[Challenge Modes] What is the ideal dps spec for each class?

Really curious, what is the best dps spec to play in challenge modes for each class? Mainly wondering for dps classes like rogue, warlock, mage, etc. since one spec can be better than the others because of aoe, scaling, or other factors.

Please let me know where I am wrong, but from what I understand:

Death Knight:
    Unholy > DW Frost > 2H Frost

Druid:
    Balance > Feral

Hunter:
    BM > Survival >> MM

Mage:
    Frost >> Fire > Arcane

Rogue:
    Combat > Assassination > Subtly

Shaman:
    Elemental >= Enhancement

Warlock:
    Demo = Destro? >> Affliction

Warrior:
    Arms >= Fury

Then obviously Paladins, Monks, and Priests don't really have a choice for damage specs. Though, I imagine Disc > Holy for a priest healer in Challenge Modes.

hunters should be BM for trash and MM for bosses if spec changing is feasible

Quote Originally Posted by waat View Post
    hunters should be BM for trash and MM for bosses if spec changing is feasible
    I also do CMs with a rogue who changes spec for trash vs. boss (not sure which specs tho).

For Rogues, it is Combat / Subtetly > Assa.

You pretty much want to play both Combat and Subtetly for most effectiveness as rogue in CMs, combat for AoE/cleave and subtetly for pure burst ST.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Shaman player I can somewhat confirm the dps shaman' position. Both can be equally potent in both single and multi target, but ele gets the technical benefit of being ranged.

I'd definitely echo waat, SV is only useful for sustained AoE, BM is much better burst AoE and is thus the better spec for trash. MM wrecks bosses. I'd switch between BM and MM, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tythal1474 View Post
    Really curious, what is the best dps spec to play in challenge modes for each class? Mainly wondering for dps classes like rogue, warlock, mage, etc. since one spec can be better than the others because of aoe, scaling, or other factors.

Please let me know where I am wrong, but from what I understand:

Death Knight:
    Unholy > DW Frost > 2H Frost

Druid:
    Balance > Feral

Hunter:
    BM > Survival >> MM

Mage:
    Frost >> Fire > Arcane

Rogue:
    Combat > Assassination > Subtly

Shaman:
    Elemental >= Enhancement

Warlock:
    Demo = Destro? >> Affliction

Warrior:
    Arms >= Fury

Then obviously Paladins, Monks, and Priests don't really have a choice for damage specs. Though, I imagine Disc > Holy for a priest healer in Challenge Modes.
    For Hunters you want BM/MM for AoE/single (also you can't play BM for Ragewing in UBRS still for some unknown reason).

Rogue you want Combat/Sub but tbh Combat's single target damage is still competitive outside of ST burst alone.

Warlock Demo has insane burst, like ridiculous, but its sustain will be lower. Demo is really strong for dungeons where you do one massive pull and then switch to destro for the rest from my experience.

Warrior you want Arms for cleave, Fury for ST. There is an interesting argument to be made for Gladiator as your st spec since it doesn't share Recklessness with Arms, but I haven't tested it myself.

as far as I remember u can't change spec (talents for sure) during runs going

Quote Originally Posted by Zstr View Post
    as far as I remember u can't change spec (talents for sure) during runs going
    You can change specs. You can't change talents or glyphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyoran View Post
    For Hunters you want BM/MM for AoE/single (also you can't play BM for Ragewing in UBRS still for some unknown reason).
    You "should" be able to play BM just fine for Ragewing, you just have to micro manage your pet a tiny bit. There is some kind pathing related bug where your pet will not engage the boss unless he is directly infront of where the boss "hovers" over the side of the bridge. If you just have your pet on assist, he will stand at your side uselessly when you attack the boss. However, if you use the "move here" command to place him right where the tank would normally stand just as the boss is coming in, the pet will attck the boss with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    You "should" be able to play BM just fine for Ragewing, you just have to micro manage your pet a tiny bit. There is some kind pathing related bug where your pet will not engage the boss unless he is directly infront of where the boss "hovers" over the side of the bridge. If you just have your pet on assist, he will stand at your side uselessly when you attack the boss. However, if you use the "move here" command to place him right where the tank would normally stand, the pet will attck the boss with no problem.
    Good to know, thank you. Our hunter was complaining about it the other day so I'll let him know.

well then for druids for bosses feral would be better then balance as they do more single target dps, but have no aoe for packs then boomkin

10+ Year Old Account
    Fury is better than Arms because CMs are pretty much all burst AoE from what I know.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

if you need help with challenge modes, you can add Micex Mitrex on skype

Deleted
    Im playing CMs quite competitive and got 8/8 realm best on the realm i play

imo its all about the composition you have, you want a variety of buffs, utility and CC

Imo for dos ONLY without thinking of CC/utility/comp it is:

Death Knights: Unholy > Frost
    Druid: Balance > Feral(this is very close since boomie scale on gear a lot and feral can bring ALOT of single target dps to the table)
    Mage: Frost>Fire>Arcane(even tho arcane/fire does not come CLOSE to frost)
    Warlock: there has been a great many discussions on this but for AoE demo wins bit over destro but destro nukes demo in ST so i would say Destro>demo>aff
    Warrior: Arms no brainer fury can't compete
    Shaman: Enchancement>Elemental - Ench brings way more AoE and same ST.
    Rogue Combat with MoD is sick.

As an added bonus the optimal setup for a CM for completion is probably blood DK/Frost Mage/BM hunter/Destro lock/Rdruid

if i had to rank tanks aswell since i am a tank myself i would say
    DK>Monk(hard to play VERY hard in cms)>Warrior>Pala>druid
    For healers Rdruid>disc priest>Holy Priest>Paladin>rsham>mw monk

I'd switch between BM and MM, personally.
    Last edited by uihsongshi; 2015-04-20 at 07:47 AM.