Any biking "experts" here ?

Hai.

Basically. I am now 29. I am at my worst shape ever. Ive been unemployed for close to 7 year with illness. I have Diabetes with complications. That's why i haven't been working.

Ive tried before. Running and walking, but i have issues with my feet as well. (did not draw the longest straw to say the least) It lasted for a tiny bit. Then pain and issues happened and i stopped and went back into my own world of depression and the biggest fml mode possible.

However. Last year i started cycling a bit. I bought a road bike and i have been enjoying it,

I have a route that is about 11 km (~6.8mile) long. With a few steep climbs. i spend about 40 min on that route. As stated earlier i am in a bad shape. I try to do it 3-4 times a week.

My goal for this "season", before snow falls again. Is 600km (~372 miles). now in April i am at 100.6km(~62.5miles). So i should be able to reach my goal.

But to improve. What should i do. Should i go on longer trips ? should i keep running the same 11 km (~6.8mile) route over and over til i improve my time drastically ? Say run the same route til i manage to do it in less than 25min and then start going on a longer route ?

What should i do ?

Deleted
    I'm maybe not the best person to ask, as I bought a bike last year (hybrid, but just upgraded to a road bike) and immediately started doing 60-80km rides......I tend to go all in...even though it meant a period of having a very sore arse!

But, you may want to do a mix of interval training (shorter rides, but with short periods of high intensity), with maybe hill training for strength (bigger muscles will help you immensely), with a long ride at a comfortable pace once a week.

You'll get more if you mix it up and do specific (intensity, strength) workouts, rather than just medium intensity cardio. You'll find that shorter work outs at a higher level (intensity or strength) will let you make gains much much more rapidly than just trying to incrementally increase a cardio workout. And you'll find your long rides get faster and easier and longer as a result of this.

If you don't mind splashign out a bit (not too bad depending on model) a turbo trainer is good for intensity workouts and training when the weather is bad. Rollers are good, but a bit harder to use due to need to balance.

Turbo Trainer:

roller:

One of the best things about biking in my opinion: You almost can't do it wrong. As long as do it according to your capabilites, preference and available time you will always going to see results. Imo the most important thing with any sport is motivation: If you are having fun success will come on its own, if you have to force yourself it most likely isn't going to last very long. Having fun is a personal preference, so you need to decide yourself what gives you the most satisfaction.

As a beginner one of the best motivations could be one or more like-minded or more experienced persons who are willing to help you. I mostly ride alone, but i need some variety so i try change my route once in a while. Running the same route is a perfectly fine way to do it, if it suits you.

I started biking last year - so i am by no means an expert - but i ride a lot (50 to 100 km a weak during the summer) and i have read some expert advice on the matter. The first year or two is mostly about aquiring some basic stamina, so i would just try to ride as much as possible without any further restrictions for at least one season. After that if you have some understanding about your capabilites your can start including special features like more and longer climbs, sprints or time trials. At this point i would recommend to by a good book (i have Joe Friel's "The Cyclist's Training Bible"), even if they are mostly directed towards professionals you can get a lot of information out of them.

My personal advice to would be this: Try to do a longer tour once a weak (1 to 2 hours in the beginning, later 2 to 3 or even longer), not only to experience the limits of your physical capabilites and push them further in the process but also to get some sense and confidence of your mental strenght in the face of feeling the pain in every fibre of your body . Having overcome such challenges can boost your self-confidence big time.

Last but not least one of the most important aspects many beginners misjudge: don't push yourself to hard! Rest is important no only for your body to regenerate but also to remain motivated. It takes time to cure aches, injuries and illness, your body will thank you afterwards if you don't overstress him. Being lazy once in a while and going out with friends, partying or just hanging out has never harmed anyone before. On the other hand most beginners quit in the first year because they burned out themselves by pushing to hard with overconfidence or impatience.
    Last edited by luckydevours; 2015-04-29 at 12:04 AM.
    Guns don't kill people! Toddlers kill people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.

I'd just try to increase the time spent in the saddle, not necessarily the speed you're going at. When I was cycling a few years ago, I never really worked on speed itself, but always tried to increase distance slightly. The increases in speed just sort of happen along the way. As you lose weight (assuming this is one of your issues), you'll find yourself having a much easier time with hills.

Do other routes, longer, etc... switch it up so things don't get dull for you, and just enjoy riding. That'd be my recommendation.

Some good solid tips here. I will try to get incorporated into my exercise regime.

Thanks guys

Most of the advice here is spot on. You should be aiming for 3-5 rides a week. If doing 3 rides you should have a short ride (10-20 kms), then a long ride (100-160 kms), and then a medium ish ride at roughly 60kms. This all depends on your physical fitness level though. The biggest thing though is to GET YOUR BIKE FITTED FOR YOU. Ridding the wrong size bike or a bike that is improperly fitted can be VERY hard on your body. Aside from that the average recommended pace increase is about 12%. (Each week increase your distance by 12%). Also you should really buy a cadence meter. Try to keep your cadence in the 90-110 range. Stay away from trainers if you can unless absolutely necessary.

Edit: Tight core lose arms/hands. Spin don't push.