10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    ...anyway, I edited out my line about the industry standard of a remake vs remaster, because it detracted from the rest of my post. Think what you will, however I do think that it is impossible to define the exact link where a remaster becomes a remake. There are so many games now that span the range from simple port to reimagining that allow for a gray area where we will disagree about what is what on some games. That's all I'm saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Then why do gamers disagree so much on message forums about what is a remake and what is a remaster?
    Because the vast majority of people on gaming boards have no idea about what software development entails.

There's virtually no assets that can be re-used with some touchups from a 1993 gameboy game when remaking it in full 3D 26 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Because the vast majority of people on gaming boards have no idea about what software development entails.

There's virtually no assets that can be re-used with some touchups from a 1993 gameboy game when remaking it in full 3D 26 years later.
    I totally agree about LA. I would be surprised if people disagreed about games at the far end of the spectrum.

My thoughts are that if you took every game that had ever been re-released and put them on a graph, and at one end of the graph was "very few upgrades" like maybe Dark Souls Remastered and at the other end was "complete overhaul, reimagining" like Resident Evil 2, that there have been so many rereleased games on that chart that some will fall in every place along that line. There will be games that fall directly in the middle of that line.

Those games that fall directly in the middle, may be referred to by some as a remake, and some as a remaster on message forums. It may be difficult to factually prove or disprove the classification of those in the very middle of that line, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post

While assets cannot be re-used, a map and plan is already made + story and this saves a lot of time when creating a game. All they had to do is re-create similar HD assets and put them on map.
    If this was a totaly new game, it would take a year or 2 more to create for sure.
    Only change they had to do on how the map moves from left to right and up to down as original had a moving screen by screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    While assets cannot be re-used, a map and plan is already made + story and this saves a lot of time when creating a game. All they had to do is re-create similar HD assets and put them on map.
    If this was a totaly new game, it would take a year or 2 more to create for sure.
    Only change they had to do on how the map moves from left to right and up to down as original had a moving screen by screen.
    This is not how it works, not how it works at all. They didn't take HD assets and plop them down on the game boy map. They had to recreate the map from the ground up. The original is just a series of 4:3 screens where you go to the end of one to see the other load up. Now the game is presented in 16:9 and the camera moves with Link in one world, not loading screen to screen. There is literally nothing they could re-use from it, it all had to be remade.

They had the original game as a reference to how to make the map, but something similar is true for every game remake or not. You think they start modeling a map blind? No, they have artists draw up what it should look like before hand. All this is done in pre-production before a game enters full development making it basically the same shit they have to deal with.

As for saying they didn't have to remake the story, how much development time do you think a story actually takes? It's usually written by 1-5 people depending on the scale of the game and edited by another 1-5 people again depending on the scale of the game. Stories don't take development time, what takes development time is actually putting the story into the video game. Most stories are already fully finished and just awaiting edits and script changes when full development on a game starts.

It honestly boggles my mind what some people in this thread are claiming how development works. Especially people who claim to be game devs(not you Yunru, just saying lol).
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-09-26 at 10:09 PM.

This whole is LA a remake or remaster argument is honestly dumb because the side who keeps saying it isn't also says it isn't worth $60.

All I see is a bunch of people wanting a excuse to say the game should be cheaper when they likely haven't even played it and they are using the "It was a GB game" as a excuse.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    This whole is LA a remake or remaster argument is honestly dumb because the side who keeps saying it isn't also says it isn't worth $60.

All I see is a bunch of people wanting a excuse to say the game should be cheaper when they likely haven't even played it and they are using the "It was a GB game" as a excuse.
    $60 US, it's $80 CAD. Plus tax. I'm not paying almost $100 in my currency for a remake of a game I can beat in 2 days. Fuck that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    $60 US, it's $80 CAD. Plus tax. I'm not paying almost $100 in my currency for a remake of a game I can beat in 2 days. Fuck that.
    Ok and? That doesn't say anything to the quality of the game itself.

