirement (if you have worked at the place for at least 12 months, have worked 1250 hours over the last 12 months, and they employ more than 50 people in a 75 mile radius) is 12 weeks of unpaid maternity leave. Some states (California, New Jersey, New York, and Hawaii) offer paid leave. e.g. in California, it's 6 weeks at 55% pay.

Comparatively in Canada, it's 15 weeks at 55% (up to a maximum of $501/week), with another 35 weeks that are shared and can be divided up as the couple chooses.

I think it's 3 weeks paid at most?
    Zero weeks paid in just about all states.
    Last edited by Masark; 2015-03-12 at 04:48 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Nepinator View Post
    Eh, not all women are interested in having children. I'm 28 and I've yet to feel my "biological clock" start ticking. If I see a baby my only goal is to get as far away from it as possible.

Obviously I respect peoples' decisions to become parents and I think that's great if that's what they want to do. I just don't think we're all inclined that way.
    TBH this is my opinion as well.

I also dislike kids until they're like.. four. and can walk/ talk. then they're fun to be around until they're teenagers.

10+ Year Old Account

Inb4 not all women.

I know.

It's anecdotal.

YOU ARE NOT THE FARTHER

http://giphy.com/gifs/challenge-lol-...-sIkBvjtRW5l8A

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yup. The federal requirement (if you have worked at the place for at least 12 months, have worked 1250 hours over the last 12 months, and they employ more than 50 people in a 75 mile radius) is 12 weeks of unpaid maternity leave. Some states (California, New Jersey, New York, and Hawaii) offer paid leave.

Zero weeks paid in just about all states.
    Well dang.

I thought I read on Reddit somewhere it was 3 weeks paid but employers must have ultimate discretion in the end.

Oh to be a women in the U.S

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry dude I'm shooting blanks at the moment!

Until I come off that is.

No little pattering of tiny corgi feet in the Bigz household!

...Yet