It has taken me longer than 2 days to beat it and that's cause I never played the original, So to 100% it will likely take me around 30-40hrs. On top of that I'm playing on Hero mode so the game is harder.

You can beat Breath of the Wild in 15min's, Does that mean it also isn't worth $60?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    In honor of DQXI releasing they've got some pretty decent discounts on Square games on the e-shop. Perfect time to pick up a Final Fantasy game if you think LA is too short for the price.
    I can't check right now. They got XIII or X on sale? I've been holding off on X because of the price, and because there is no Japanese language option.

Quote Originally Posted by Usagi Senshi View Post
    Still using my OG launch joycons with no issue and I abused the fuck out of mine. /shrug
    I treated mine like gold, and my wife hardly used hers and they both have issues so meh, I just use the superior 8bitdo controllers now and play in tabletop mode, thing is heavy on the wrists if you have CT and play for hours anyways, the only time I use the joycon is when making levels in SMM2.

10+ Year Old Account

I can't check right now. They got XIII or X on sale? I've been holding off on X because of the price, and because there is no Japanese language option.
    XIII isn't on the switch so gonna assume you mean XII and yea both X and XII are on sale for $29.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    XIII isn't on the switch so gonna assume you mean XII and yea both X and XII are on sale for $29.99.
    sorry, I actually meant VIII, lol. It doesn't look like it's on sale, but I will pick up X/X-2 remastered. Already have XII, it's great.

sorry, I actually meant VIII, lol. It doesn't look like it's on sale, but I will pick up X/X-2 remastered. Already have XII, it's great.
    Oh yea, VIII is probably too recent for a sale yet.

I’m about 8 hours into DQXI and am loving it. I think one of the best parts is that nothing is missable, especially since it’s over 100 hours of content.
    Im 97 hours into the PS4 version, which has less content, and apparently i'm just over 2/3rds done. 100 hours is definitely lowballing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I treated mine like gold, and my wife hardly used hers and they both have issues so meh, I just use the superior 8bitdo controllers now and play in tabletop mode, thing is heavy on the wrists if you have CT and play for hours anyways, the only time I use the joycon is when making levels in SMM2.
    I really think the colours are a sign of which from the launch stuff will give you trouble. Everyone i know with blue/red have no problems, everyone with the grey has so many issues with the left one.

Color isn’t indicative of anything as they have identical hardware inside. The revised/lite have slight changes to the design to help combat drift, but we won’t know how effective they are for a bit.
    I know the plastic isn't making a difference but the grey box probably came off the line first and has the more flaws on average. What few switches i saw on shelves during its launch were the red and blue as all the grey ones were in demand, god knows why.

Ok... the drift issues are due to wear and tear, not defects. For the most part.
    The earlier ones didn't just have the drift issues though remember? losing connection if you moved like 7 feet or more from the unit, some with a dodgy battery life. It wasn't a RROD situation but there was some significant issues with those launch units. Which is par for the course of modern hardware releases really.

Two questions:

1. Any word on Metroid Prime 4, or a port of the Metroid Prime trilogy?

2. My SO and I are looking for a fun coop platformer/puzzle game... any suggestions?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

15+ Year Old Account
    The new 2d stuff in dq11 is pretty cool. You get to go to areas from past games.

Also i still have a gray launch unit with 0 issues

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Two questions:

1. Any word on Metroid Prime 4, or a port of the Metroid Prime trilogy?

2. My SO and I are looking for a fun coop platformer/puzzle game... any suggestions?
    They announced not too long ago that they pretty much restarted Metroid Prime 4 and brought back the studio from the other games. So it'll be a while till we hear anything new (inb4 news 5 minutes after this post)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    They announced not too long ago that they pretty much restarted Metroid Prime 4 and brought back the studio from the other games. So it'll be a while till we hear anything new (inb4 news 5 minutes after this post)
    I don't know that I'd called mid-January "not too long ago"... I was hoping there was some new tidbit kicking about but i guess not
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation